SASS Wire Forum

Unpatriotic Thievery I calls it!

Utah Bob #35998

As I’ve mentioned, I usually wear this for our Independence Day parade. After the parade I change over to my VFW uniform  and man our booth at the town festival. We parked the jeep right behind the booth and my uniform and field gear was in it. Apparently some scurvy Communist lifted my 50 year old jungle fatigue shirt. Searched every nook and cranny in vehicles and the post but it’s nowhere to be found. Theft in this town is rare, everybody knows everybody. But there were a lot of out of town visitors at the festival as usual. The shirt itself is replaceable but the patches and insignia not so much. I’ve asked the sheriff to have his guys be on the lookout for some youngster wandering around who doesn’t look to be in his 70’s. 

I’d put a note in the local paper if it was still in business. But Covid killed it. I’ll post pics in the local store and post offices.
Oh well. :(

5563D359-38B1-4FFF-BBA1-1D47EED0CE4A.jpeg

B7A1A8DF-69F3-4062-A821-4985F718BB13.jpeg

That is so disheartening.  UB, I can only guess at your disappointment.

So often, it is hard to understand why people will do what they do.  Why would anybody steal a old military garment from someone who clearly valued it?   I don't understand.  It is beyond me as I'm sure it's beyond you, Bob.

Real sorry and irritated to hear this. I hope you catch the POS scum and maybe get your shirt back. No respect for anyone or anything anymore. Just sad. :huh:

Very sorry to hear this.  Hope you get it back.

On a similar note, I heard an announcement in a meeting today about thieves in my building at work.  Now you have to have badges and IDs 10 ways from Sunday to get into the building and be in most of the areas.  Why someone would think it was OK to remove mementos and personal items from co-workers and managers office spaces is beyond me.  The director that made the announcement stated he would personally walk the thief out of the building and make sure they never get a DoD clearance again.

Unfortunately, it's everywhere, UB.

Thieves.

A curse on them.

I stopped at the cemetery where my wife is buried and found the granite vase that was cemented between my parents headstone and Sherron's and mine had been stolen.

Now I'm concerned the %$^#^&* may come back and dis-inter her ashes for the urn.

Maybe next year I’ll go topless! :lol:

35F93665-B9B1-49C5-B946-89FAA0D9B2E0.jpeg

On second though……maybe not. There are children at the parade.  

1 hour ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

What patches do you need?

Thanks, Cyrus. I can easily get another shirt. And patches, I have a pretty large collection. But these were issued to me. And the modern patches are made a bit differently and different material. A lot of water under the bridge. You understand, I’m sure. 

9 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Thieves.

A curse on them.

I stopped at the cemetery where my wife is buried and found the granite vase that was cemented between my parents headstone and Sherron's and mine had been stolen.

Now I'm concerned the %$^#^&* may come back and dis-inter her ashes for the urn.

A few years ago, the area I live in had a run of thefts from graveyards.  Thieves were taking every concrete angel they could find.  Several hundred were stolen, and I don't recall any arrests ever being made.

I'm thinking about posting a reward for the arrest and conviction of the thieves, but I'm also concerned that it may increase the targeting of the grave site.

this is a shame - sorry to hear of it UB , you have had those a long time and whomever lifted them probably doesnt realize the importance of them to those of us of this era , 

my sister was distraught when thieves stole the brass AMVETS plaque from my fathers gravesite , i got a replacement but she wont let me put it out , she thinks we are feeding the scrap metal thieves and she wants to starve them - since she hesitates to shoot them , 

im thinking vigilante lynching might be in order tho , 

I blame most of this on today’s young people and their sense of entitlement!  They’re told that anything they want can be had.  They AREN’T taught that they have to work for those things and so they think that it’s acceptable to just take what they want!

The only way to stop this trend is to kick the living crap out of some of these little brats in public and in the media when they cross the line and make it perfectly clear that this is NOT acceptable behavior!!

I had my helmet bag stolen several years ago. They left the SPH-4, which I thought would have been a priority for the thieves, but they said the bag was probably used to carry out other items.

Army helmet bags become a lot like naval aviator jackets.  After a while they’re records of crests, ranks, assignments, and unit insignias.  

Oh well. The memories are still there.  

8 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I had my helmet bag stolen several years ago. They left the SPH-4, which I thought would have been a priority for the thieves, but they said the bag was probably used to carry out other items.

Army helmet bags become a lot like naval aviator jackets.  After a while they’re records of crests, ranks, assignments, and unit insignias.  

Oh well. The memories are still there.  

They had no clue of the value of the SPH-4 obviously. Nor do a lot of second hand and antique stores. I bought a 1970 dated one for 65 bucks and a nearly new one with bag, gloves, and flight suit for less than 100. Sold the helmet alone for over 300.

Archived