SASS Wire Forum

How much work is needed on a Pietta GW II Californian to make it CAS ready?

JOHNNY GAMBIT

I found a dealer selling one who claims in his description "We purchased this revolver and others like it straight from the imported, EMF (Early & Modern Firearms).  Their resident gunsmith personally did action and trigger jobs on these revolvers, as a favor, before delivery was taken. There is no extra charge to you, but the value is around $100 per revolver if you sought out an expert to do the same gun smithing." and I'm not sure if I believe them. Would be pretty cool if that was the honest truth and it was ready right out of the box.  

Another question I have - looking on this forum everyone has mentioned in regards to Pietta/EMF GW II line to get the Californian (& DLX/Grande versions of it) or Alchemista models as they have the floating firing pin and navy grip frame. I was under the impression that every Pietta under the GW2 line had the floating firing pin? Is there any reason specifically to get the Californian or Alchemista models over any of the other GW2 models like the Gunfighter or any of their fancy engraved models etc? 

Thank you all!! 

I have a basic EMF (Pietta) GWII Sheriff’s model. The fit and finish are superior to similar vintage Ubertis that I’ve owned (ymmv). The hammer is the 4 click variety with a floating firing pin. The action is smooth and I didn’t feel the need to put in a lighter mainspring which is usually an automatic upgrade on any single action I want to shoot in CAS.

I may have just gotten lucky, but I wouldn’t hesitate to pick up another EMF GWII revolver.

B629A1F0-59E3-40B3-8458-20BCA81AD55C.jpeg

Pioneer Gun Works charges $130 for an action job, per their website. Long Hunter is $210. Long Hunter's is a more in depth action job.

From EMF's website, the Alchemista's have 1860 grips. 

I personally don't own current EMF pistols. I do have EMF/ASM Great Western's 44-40's which I love. 

Check out EMF's website more more information. 

The Great Western II line of revolvers are ready to go, right out of the box.   I would save my money and get my shotgun worked up for our game!

If you want to get your times down, work on shotgun/shotshell manipulation, and transitions, the non-shooting time between guns and positions. 

I have a pair of Deluxe Californians that came in “stock” configuration.  They are pretty slick with a light hammer spring.  The trigger pull was a little heavier than I wanted so I had Wolff wire type trigger/bolt springs installed.  That was my preference but not a necessity.

As Tully said, the Alchimista line features a longer 1860 Army grip frame.  Alessandro Pietta (alias Alchimista) has big hands, it is said.

Pietta makes a couple of models with transfer bar ignition but they are not GW2 series according to the print catalog I got some time back.

The GW2 series have a Colt type lockwork with a hammer mounted firing pin.  Load with five.  I avoid the term “floating firing pin” since it confuses people.  It is a “four click” system.

The Californian series have a steel grip frame/trigger guard.  Some of the less expensive Pietta revolvers have brass grip frames.  They seem to be a little easier to find as well as having a lower price point.

We have two pairs of Great Western II Californians that my 3 boys and I have shot for most of our time shooting CAS. The only action work we ever did was loosen up the triggers by cocking the hammers back and then pushing the hammers forward as we pulled the the triggers several times (dry fired) when we first got them. Then the triggers and everything else felt great. We never felt like the guns needed anything more or kept my boys from keeping up with the very fastest shooters. 

Archived