SASS Wire Forum

Top 20 Western TV Shows

Lawdog Dago Dom

My favorite was Cheyenne.  If fact, I just finished watch an episode of Cheyenne after seeing on Lawdog's link Cheyenne mentioned. 

Found it interesting that Clint Walker, who played Cheyenne--the big hunk of a man who made all the women swoon, was a vegetarian.  

Also, the link brought back another fond memory.  I can still picture my dad sitting in front of TV watching his favorite, High Chaparral

Watching the first episode of Have Gun, High Chapparal, Big Valley, The Rifleman, Cheyenne and Branded is a well-spent 2 hours.

Michael Landon said that Bonanza was three forty-year old sons with a fifty-three year old dad.

I basically  agree with the list, but while I like Longmire, Yellowstone and Justified I don't think those are real westerns, maybe a different category of "Modern" westerns.

I agree. I've seen people making lists of westerns, and apologize for putting Gene Autry and Roy Rogers on them, because while the shows happened in the West, they took place at the time they were made. They were taking place in the thirties and forties. People driving automobiles. That's not a western. Westerns took place in the late 1800s.

And as for Justified, if they're going to call that show taking place in Kentucky a western because he wears a cowboy hat, then McCloud must be a western. And it took place in New York City ("NEW YORK CITY!!??!!")

25 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I agree. I've seen people making lists of westerns, and apologize for putting Gene Autry and Roy Rogers on them, because while the shows happened in the West, they took place at the time they were made. They were taking place in the thirties and forties. People driving automobiles. That's not a western. Westerns took place in the late 1800s.

And as for Justified, if they're going to call that show taking place in Kentucky a western because he wears a cowboy hat, then McCloud must be a western. And it took place in New York City ("NEW YORK CITY!!??!!")

+ 100000

Makes me wonder and it was mentioned putting some shows in the list that weren't really westerns of the pre-1900s. There was a true list put out and can't find it now of western shows and how many viewers they had back when shown and what are the requested westerns and those shown now on different channels their viewership. I remember of the top 10 most requested and watched today are Cheyenne, Lawman, The Rebel, and Tales of Wells Fargo.  Each of these shows when broadcasted were also in the top 10.  The longest running shows since its concept and repeated over several channels is Lone Ranger and a non western the original Suerman with George Reeves. It was either 1948 or 49 when the first Lone Ranger was shown and has continuously  been shown since, here and abroad.

5 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I basically  agree with the list, but while I like Longmire, Yellowstone and Justified I don't think those are real westerns, maybe a different category of "Modern" westerns.

Oh please don’t put them in the Baptist category!!  ;) :P

1 hour ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Oh please don’t put them in the Baptist category!!  ;) :P

Are there Baptist Westerns?? :P

Neither My Darling Clementine (where Wyatt Earp - Henry Fonda - was dancing at the box social) or Fort Apache (where Colonel Thursday - Henry Fonda - was dancing at the Non-Commissioned Officer's ball) could be a Baptist Western.

Archived