SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy 45 Special with Clean Shot smokeless powder

Cibola Al

I’ve been using Trail Boss in my C45S loads, but I haven’t seen it for sale for quite some time. I would like to try Clean Shot. 

I seem to remember a thread where someone posted his Clean Shot data for C45S but I’ll be darned if I can find it. 

I did see the links on Scarlet Darlin’s website, and I can work my own load up from there if need be, but if anyone already has a pet load I’d like to hear about it. The bullets I’m using while listed as 165 gr, actually weigh closer to 170 gr.

49 minutes ago, Cibola Al said:

I’ve been using Trail Boss in my C45S loads, but I haven’t seen it for sale for quite some time. I would like to try Clean Shot. 

I seem to remember a thread where someone posted his Clean Shot data for C45S but I’ll be darned if I can find it. 

I did see the links on Scarlet Darlin’s website, and I can work my own load up from there if need be, but if anyone already has a pet load I’d like to hear about it. The bullets I’m using while listed as 165 gr, actually weigh closer to 170 gr.

this might be what you’re looking for. I’m about out of Clays by Hodgdon so I’m getting ready to start working up (more like working down)  a load using clean shot for .38.  

Clean Shot Cowboy Shared Data.pdf

42 minutes ago, Hooligan Howes said:

Out of my 4 5/8 NMV. With a 200 grain bullet. 3.5 grains gave me an average of 550 fps. 3 grains was right around 500 fps . 

Excellent, thank you 

sounds about right for what we do - you may want to bump it a tad if you experience primer issues tho , sometimes they wont reseat at that load level , but i like shooting in that vicinity myself , its quite comfortable , 

Yes, I seem to remember the other guy saying he was using 4.0 gr under a 160 gr bullet, but my memory is so bad I wouldn’t swear to it. I think I’ll start at 3.8 gr under my 170 gr bullet and adjust as needed. I shoot large frame Bisley Vaqueros which are pretty heavy, so I don’t usually try and get down to the very lightest load anyway.

Glad you got some answers! Thanks @Hooligan Howes for your input. I was going to suggest that you start with 4gr.  Let us know how it performs.  Think you’re gonna be pleased with it. You may find some powder residue with lower end load… but it’s not anything but cosmetic. :blush:

Hugs!

Scarlett

I so wanted to love Shooters World Clean Shot, but my results were somewhat less than awesome.

I worked up a load in 45 colt with a 200gr rf bullet to my target vel of 700ish fps. My tests left a fair amount of powder residue in the barrel. Way more than my Clays load. Anyone else have this same experience?

18 hours ago, Montana Mike said:

I so wanted to love Shooters World Clean Shot, but my results were somewhat less than awesome.

I worked up a load in 45 colt with a 200gr rf bullet to my target vel of 700ish fps. My tests left a fair amount of powder residue in the barrel. Way more than my Clays load. Anyone else have this same experience?

Some powders found to leave unburned granules clean up some using magnum primers.

On 7/23/2022 at 2:52 PM, Montana Mike said:

if you bump your load up just a bit the improvement can be significant…even with just 1/10s of grain. I load 4.5 - 4.7gr of Clean Shot with a 200gr RNFP 45 Colt. 

If you’re still unhappy with it, load it in your shotshells or I’m sure there could be more than a handful of cowboys who would take it off your hands. :P  If I can be of help

to you with the Clean Shot etc. please let me know. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

• 2 months later...

My shared data file doesn't have the C45S data.  @Sixgun Seamus don't you use Clean Shot in the Cowboy Special?

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

My shared data file doesn't have the C45S data.  @Sixgun Seamus don't you use Clean Shot in the Cowboy Special?

Scarlett,

What sort of issue did you have in the C45S? 

Ooops, read it wrong, never mind!:wub:

When I wanted to develop a load my C45S I used 45ACP data and a reduced load calculator.  I found that although I had consistent ignition at my target velocity, it was a little too soft recoiling, so I upped my charge by .2s a grain.  

