SASS Wire Forum

Stupid movies

Rat Patrol TV series, where everyone is using American equipment, (except maybe some motorcycles and small arms, peel out in sand with squealing tires, tank cannons have three piece muzzle blocks, the good guys have instant access to bazookas, crossbows, unlimited amounts of ammo and grenades, copious medical supplies, and never seem to report to anyone, ever.

I watched the first disc and threw in the towel.

I was a teenager when that series popped up on television.  Even at that young, easily entertained age, I didn't make it through the first episode.

Not long ago I tried watching it on some "retro TV" channel.  Managed to endure for about ten minutes.  It hadn't improved with age.  :wacko:

Why was Rat Patrol Cancelled?

The Rat Patrol was shown in England briefly but was pulled off the air as British viewers objected to an American leading the charge in that particular campaign and felt it was the height of wishful thinking that two American jeeps with small guns mounted on them could defeat anything the Germans threw at them.

7 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Embarrassed to say, we have the new Magnificent Seven on.  Got it bundled with Silverado in discount bin lass than $5. 

Saw on one of the streaming services and enjoyed it.  A very good cast, it didn't take itself too seriously and overall the movie was fun.

1 hour ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:
Why was Rat Patrol Cancelled?

The Rat Patrol was shown in England briefly but was pulled off the air as British viewers objected to an American leading the charge in that particular campaign and felt it was the height of wishful thinking that two American jeeps with small guns mounted on them could defeat anything the Germans threw at them.

And the SAS/Long Range Desert Group was strictly a Brit operation. And the bulk of their vehicles were actually modified 1 1/2 ton Chevy 1553 trucks. But 5hey don’t look as cool. 

4A24A18E-67DB-4204-AC0B-693B98290F2C.jpeg

296BF2F5-0888-4C8E-9187-910C27B0A4A0.jpeg

A more modern version of Unbelievable is the remake of Resident Evil now playing on Netflix.
The bad guys use flying drones, that shoot thousands of rounds of heavy ammunition.

These do so without being weighed down by all that lead.
Plus, they literally never run out of ammo.

My wife and I eventually start hoping the leading heroine will die... cuz she is too damn stupid to survive.

It was a 1960s TV show.  It was not a movie and darn sure was not a documentary.  The next thing you guys will be doing is critisizing My Mother the Car.  Sheesh.  I have to catch up on my Tate reruns.  It was only on one season but had some guest stars that became Hollywood A listers.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053545/

29 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

... The next thing you guys will be doing is critisizing My Mother the Car...

Criticizing. My Mother the Car is ranked second as the worst TV show ever. :lol:

On 7/20/2022 at 4:30 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

And the SAS/Long Range Desert Group was strictly a Brit operation. And the bulk of their vehicles were actually modified 1 1/2 ton Chevy 1553 trucks. But 5hey don’t look as cool. 

Notice the Vickers K .303 machine guns with the top mounted drum mags like on Lewis guns?

Fort MacArthur down by Long Beach had a lot of these when they still had the big military shows down there

7 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

The A-team.

Ruger Mini-14s is every episode.

Fully auto

Made sparks when shooting a fiberglass boat hull but no holes.

Ruger AC-556, the selective fire version of the Mini-14.  I had three at the Police Department I worked at for 25 years.  They were very hard to control on full auto.  3 round burst was useable.  At 25 yards, aim at the pelvis, and the second round hit the center chest and the third round hit either high chest or head.  

OK. I'm going to jump in here and ask up front:
Am I the only one here who enjoyed watching the Rat Patrol as a kid :wub: and then went outside with my brother and several next door kids riding our bikes terrorizing the neighborhood pretending we were driving jeeps with machine guns mounted to the handle bars? :P

Snip-it_1658404485219.jpg.f145c245a5d79f3c818b97d5a9cce11a.jpg
If not, you may have lost a youthful moment and subsequent fond memory. :(

Thanks for post.

MV5BMTY4ODI4OTQ1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTEwNjQ4NA@@._V1_.thumb.jpg.6d7051c9fbc350c63a7db2ec3636e2bb.jpg

9 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Notice the Hotchkiss .303 machine guns with the top mounted drum mags like on Lewis guns?

Fort MacArthur down by Long Beach had a lot of these when they still had the big military shows down there

Not that it matters, but those are Vickers K machine guns 

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_K_machine_gun

3 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Am I the only one here who enjoyed watching the Rat Patrol as a kid :wub: and then went outside with my brother and several next door kids riding our bikes terrorizing the neighborhood pretending we were driving jeeps with machine guns mounted to the handle bars? :P

Thanks for post.

MV5BMTY4ODI4OTQ1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTEwNjQ4NA@@._V1_.thumb.jpg.6d7051c9fbc350c63a7db2ec3636e2bb.jpg

You are most certainly NOT the only one. I watched it as a kid, and for a while, a couple years ago, when it was on one of those Retro channels previously mentioned. 

How much influence did it have on me? Well, my first vehicle was a 1948 CJ2A. I've had several other Jeeps since, (While in the Marines, I was nicknamed "C.J," because of the CJ7 I had then), and still have a Jeep today, in part, at least, because of watching "Rat Patrol" back then.

013.thumb.JPG.d83ae1a662fd29655312b4213443ad68.JPG

21 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

......Dear Uncle Bob,

Are you sure they was 1553 models ?  :huh:

9 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Thanks for post.

I watched it and I enjoyed it, but I don't remember much about it.

I was also a big fan of "Combat".

10 hours ago, Chantry said:

Not that it matters, but those are Vickers K machine guns 

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_K_machine_gun

Okay, I could blame this on Covid, but truth is it was just an old fashioned brain fart.  I suppose I could say my memory isn't what it used to be but it really never was what it used to be.

Thanks for catching it.

6 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

......Dear Uncle Bob,

Are you sure they was 1553 models ?  :huh:

They used Ford F30s for awhile between 41-42 but went back to the Canadian Chevys. The Fords were heavier and used more gas. They replaced the Fords. The patrol commanders had jeeps after 42.

Archived