SASS Wire Forum

Another reason to hate my home state.

I am in need of some fiber wads, nitro cards and overshot cards to reload some all brass shotshells.   Went to Buffalo Arms, where I usually get them to find them out of stock.   No problem, I figured.  I went to Ballistic Products and found them in stock.   They are 1 dollar more, but I figured that was no big deal.

But Ballistic won't ship them to Massachusetts anymore.  

I assume it's because they think they can't send reloading components here.   To be honest, I don't know for sure.  The laws here in the People's Republic of Taxachusetts are so damn confusing that it's impossible to keep track of them, especially when the Attorney General decides, after 10 years, to suddenly reinterpret one of them to outlaw things that were deemed compliant with the law for all that time.

What an annoyance.

I'm in pretty bad shape too, I live in the People's Republik of Kalifornia. Can't wait to turn in my gun and badge to retire this year, so I can take my pension and start looking at "free" states like TX or NM. 

Do you have a friend in another state that can get them and ship them to you?

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Do you have a friend in another state that can get them and ship them to you?

Being Military Overseas we went through  place that would reship things to APO's  from places that wouldnt ship to us. Funny how many places support Military right up until you say APO , which requires a single form .

1 hour ago, John Ray Davis said:

I live in Maryland. I feel for ya.

I saw Maryland plates on a car yesterday at 99c Store in San Antone.  Was that you?

:)

2 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I saw Maryland plates on a car yesterday at 99c Store in San Antone.  Was that you?

:)

Probably stolen from a car in Baltimore, heck, they probably stole the whole car. :rolleyes:

Baltimore, come and visit, for the rest of your (soon to be very short) life....:wacko:

HK  I tried to get you out of Mass years ago. Said you should move to NH or Maine. Since then I moved to Wyoming. 

But like Matchlock said getting a PO box in NH would work and probably affordable.

It is kinda odd that so many of the original 13 states have turned from God and freedom and returned to a form of their colony/serfdom.

Pray for your leaders.

Watch the local party and local elections including "non-partisan" like school boards.

1 hour ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

It is kinda odd that so many of the original 13 states have turned from God and freedom and returned to a form of their colony/serfdom.

Pray for your leaders.

Watch the local party and local elections including "non-partisan" like school boards.

Pray for new leaders. Real leaders.

15 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Pray for a couple or three well aimed lightning strikes. 

That's a very Christian attitude.

My apologies.  I did not know that agnostics had anything to do with prayer nor to what deity their prayers might be directed.

1 minute ago, Jackalope said:

My apologies.  I did not know that agnostics had anything to do with prayer nor to what deity their prayers might be directed.

Come on Jackalope, I'm just making a joke.  Definitely no offense intended to anyone other than the potential recipients of the lightning strikes.

You're correct though, agnostics aren't sure there is a deity out there to pray to, so at least in my case, we don't pray. 

I can sincerely 'hope' for a couple or three well aimed lightning strikes, and I do.

If I'm not mistaken there's quite a few guns that are marked on the box...... Do Not Ship To MA, Mass, Ca, NJ

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

If I'm not mistaken there's quite a few guns that are marked on the box...... Do Not Ship To MA, Mass, Ca, NJ

Massachusetts has more restrictive laws about what is an "acceptable" handgun than California.   Many guns that you see listed as "California OK," are NOT "Mass Compliant."

For example, you can't buy a 1911, Single Action Army, or a Glock in this state, as they are deemed to be "unsafe designs" by the state.  On the one hand, part of the reason why many guns are not Mass Compliant is because the manufacturers won't turn over, I think it's 5, guns to the state for "destructive testing."  But on the other hand, guns MUST have certain features and or be able to pass certain tests.   The three guns I mentioned won't pass some of the tests.  Springfield did come up with a Mass Compliant 1911 a couple of years ago, but they had to tweak the design to get it to pass, if I recall correctly.

I find the prohibition against the Glock, even through I have no use for them personally, to be especially irksome.  If it's so "dangerous" that it can't be sold here, why does practically every local police force, and the State Police, use it as their standard issue sidearm?

2 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Massachusetts has more restrictive laws about what is an "acceptable" handgun than California.   Many guns that you see listed as "California OK," are NOT "Mass Compliant."

For example, you can't buy a 1911, Single Action Army, or a Glock in this state, as they are deemed to be "unsafe designs" by the state.  On the one hand, part of the reason why many guns are not Mass Compliant is because the manufacturers won't turn over, I think it's 5, guns to the state for "destructive testing."  But on the other hand, guns MUST have certain features and or be able to pass certain tests.   The three guns I mentioned won't pass some of the tests.  Springfield did come up with a Mass Compliant 1911 a couple of years ago, but they had to tweak the design to get it to pass, if I recall correctly.