I always started with .45 Auto-rim data.  The AR case has slightly more volume, and the AR loads do not worry about cycling a slide like the ACP loads.  Both factors made me feel safe about using that data.

19 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Sorry, I only used it in 45 Colt not the C45S. 

I did some testing with Clean shot in my 38 specials actually shot a few matches to make sure my test were proven true. I normally use 3.2 grains of Red Dot in my pistol and rifle 38 specials pushing either a 105 or 125 grain projectile. From seat of the pants testing  that I did I found that I loaded 3.2 grains of clean shot the same grain weight I use for Red Dot. With that said clean shot is a much finer powder that the big flakes of Red Dot and when you look in the case you think holy cow is there even any powder in there. It performs virtually Identical with that said that small amount of powder does not burn as cleanly as expected. my assumption is the more space in the case does not allow for a clean burn and and should in fact require more powder say 3.6-4.0 grains instead of the 3.2 I use. I have this powder as a backup powder for both my Red Dot and Tite group I use in my shotgun. I also tested the shotgun as well and used 13 grains of tight group and also used 13 grains of Clean shot. In summation doing all the math and testing I have done I can say that Clean shot is a grain per grain match to both Red Dot and Tite group. The only caveat I can see is it fills less space at the same grain weight. I hope this lengthy diatribe  was helpful. 

In an effort to keep just one thread running, I am copying and pasting the @Bingo Montana post regarding his experience with Clean Shot in C45S:

I did some testing back in February with 45CS, Clean Shot, and 160 gr RNFP bullets from Scarlet, Fed LPP.  Here are my results out of 4.62" Ruger New Model Vaqueros. 

4.0 grains : Avg Vel: 606, SD 17.7

3.8 grains : Avg Vel: 568, SD 21.5

3.6 grains : Avg Vel: 446, SD 18.9

When I use my smokeless in my 45's with 45CS, I will go with 4.0 grains, smallest group out of the three tested, and not that much more felt recoil from my 38's with 140 gr's.  

I also used Clean Shot for my 12 Gauge loads.  Win AA HS hulls, 7/8 oz #8 shot, #19 MEC bushing (MEC Sizemaster), Claybuster CB0178-12 Wad, any primer.  Nice low recoil load, I can't tell them apart from the Winchester LRLN factory load.

If I ever go back to shooting smokeless, I will use Clean Shot for sure.  Only negative is that the powder appears to have a flash retardant added, so you get a bit of residue from that, looks like very small yellow kernels. 

While researching Clean Shot I found it interesting that some folks claim it is very similar (or even identical) to AA #2:

https://www.thegunrack.org/index.php?threads/accurate-no-2-is-the-same-as-sw-clean-shot.11662/

https://handloadermagazine.halflyte.com/2021/11/21/shooters-world-clean-shot/

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/285341-shooters-world-clean-shot-case-fill-question/

As with any internet wisdom, I would be hesitant to treat this as gospel. However, if it proves to be the case, the information could be useful since my Lyman manual has a nice low pressure load for 38-40 using AA #2.

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to testing some loads.

Ruger large frame Bisley Vaquero, 5.5” barrel. Temps in the mid 40’s. Bang and Clang 165gr bullets (which weigh around 171gr), Federal LPP.

3.8gr, average 382.5 fps for 5 shots

4.0gr, average 429.7 fps

4.2gr, average 522.6 fps

4.4gr average 618.9 fps

For comparison, 3.8gr of Trail Boss under Scarlett’s 160gr bullets averaged 652.6 fps and 3.4gr of Trail Boss under the B&C 165gr bullets averaged 598.3 fps.

All of the Clean Shot loads were about 3 to 4 inches low at 15 yards. As noted by others there was fair amount of unburnt powder or flash retardant left in the chambers and barrel until I reached the 4.4gr load, then there was quite a bit less. The 4.0gr load was the most accurate with a 5 shot group just over 2” off hand at 15 yards. It is possible I just held better for those 5 rounds.

Archived