SASS Wire Forum

Primers available

Hells Comin

I just  bought 4 hundred Federal small pistol at Sportsman @ $5.19 per hundred. 

SO that's $51.90 per thousand! U know there making a profit so I guess everyone else is ripping us off!

Hells Comin 

34 minutes ago, Hells Comin said:

I just  bought 4 hundred Federal small pistol at Sportsman @ $5.19 per hundred. 

SO that's $51.90 per thousand! U know there making a profit so I guess everyone else is ripping us off!

Hells Comin 

How did you get 400 when the limit is 2?  There are none in stock at the 2 stores near me.  Both are 65 miles away & at 32 MPG adds $24.76 to cost

49 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

How did you get 400 when the limit is 2?  There are none in stock at the 2 stores near me.  Both are 65 miles away & at 32 MPG adds $24.76 to cost

Wife was with me 

53 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

Haz-Mat for shipping is minimum $25. 

JEL

I hope our Sportsman’s gets some in, I’ve been buying 200 Cheddites from them every day or two for a couple of weeks but that’s all they have had. It’s a couple of miles out of the way coming home from work or church so gas isn’t a big deal.

Randy 

16 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I hope our Sportsman’s gets some in, I’ve been buying 200 Cheddites from them every day or two for a couple of weeks but that’s all they have had. It’s a couple of miles out of the way coming home from work or church so gas isn’t a big deal.

Randy 

What are you paying for those? Ballistic Products has Cheddites in stock max order 20k. $289.86 per 5k. 

That's about $6.61 per 100 after S&H & Haz-Mat. 

JEL

I’m glad I got my 10k cheddites for $39 per k. All the primers I’ve seen in the store are $70 now. It’s only gonna get worse I’m afraid as inflation goes nuts and all the craziness effecting the labor supply.

47 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

So...you know what their Cost is?

Phantom

I do,  I'm an 07FFL. My dealer cost right now for CCI is  $54.93 per 1000. That's orders under 50k. 50-100k is 49.83, and orders over 100k is 46.58 per 1000. Orders over 500k get special pricing. I'm sure Cabala's has a standing backorder of at least that so more than likely even cheaper. 

JEL

Sportsman's Warehouse in Laramie had CCI large pistol and Cheddite shotgun primers for $5.69 per hundred last Sunday. They have them every time I stop there. Yes, I think vendors are screwing people. Remember them when shelves are stocked up again.

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

So...you know what their Cost is?

Phantom

Don't care,doesn't matter, I can only speak for me, and that's more than I am willing to pay right now... Im stocked up, and speaking for myself only, they can keep them.

41 minutes ago, John E. Law said:

I do,  I'm an 07FFL. My dealer cost right now for CCI is  $54.93 per 1000. That's orders under 50k. 50-100k is 49.83, and orders over 100k is 46.58 per 1000. Orders over 500k get special pricing. I'm sure Cabala's has a standing backorder of at least that so more than likely even cheaper. 

JEL

Didn't really care about the price...I'm an FFL too so low and behold, I know the prices.

The "point" was that it's often common for folks to comment on how much is too much (retail), when they don't know anything about Costs. Won't even go into scarcity of products.

Love the "Wire"...

Phantom

5 hours ago, John E. Law said:

What are you paying for those? Ballistic Products has Cheddites in stock max order 20k. $289.86 per 5k. 

That's about $6.61 per 100 after S&H & Haz-Mat. 

JEL

$5.14 per 100, $5.64 per 100 after sales tax. 

Randy

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Didn't really care about the price...I'm an FFL too so low and behold, I know the prices.

The "point" was that it's often common for folks to comment on how much is too much (retail), when they don't know anything about Costs. Won't even go into scarcity of products.

Love the "Wire"...

Phantom

Tell me,  as an 01 dealer where are you getting your price lists from??

JEL

7 hours ago, John E. Law said:

Tell me,  as an 01 dealer where are you getting your price lists from??

JEL

I would assume that I get Pricing from the same sources as you...multiple Distributors.

01...07...don't matter.

Phantom

And again, unless one knows a companies Costs...they should just kinda shut up about prices...it's kinda embarrassing. 

It's like telling a restaurant that they are charging too much because you know the price of beef.

Do you know how much it costs to keep the doors open?  The taxes they have to pay?  How many employees and how much they have to pay them at a competitive salary + benefits?

How much does it cost for the building?  Utilities?  Maintenance, accountants,  vehicles?  How much profit they have to turn in order to restock at increasing prices?  How much operating capital is tied up in inventory?

Unless you are selling a product as a "loss leader", (something you sell at little of no markup, just to get boots in the door)... You have to sell items at a high enough markup to keep your business going.    True costs are a lot higher than the distributor's price for a product. 

Unless you are running a successful retail business, you have no idea what it takes to keep the lights on. 

12 hours ago, McCandless said:

If costs of your shooting supplies are more than you want to pay... then don't shoot.   It's simple.

Cowboy logic at it's finest.

14 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I would assume that I get Pricing from the same sources as you...multiple Distributors.

01...07...don't matter.

Phantom

And again, unless one knows a companies Costs...they should just kinda shut up about prices...it's kinda embarrassing. 

Just love it. Cowboy way at his finest. 

