SASS Wire Forum

Been lookin' for a new car

Buckshot Bear

Been lookin' for a new car, all the models we like have 18 month to 24 month waits and  "put your name down and pay a deposit but that price won't be this price it will be higher".

Just as bad as trying to get primers and powder!

You almost just have to buy whatever they have on the lot if you really need one!

My grandson is trying to find a car to replace his wrecked one and not having much luck. He thought he’d found one but he took it in to be inspected prior to buying it and the mechanic said that it looked like it had spent some time underwater or in a flood so he didn’t buy it. The cheapest rental car that he can find is $400.00 per day and his insurance will only cover $30.00 a day. My wife took her car up for him to use while he’s looking. Don’t you love “the new normal”?

Just now, Yul Lose said:

My grandson is trying to find a car to replace his wrecked one and not having much luck. He thought he’d found one but he took it in to be inspected prior to buying it and the mechanic said that it looked like it had spent some time underwater or in a flood so he didn’t buy it. The cheapest rental car that he can find is $400.00 per day and his insurance will only cover $30.00 a day. My wife took her car up for him to use while he’s looking. Don’t you love “the new normal”?

$400.00 a day for a rental?? My son has a problem with his new car and Jeep is paying for his rental $80.00 a day. He pays it with his CC and Jeep reimburses him. This has been going on for 3 weeks since the part was back ordered. Now the part is on and he should get his car back today or tomorrow.  $400.00 a day is unbelievable!!!!

I put down $500.00 and waited five months for a Subaru Forester.  It came in (at almost $12,000 more than they told me it would be.) and I decided I'd keep my four year old Impala.  

I paid cash for it, it has a hair over 24,000 miles on it and is in great shape.  They wouldn't give me anywhere what it's worth and I'd have to either finance the difference or tap into my retirement money, in both cases I'd be losing money in the long run.

I took my $500.00 and bought two new tires and had a new "gasket"put around the driver's side front door ( my fault) and had enough left for a tank of gas and lunch at Sally D's.

BTW, they sold the Subaru sight unseen to someone on their waiting list before I left the dealership.

At my age and the amount of driving I do the Impala will still be in good shape when I die.

I just had my 2005 completely refurbished. Took it in to a good local shop and told them to fix everything they found wrong and put on 4 new performance tires.  Drives and handles perfectly for right around $3 thousand.  It will likely last as long as I do.  Still a nice looking car since I bought it new and took care of it.

We trained our 8yo F150 with 190,000 miles for a Ford Edge this spring.  Looked at cars on 3 Ford lots.  Had made up our minds and went back to first dealership to talk trade. We pulled into lot and looking at the couple they had. They had marked up $3,000 price adjustment.   We got back in our F150 and left. We went to second dealership and made a deal. 

Old Kawasaki Mule is 24 years old.  Starting to smoke and other suspicious engine problems.   Decided maybe it was time to trade or buy a new one. Shopping around this week at two local Kawasaki dealers.  Same results. Their website says they have in inventory but .... well, they are not always up to date. Showed what they have in stock. Top end models with lots of junk we don't need or want for $23,000.  That's with $3,000 price adjustment.  We are having our old Mule looked and and repaired at garage we've done business with for 20 or more years.

I'm not driving as much as I did even a few years ago so instead of trading in my 2017 Buick Encore with 74 K on it, I'll just keep it! It gets 32 mpg, rides great and there's nothing to trade it in on anyway! Everything they have is way too much money!!:angry:

Here in the US, a new full size pickup is north of $70,000 USD.
If you can find one.

There is an alternative to paying that kind of money.
Here in CA, find a 1976 or older pickup, and invest less than $70k into a full restoration.
Drop in a big block V8 suitably cammed, manifolded and headered as a tow vehicle.
Install disc front brakes, etc.

You will then have a muscle truck that will pull anything, is fully restored, and completely exempt from CA smog requirements.

2 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Here in the US, a new full size pickup is north of $70,000 USD.
If you can find one.

There is an alternative to paying that kind of money.
Here in CA, find a 1976 or older pickup, and invest less than $70k into a full restoration.
Drop in a big block V8 suitably cammed, manifolded and headered as a tow vehicle.
Install disc front brakes, etc.

You will then have a muscle truck that will pull anything, is fully restored, and completely exempt from CA smog requirements.

One little problem! I have a hale and hearty old 3/4 ton pickup, stronger than dirt.  As far as I can determine, it gets between 8 and 10 mpg.  One tank near empty, the other at half, $150 at the pump.  I still drive it, but my car gets 22-24 highway so does most of the travel.

My last hotrod truck was a big Dodge, built out as described above, and it got similar awful mileage.
Our passenger car is a RAV4 and gets about 32~37 mpg on road trips.
But it won't haul a trailer.

They are desperate for me to trade my 2018 Subaru in for a crazy high price. I said, “Trade it in on what? You have virtually no inventory”. 

The Ford dealer I bought my F350 truck from sent me a letter. Offering $50K for my 5 year old truck that I paid $62 for. But, there's always a but. the same truck new is $75K.

The other side of this 5th wheel RV's are crazy also. We paid $66K 3 years ago for ours. Same one 2022 is now $106K?????

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

They are desperate for me to trade my 2018 Subaru in for a crazy high price. I said, “Trade it in on what? You have virtually no inventory”. 

And what they do have would not be cheap . The only way your making out now is if your one of those people who always has had a couple of extra cars and your willing to part with them.

