SASS Wire Forum

Looking load date .45 Colt using LIL GUN

I ran out of my favourite powder, Trail Boss and found I had a pound of Lil Gun.

Someone had told me, some time ago, that it might be good to try in my .45 Colt NMVs using the 250 grain lead bullets I have.

Looking, I can't find load data for .45 Colt.

Can anyone point me in the correct direction where I might find a recipe for .45 Colt or .45 ACP???

I use (and love) LilGun in my .45 Colt loads.........BUT, all my stuff for .45 Colt is HOT, real hot.   I call them, "Godzilla" loads.

I use it with jacketed HP bullets in the 250-300 grain weight range.   Its awesome.

In a 16.25" Marlin 1894,  a good hot loaded .45 Colt will generate ballistics similar to a .454 Casull in a 7" pistol barrel.

Proceed with caution because it will jar your shoulder.    And you friends will rarely ever want to shoot your guns again.

Its also devastating in the Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter with 7.5" barrel.   It sorta gives a new meaning to the word 'intimidating'.

SORRI, I don't have any mild load data for it.

EDIT:  for performance purposes,  you can rank it equal to H110 and AA9.

..........Widder

Lil Gun is not suitable for the .45 Colt.  That is why there is no load data.  Lil Gun was specifically designed for the .410.  There use to be some data from Hodgdon for extremely hot .45 Colt loads with Lil Gun.  There was also a warning that the loads were not safe in the New Vaquero.  Lighter loads give very poor performance, burn extremely dirty and can result in squibs. 

OK, thanks Pards.

I don't know what I'll do with it, as I don't have a .410 and now I only shoot CAS.

2 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Do you have any roses?  It makes great fertilizer.

Or trading material.

Works great in .30-M1 Carbine and .22 Hornet.  In T/C Contender the .30 M-1 with 110 Gr. Soft Point will print moa.  The Hornet round will do the same with the 10" T/C bbl. and 50 fmj boat tail.

DEADWOOD

3 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

OK, thanks Pards.

I don't know what I'll do with it, as I don't have a .410 and now I only shoot CAS.

Save it....... ya never know when Godzilla may rise again from the deep blue, OR... your home may get attacked by a

herd of rampaging, killer groundhogs.

..........Widder

Archived