SASS Wire Forum

Mystery part on SKB 200E barrel

Kit Carson, SASS 60183

A small flat piece of metal came loose from the barrel of one of my SKB 200E's.  It looks like it was glued on because there is residue under where it was.  The photo shows the loose piece on top and my other 200E barrel with the same piece intact.  There is a hole but no place for a screw to thread into.

What is this?  Is it really glued to the barrel and with what kind of adhesive?

Kitskb.jpg.90605f1a38efc2ecd5e7b1126b44bca7.jpg

That's a spacer that is used to reduce the torque on the silver soldered barrel lug.  If you shoot that gun much without the spacer installed, your barrel lug will loosen up and come off.  Actually, it's the opening of the barrels that causes the torque on the barrel lug.  I am no SKB expert but I do have two of them.  I reattached mine with JB Weld and it has held for years.  

It is soldered not glued.  The residue is leftover flux.  It is not all that uncommon for this piece or the barrel latch to separate.   It needs to be repaired by someone that knows how to solder a shotgun barrel.

P8170352.thumb.jpeg.e820f5a82d70328390dc8182b0f2475d.jpeg

9 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Fast Eddie told me the same thing.

FE was working on a SKB of mine once and that piece was missing.  He cautioned me of needed repair.  Without hesitation I asked him to repair which he did in hotel room at a match we were attending.  I believe he used JB weld for repair.

On 7/24/2022 at 10:54 AM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

It is soldered not glued.  The residue is leftover flux.  It is not all that uncommon for this piece or the barrel latch to separate.   It needs to be repaired by someone that knows how to solder a shotgun barrel.

P8170352.thumb.jpeg.e820f5a82d70328390dc8182b0f2475d.jpeg

I had one come off exactly like that about 10 years ago.... It was 2 days before the SW Regional.

Didn't have time to find someone to silver solder it.... So I decided to JB Weld it, figuring I'd get it fixed "right" later.....

10 years now, more matches than I can count and it's still holding strong.

Since then I've JB'd a couple more for folks and they're holding too........

Disclaimer.......

I used JB weld because I needed it done Quik.......

I never expected it to hold as well as it has ......... The whole "trick" with JB Weld is surface prep!!

When I did the others for my shootin' buddies I explained that the JB fix was temporary.

The "Correct" way to repair it is silver solder by a competent Gunsmith.

Oh boy!  I've taken this journey before.  As others have already stated, this needs to be soldered back on.  The piece you showed came off my shotgun and later, the whole forend lug.

There are two places that specialize in this repair:

1. Briley Manufacturing (713) 932-6995

2. Mitch Schultz Gunsmithing LTD

3 Lacey PL

Southport, CT 06890

(203) 254-0436

I used Mitch Schultz because he was recommended by the new SKB company.  He did an excellent job, but the repair was north of $300 a couple of years ago.  A good friend used Briley and his shotgun barrel repair looks great.  Briley was more reasonable on the cost.

One of our top cowboy SKB gunsmiths likes to repair these with JB Weld, but that fix did not work for my gun and broke again in a few months.  Since my SKB has been properly re-soldered, I have had no problems.  One great recommendation I got from one of our SKB gunsmiths was to use a leather sleave that fits over the barrels and forend.  The leather sleave helps relieve the stress on the locking lug system, which is a weak design part of an SKB with a single forend lug. I wasn't aware, until recently, that later SKBs featured two forend lugs to help deal with this problem.

Archived