I find the prohibition against the Glock, even through I have no use for them personally, to be especially irksome.  If it's so "dangerous" that it can't be sold here, why does practically every local police force, and the State Police, use it as their standard issue sidearm?

Can you get Ruger single actions?? Uberti?? Pietta ?

31 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Can you get Ruger single actions?? Uberti?? Pietta ?

Most Rugers but none of the limited production models (even if they are visually similar, if the model number is different from those tested.  So no Davidsons, Talo, or the like).  No Pietta or Uberti cartridge revolvers.  No Colt SAA (unless you can find one that was owned in MA before the imposition of the restrictions in 1993 - grandfathered).  You can buy a limited number of Colt 1911s, if they are among those which have been designated as "target" models.  You can also get various 1911 clones, including some Springfield, Para, Ruger, Remington and Sig models.  .

Basically, you need to do your homework before you shop.  The State makes it as difficult as they can.

LL

Several years back I was working at a Distributor show in Rhode Island (I think?) for Cimarron, and dealer after dealer would come by and ask "are any of these Mass. compliant?"  Sorry, no.  One guy, from MA, had on robes with a cross around his neck, some sort of pastor, and he ordered a "Hand of God" (the 3:10 to Yuma Model P) for himself.  He said since he was an FFL that he could own it, just couldn't sell it in MA.  Said he was going to wear it under his robes on the pulpit. :)

Try https://www.logcabinshop.com in Lodi, Ohio.  This is where I get all my overshot wads.  They do have fiber wads and nitro wads as well.  They do ship.  But better to call if they ship in MA.

The only other way "around" some of the Mass restrictions is to go the C&R route.  Those guns are exempt from the rules, if you have the C&R license.  There was some confusion/ambiguity about that, and a couple of years ago, the Legislature actually clarified things and said, yes, C&R guns are okay, but only for C&R holders.   It's not uncommon to see guns at gun shows or in stores with a note on tag that said, "C&R Only."

If I didn't already have one, I'd be in the market for a Colt SP1.  You know "original" AR-15 that Colt sold in the mid 60's.  The earliest ones are now over 50 years old, and thus C&R eligible.   I may still get another one just to thumb my nose at Maura Healy.

Make them or take a nice easy ride and pick them up a few miles north of you and also stop for a Lobster Roll just bring plenty of cash .Lobster Rolls are now 35.00

i dont get the states that prohibit , in my mind you should be able to buy as free trade/interstate is something i thought the constitution covered yet more and more businesses are in this situation , i am no lawyer and i guess none want to fight this through the courts , 

4 hours ago, watab kid said:

i dont get the states that prohibit , in my mind you should be able to buy as free trade/interstate is something i thought the constitution covered yet more and more businesses are in this situation , i am no lawyer and i guess none want to fight this through the courts , 

IT  Is a states rights issue.  and is covered in the Constitution.

Given Massachusetts bans Glocks and the recent USSC ruling stated (not verbatim) that the government can’t ban guns in common use, there definitely seems to be a conflict. I suspect Massachusetts politicians know this, but are happy to stand pat and continue to infringe the civil rights of their citizens until they’re forced to stop.

10 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Given Massachusetts bans Glocks and the recent USSC ruling stated (not verbatim) that the government can’t ban guns in common use, there definitely seems to be a conflict. I suspect Massachusetts politicians know this, but are happy to stand pat and continue to infringe the civil rights of their citizens until they’re forced to stop.

Not that simple.  MA does not ban all Glocks, only those that do not meet the state's safety standards.  Here's a link (https://www.mass.gov/doc/approved-firearms-roster-9/download) to State's Approved Firearms Roster; lots of models of Glocks here (but none with mag capacities above 10).  

LL

I'm sure you're right. We live in a system in which the laws are to byzantine for a lay person to understand readily, by design.  Looking at the text of the Constitution and some of the statements made here about what MA laws say, a lay person could easily conclude that MA residents' 2nd amendment rights are being seriously infringed upon.

But no, once the lawyers and politicians get involved up becomes down, black becomes white and presto, it's perfectly OK for the state to do these things.   Us poor laymen need to shut up, set aside common sense and accept 'received wisdom' from the 'elite.'

As an economist I really hate it when other economists start throwing around jargon that confuses non-economists and does nothing but muddy perceptions for no good reason. I've attributed that tendency to a desire to appear 'really smart.' 

I think the legal profession is often guilty of taking something that's pretty straightforward and twisting it into a logical pretzel that only a lawyer can untwist.  Then the legal community shakes it head and wonders why as a group lawyers are among the most detested professions there are, potentially second only to politicians. 

I know you're an attorney and I'm not in any way saying anything bad about you personally. There are plenty of good attorneys out there, but they don't get a lot of press.  Instead we hear about the Crumps and their ilk.

Archived