SASS Wire Forum

Bear Creek Bullets

Anyone have experience using Bear Creek Bullets?

I shoot in a Bulls Eye Pistol league and use Speer 148 gr HBWC bullets in my .38. Havn't been able to find any Speers, but Berry & Bear Creek are available. I have used Berry bullets before and had trouble with their copper coating coming off. I just ordered some Bear Creek bullets, they have a good inventory. Anybody use them?

I understand Bear Creek bullets are BHN=13 or 16,637 PSI for optimal obturation of leaded, non-gas check bullets.
This puts the PSI in the 97% range of SAAMI maximum for 38SP.

Just guessing, but I ask if the Berrys plating is coming off as a result of you running Max loads.
There are published Max loads at this PSI for IMR Red, No. 2, SR 7625, 244 and ZIP.

If you are willing to accept a bit lower pressure (BHN=12) more powders fit the bill.
Trail Boss, No. 2, WST, Bullseye, 700-X, No. 5, IMR Red and ZIP for BHN=12 to BHN=13 with a 148 grain bullet.

I have used Bear Creek in the past in both my 38-55 and a 45-70. (Don't shoot the 38-55 much anymore)

Good bullets, reasonable prices.

My buddy on the front range used quite a few in both BPCR and smokeless long range, 600 yards plus.

I think I still have some of the various sizings that they offered to match up with the 38-55

While he now pretty much casts all his own, the Bear Creek are his preferred backup.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Yes, I have used BCS 147 grain HBWC bullets and I like them over Hornady’s. 
I load them with 2.8 grains of Bullseye and 2.6 grains of W244. 
I also use Bear Creek Supply bullets for .38 and .357 loads with 158 RNFP, 205 and 255 grain .45 Colt. I also use the 205 grain RNFP in .45 ACP. I have also used their 30-30 and 38-55 bullets. Out of the thousands I have bought from them I have had exactly 2 blemished bullets. Excellent company with great customer service. 

Archived