Were trending too much the way of Cuba , everyone is going to be driving a 60’s Chevy 

To get a Tacoma here, ..... one would have to import it from the USA ........... (I have seen only ONE)

Land Cruisers tend to be the more popular Toyota here ........ in all configurations .........   

I’d change what you like… :)

Some incentives and inventory are out there, maybe broaden the search.   I have bought 3 new vehicles in the last year…two at MSRP minus military rebates and one at 2k under.  All vehicles I wanted….just have to call multiple dealers.

I like using Cargurus for a search, can set radius and sort. 

3 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

To get a Tacoma here, ..... one would have to import it from the USA ........... (I have seen only ONE)

Land Cruisers tend to be the more popular Toyota here ........ in all configurations .........   

what about the Subaru Outback? It should be popular there just because of the name . I remember when I was a kid seeing some footage from Oz and allot of people were driving Subaru brats . Those little trucks with a couple rear facing seats in the back . 

6 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Friend of mine has this nice US Toyota, only one I've ever seen inside its got a 1794 badge which makes it a nicer car I think....bloody nice!

20220706_141157.thumb.jpg.48c458f8a8e51ec95a08f0b229113cf9.jpg

20220706_145340.thumb.jpg.d271eab58c29c74d275c74f80b968523.jpg

20220706_145344.thumb.jpg.3fdbf36e32dbd0354fede4a79e449631.jpg

I bought a new Honda Fit in 2018, with the mileage rating being my #1 priority. No regrets - quite an upgrade from my '82 Civic. :lol:

Used cars are so ridiculous right now, I've twice received a form letter from the dealer offering to buy it back. 

Fit_mileage.jpg

PrestoChango.jpg

I have two cars, a truck, a 4 wheeler and a Harley that are all paid for.  I don't intend to change that any time soon.  While I would love to have a new 3/4 ton truck (read that as 2017 or newer) with a diesel engine, it ain't going to happen.  The new ones are few and far between, and over 75,000.  One comparable to my 2002 1 ton Dually is over 100,000.  And in this area, virtually all the used trucks have well over 200,000 miles on them.  Adds regularly show trucks with 225,000 to 300,000 miles on trucks less than 10 years old, with asking prices of 30,000 to 45,000.  What, they live in those things?  My '02 has 75,000 on the odometer.  

My niece bought a new Cadillac. 3 of the items are missing due to shortages on parts, one being the backup camera which she finally received. 2 others sideview and front end collision parts she's still waiting on after 7 months.

We looked at new pickups, none have what we're looking for. They all want a deposit to hold so when one comes we will be on the list. 2 of them quoted prices higher then manufacturers suggested price.

I noticed the new car dealers lots are almost empty and hardly a handful of new vehicles, but the independent used car dealers have many with lots full of vehicles.

Up here, with winter salt and calcium spread on the icy roads for safety, we have vehicles rust out, long before they get a chance to wear out!

I found the way to slow that down was an annual, fall trip to my neighbourhood "Car Shield" shop where every nook and cranny is sprayed with an oil solution for a hundred bucks.

Fellow my son sold his 2009 Caravan to has followed the same routine and the van still has no rat holes in it.

2 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Up here, with winter salt and calcium spread on the icy roads for safety, we have vehicles rust out, long before they get a chance to wear out!

I found the way to slow that down was an annual, fall trip to my neighbourhood "Car Shield" shop where every nook and cranny is sprayed with an oil solution for a hundred bucks.

Fellow my son sold his 2009 Caravan to has followed the same routine and the van still has no rat holes in it.

We have a local place that does a excellent undercoating job . Hardly ever see anyone having a problem as long as they don’t start rusting from the outside from paint chips . My last 2 trucks I had the rocker panels linexed when they did the truck bed it’s helped immensely . No more rotted out cab corners 

23 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

We have a local place that does a excellent undercoating job . Hardly ever see anyone having a problem as long as they don’t start rusting from the outside from paint chips . My last 2 trucks I had the rocker panels linexed when they did the truck bed it’s helped immensely . No more rotted out cab corners 

Not sure if your guys do this, but mine drill holes inside the doors, the frame etc then spray inside and plug the holes with removeable plastic plugs for easy access next time. 

Result: Doors and frame with no rust out at the bottom where moisture/water may collect. 

Here its legal to use my 2017 Mule on the street so thats what I use in town.

I have my 71 ford F250 which I need to rebuild the engine.Wrist pin came out & scored the cylinder.It is a 428.I'm debating on whether to build it back 428 or build it into a 410.

Largo

15 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Friend of mine has this nice US Toyota, only one I've ever seen inside its got a 1794 badge which makes it a nicer car I think....bloody nice!

20220706_141157.thumb.jpg.48c458f8a8e51ec95a08f0b229113cf9.jpg

20220706_145340.thumb.jpg.d271eab58c29c74d275c74f80b968523.jpg

20220706_145344.thumb.jpg.3fdbf36e32dbd0354fede4a79e449631.jpg

It's defective. Steering wheel is on the wrong side! :P
JHC

5 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

When working I rode a commuter van.  When the last one wore out we sold it to a fellow who gave it to his son in Ontario.   His son put a new engine and transmission in it and put it on the road.  In the Desert SW vehicles get little rust though the sun is brutal on paint, plastic and rubber parts.

58 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

When working I rode a commuter van.  When the last one wore out we sold it to a fellow who gave it to his son in Ontario.   His son put a new engine and transmission in it and put it on the road.  In the Desert SW vehicles get little rust though the sun is brutal on paint, plastic and rubber parts.

He saved himself a few thousand dollars doing that!

Archived