SASS Wire Forum

Tail Waging Day

Just saw that line for the first time ever today and it got me thinking how many sayings like that are out there across the cowboy world that I have never heard and what the H*ll to they all mean, post your favorites and throw in a brief description for those of us without a clue, really like the whole tail waging day think im gonna start using that one

ORR

I was doing a phone install once in an old farm house. Took a couple trips to the attic and basement with tape measure in hand. The customer asked what was up as he thought I'd just run the wire along the baseboard from the living room. I explained I was looking for the best place to fish the wire in the wall for a kitchen wall mount phone. He said to just staple along the floor, "The place will be a whore house before it's a church". Sure tickled me at the time.

This best saying that I ever heard was from an old guy that lived in Palm Harbor, Fl. He lived in a small, bungalow the house that was on a spoil island spur right on a canal that led directly into the Gulf. In 1986 or '86, a large storm formed in the Gulf that was a sub-tropical storm, like a hurricane but without the name, hence we called it "The No Name Storm". Anyway, the storm grew pretty intense, moved East across Florida a little south of Cedar Key, headed up the east coast of the US turning into a nasty nor'easter for the Northern Atlantic seaboard states.

South of the storm, the winds along with high tide pushed the water to unexpected hurricane type heights. This man had about 18" of salt water throughout his entire house. He called the electrical company that I worked for to replace the lower electrical devices (receptacles/etc) that had been damaged by the salt water. I had already been to several calls in that area for the exact same thing. All of the other homeowners were, in a sense, freaking out over the unexpected storm damage and expense of repairs...all except this guy.

When I got there, he was sitting in a rocker on his small porch and said "Door's open, replace 'em as ya need to." I went to work replacing the receptacles/etc and he just sat there on the porch drinking iced tea. When I was finished, I added up the bill and gave it to him. He calmly paid and gave me a $20 tip. I told him, "I've been to two other places today for the same thing, they were all freaked out,..you're the only one that has been calm".

This is what he said "My dad told me this a long time ago, he said Sonny, when you live on the water, sooner or later...you live in the water".

Best saying I ever heard.

Archived