13 hours ago, McCandless said:

It's like telling a restaurant that they are charging too much because you know the price of beef.

Do you know how much it costs to keep the doors open?  The taxes they have to pay?  How many employees and how much they have to pay them at a competitive salary + benefits?

How much does it cost for the building?  Utilities?  Maintenance, accountants,  vehicles?  How much profit they have to turn in order to restock at increasing prices?  

Unless you are selling a product as a "loss leader", (something you sell at little of no markup, just to get boots in the door)... You have to sell items at a high enough markup to keep your business going.    True costs are a lot higher than the distributor's price for a product. 

Unless you are running a successful retail business, you have no idea what it takes to keep the lights on. 

If costs of your shooting supplies are more than you want to pay... then don't shoot.   It's simple.

It's actually allot simpler than that. If you don't like the price they are charging then don't buy from them.

According to Arizona ATF auditors, our "mom and pop" gun store has the largest amount of firearms in inventory every audit and carries a very large amount of ammunition and reloading supplies and accessories.   We fight every day since Covid, and especially since the 2020 riots, to try and resupply our shelves.  Was finally able to get 4000 small rifle and 2000 small pistol primers at a cost of $65.50 per 1000 PLUS Hazmat.  We do a large enough per year purchases to not have to pay shipping.  Cabela's, Bass Pro, Sportman's, Walmart, Cal-Ranch, "big box" outfits etc. buy FACTORY direct, so they cut out the wholesale distributor network who the "mom and pop" dealers have to buy from.  We have 5 employees plus the usual overhead, and we are not a "Philanthropic", or "not for profit 501" company.  

So what do any of you retail small business owners think our mark up over cost should be to make a profit after expenses? 

Don't care what retirees and union workers and government employees and people who have never had to run a small business think.

57 minutes ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

According to Arizona ATF auditors, our "mom and pop" gun store has the largest amount of firearms in inventory every audit and carries a very large amount of ammunition and reloading supplies and accessories.   We fight every day since Covid, and especially since the 2020 riots, to try and resupply our shelves.  Was finally able to get 4000 small rifle and 2000 small pistol primers at a cost of $65.50 per 1000 PLUS Hazmat.  We do a large enough per year purchases to not have to pay shipping.  Cabela's, Bass Pro, Sportman's, Walmart, Cal-Ranch, "big box" outfits etc. buy FACTORY direct, so they cut out the wholesale distributor network who the "mom and pop" dealers have to buy from.  We have 5 employees plus the usual overhead, and we are not a "Philanthropic", or "not for profit 501" company.  

So what do any of you retail small business owners think our mark up over cost should be to make a profit after expenses? 

Don't care what retirees and union workers and government employees and people who have never had to run a small business think.

In manufacturing, 50% on raw materials, 100% on purchased products. 

The LGS's aren't necessarily ripping you off. 

Sometimes the primers, powder, etc. are costing them more too.

So the goods have to get get marked up so they can pay their light bills too.

Mustang

Edit... I have been an FFL for 44 years. 

This last 2 years have been my worst.

One of the bigger chain stores here, there's 4 of them in the area around 50 miles apart. (I don't want to say their name)

They have guns, ammo, reloading supplies, camping, clothes etc. They're pretty big. Their primers are $13.99 for 100 and you can still only buy 300 at a time.:o

On 7/21/2022 at 6:50 AM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

01...07...don't matter.

Phantom

Distributors OR Component distributors? They are different. The three component distributors I'm signed on with will not even allow you access to their price list until your 06/07 FFL has been verified and you've completed and signed their multiple user agreements for their specific rules. i.e. an 07 can purchase for "Business Use Only", I cannot resell anything, but the 06FFLs can. I keep a standing backorder of 20k, because it finally get's filled about once every 18 months.  

I also completely understand that a business needs to make profit, but 100+% above cost? Cabela's is always WAY overpriced. I'd bet they're getting there SPP for max $41 per 1000. They're selling them at $90 per 1000 some at $12 per 100? The smaller dealers are selling at around $62 per 1000 Including the S&H and HazMat per 1000, (most are 2k max so figure $12.50 each on HazMat fee ), but then these same smaller dealer gets the shaft due to "allocation of goods" to the larger dealers like Cabela's?? IMO That's not right, it's these big box stores that are destroying the market, but hey, they have their Taj Mahal stores and bonuses to pay for.  

If costs of your shooting supplies are more than you want to pay... then don't shoot.   What a Cowboy way to feel :blink:     I think people are definitely willing to pay more especially in these times and shortages, but when the big box stores take up all the supplies due to "allocation" and then double the price just because they have the product it is wrong. YMMV.

JEL

My grandad always use to say "You can make a thousand bucks off a customer one time, or you can make a hundred bucks off a customer and ten of his friends a hundred times".

1 minute ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

YOU pay turn around go back in :)

Then change cap and shirt, shave off mustache, and go back in yet again! 

It'll grow back. :)

3 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Then change cap and shirt, shave off mustache, and go back in yet again! 

It'll grow back. :)

Also Fun fact they might have a sign up that says limit in back but just grab what you need the Cashier up front has zero idea about that sign  and will ring them all up .
  don't ask How I know that :0

Archived