SASS Wire Forum

Ford question 2013 f350 6.7

I already have an 01 gas burner f250 I will not sell. It gets 15 mpg and cheap and easy to work on and aside from a fuel pump failing last year, reliable . 245,000 miles. But I need a crew cab for the family and some of these trips we take. Not looking for anything new. Just a 1-2 day a week driver that serves well for camping/road trips. This f350 truck is especially nice. Leather. Loaded. Camper shell. roof rack. Ranch hand brush guard. Fifth wheel rails. BFG tires in good condition. It’s overkill for what I’ll use it for but an absolute bargain around these parts.

But as I said overkill for mostly just riding around in. I don’t have a camper. I don’t have horses. Just a jon boat. I can work on a gas engine to a point. This diesel, all I can do is change fluids since the cab has to come off and the complexity of it.  And the 1 ton is $15-20,000 more than a comparable used 1/2 ton, mpg is better on the diesel but $20,000 less can buy a lot of gas.  And the insurance cost difference  is substantial.  
My medium duty truck diesels (dt466, cat 3126) generally are cheaper to fix than what I hear these small truck diesels cost to fix. The old gm Detroit in my gmc 3500 is cheap and easy to work on. I’m buying a 2013 5500 dodge bucket truck with a 6.7 this week also for the company to replace that old GMC. It is slap worn out. Hopefully that works out good.

But good lord this Ford F-350 diesel truck is nice. Every sensible rational argument tells me not to buy it, but it does put a smile on my face. 

I see you said “no” to new but Rams can be found for over 10k off sticker right now with high gas prices if you don’t plan to tow heavy or need super high capacity.

you could get a loaded crew cab bighorn with full warranty for the same price, or spend a bit more and get all the upgrades.   

the 6.7 is great though.  That year should be DEF is only thing I can think of off hand.  

Well I bought a great 2013 Ram 5500 bucket truck for my business at a fair price. Vendor called selling it. Got it for $45,000 when they have been recently go for $75-85,000. (5-8 years old with 85-120,000 miles) Some are going for $120,000 range. These are used prices. 
Absolutely insane used market on equipment .

Just remember diesel breakdowns start at $2500 and go up from there, 6.7 has def pump issues,  been starting to see high pressure fuel pump failures as well, thats the real expensive one, puts metal all over the fuel system.

Otherwise they have been good engines

Hopefully its new enough to have the aluminum body, sixteen and older dont seem to be holding up well here in the rust belt.

I have a 2013 F350, Lariat , 6.7 diesel, 6 speed auto trans, 4x4, crew cab & short bed. I have 90,000 miles on it. This is the 3rd Ford diesel I have owned, bought the first one in 1984. Great truck, all I have ever done is service it on schedule and 1 set of new batteries and on my 2nd set of tires. Will be buying another set soon. The new diesels are really great, no diesel smell and quiet. You do have to add DEF. The only thing I don't like is the 25 gallon fuel tank, the only one you can get with the crew cab, short bed combination.

This truck outpulls my 1999 7.3 Powerstroke, BUT mileage is not as good. On the interstate driving 65, I get about 18, drops to 16.5 if I up the speed to 75 to 80. Get 15 to 16 around town. I tow a 28' travel trailer that weights around 8k loaded up. I get between 12 and 14 depending on how fast I drive and how hilly it is. My old Powerstroke got 2 to 3 mpg better. 

Great truck. Bought it used in 2015 with 19,000 miles on it and saved a ton of money. Leather interior and all the whistles and bells. 

2013 F350 Lariat 4x4 001.JPG

2013 F350 Lariat 4x4 002.JPG

8 minutes ago, JP McLintock said:

Just remember diesel breakdowns start at $2500 and go up from there, 6.7 has def pump issues,  been starting to see high pressure fuel pump failures as well, thats the real expensive one, puts metal all over the fuel system.

Otherwise they have been good engines

Hopefully its new enough to have the aluminum body, sixteen and older dont seem to be holding up well here in the rust belt.

Never had any mechanical issues with my 2013 with the 6.7. 

12 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Never had any mechanical issues with my 2013 with the 6.7. 

I've never had any problems with my 3.5 ecoboost either, but I have fixed alot of them, my point was everything has problems,  alot of the diesel owners buy these trucks because they want to be the coolest person at soccer practice,  but dont realize that the maintenance and repairs are triple compared to a gas engine, plus not every repair shop works on diesels., 

Just something to keep in mind.

Look at all of these almost new trucks. My 96 F250 7.3L now has 406,000 miles on her and still going strong. I bought her in 99 with 97000. We drive her up to our cabin in North Carolina every 4 months or so and she does great. The body is still solid, no rust, and the interior is near perfect, but she is getting new seat foam next week before out cabin trip in August. She's still all stock except for the air intake, exhaust, hydra tuner (solely for the fuel sipper mode), and I finally replaced the old tappet mechanical fuel pump with and electric this past February. I'm getting 23 mpg highway @ 68mph. I have a new Diesel Site transmission on order. It's still going. but it's finally getting tired and you can feel it in the mountains. The truck doesn't leak a drop of anything. I replaced the rims about 50k ago when I put new tires on it because two of the old Alcoas were cracking and buying good used ones were a fortune. The best part is I can pretty much do all of the work myself. 

JEL 

truck2.jpg

29 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

2013 F350 Lariat 4x4 002.JPG

Big Sage,

You work in a salt mine? What's that white stuff all around your truck??:P

JEL (In sunny Florida)

23 minutes ago, JP McLintock said:

I've never had any problems with my 3.5 ecoboost either, but I have fixed alot of them, my point was everything has problems,  alot of the diesel owners buy these trucks because they want to be the coolest person at soccer practice,  but dont realize that the maintenance and repairs are triple compared to a gas engine, plus not every repair shop works on diesels., 

Just something to keep in mind.

Like I said in my OP, this is my 3rd diesel starting in 1984. I went to diesel when I started towing a 28' 15,000 pound boat to Mexico. Diesel was .25 cents a gallon and their gas was junk. Once I found out how the diesel outperformed the gas engines, I said I will never buy another gas truck. I am 80 years old now and this 2013 will probably last me until I get too damn old to drive! My 1999 had over 300,000 miles on it when I sold it. The engine and tranny had never been apart, just normal servicing. We were making a 3 month trip to Alaska and I just didn't want to drive my old truck on a trip that long. 

Archived