SASS Wire Forum

More on California's AB 2571

Several years ago a prominent California politician stated that “sometimes we don’t pay attention to the Constitution.”  This has never been more evident than with the recent passing of California Assembly Bill 2571, which was included with a number of anti-gun measures recently signed by Governor Newsom.   

Now, AB2571 does not have a direct impact on firearms ownership.  Rather, the new law – which, by the way, is effective immediately – places severe restrictions on firearms advertising.  Specifically, it forbids any advertising that may appear to appeal to minors.  A quick summary:  This bill would prohibit a firearm industry member, as defined, from advertising or marketing any firearm-related product, as defined, in a manner that is designed, intended, or reasonably appears to be attractive to minors....

So, what’s wrong with that?  Many things. 

Here are a few thoughts – what about nationally printed publications that may contain advertisements that the California lawmakers don’t like?  Can they bring legal actions against the publishers?  Or the advertisers?  What about Internet articles and marketing?  Will California practice censorship?   Hell… will Boy Scouts no longer be able to offer the shooting merit badges?  (Oh... and by the way, will this end kids participating in Cowboy Action Shooting?)

As one example of the human impact caused by this poorly thought-out legislation, below is a post copied from the Rancho Cucamonga News Group.  This legislative nonsense has to stop.

Please Help Get Lola’s Story Out!

I am the father of Lola Fitzgerald a junior youth competitive shooter who is a four-time Skeet All-American, a three-time Junior World Champion, and a four-time California State Lady Champ in Skeet shooting.  She is also a minor under the age of 18, residing in Rancho Cucamonga California.

Since the passage of AB2571, because my daughter is a minor living in California, she has been cut off from some of the national youth shooting groups.

For instance, she can no longer receive emails from National Skeet Shooting Association, a leading organization in her chosen area of sport skeet shooting, that would otherwise alert her to events and registration information for upcoming competitions.

My daughter is unable to contact USA Shooting, and they are unable to reach out to my daughter, because of her age and the reasonable fear that if they do advertise, market, or otherwise communicate with her (and other minors in California) the organization will expose itself to substantial civil liability under AB2571.

My daughter has also been unable to log into sites to see future tournaments and standings of the shooters as they compete.

All publications have stopped coming to my daughter, and coaches are canceling training clinics that she would usually attend.  We are unsure if we fly our daughter out of state to train whether the coaches would be in vionation of the law because our daughter is a resident of California.

Communications that we had with recruiting colleges such as Trinity, Hillsdale, Purdue, Jacksonville University & TCU have stopped because they are unable to communicate with youth in California regarding their shooting teams and opportunities because of her age and the reasonable fear that if they do advertise, market, or otherwise communicate with her (and other minors in California) they will expose themselves to substantial civil liability under AB2571.

Please call your Assemblymember!

#skeetnbows

#FoxNews

Thank you

Jay Fitzgerald

California State Skeet Champ: Lola Fitzgerald 12 years old .... WINS Doubles D-Class, 20g C-Class, 28g C-Class, 410 C-Class, Sub-Junior Champ, Lady's 410 Champ - worth mentioning she was HOA Runner-up, Lady's Doubles & Lady's 28g Runner-up & 3rd Place 12g D-Class!! She ran her very first 99 out of 100 in the 20g (almost a perfect game - dropping only 1 target)! Lola's dedication & hard work has paid off - What a difference a year makes! A HUGE THANK YOU goes out to her incredible Coach Chris Baker - he is 100% responsible for where Lola is at today! Her amazing squad has been a HUGE integral part in her development in this sport! Next Big One, Junior Worlds! Follow Lola at #skeetnbows
32972094_1691823584199284_52644902138491

33134469_1691823617532614_59114385391904

33154425_1691823637532612_71790316505110

Elected officials who knowingly and willfully violate the Constitution should be summarily removed from office and imprisoned for not less than one year. This would be a felony and subsequently preclude them from ever holding public office again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On 8/6/2022 at 8:46 PM, Lefty Yeti said:

I have noticed new splash pages on Midwayusa.com and Nra.com asking age of California residents.

I also saw an article that advertising events for under 18's may also be affected by this law.

Yes, it appears that organizations are not taking chances of getting caught by this bill. Do we have any California SASS clubs making changes like this?

https://thereload.com/the-california-gun-law-dashing-young-female-champions-olympic-dream/?fbclid=IwAR2WSWJ59QSOd8QgAhCaxx0QzGFjkmxl6QAhRXMuxNJqMzUJziJXmj5B3j4 

Archived