SASS Wire Forum

Lee pro auto disc and black powder

Make do

Trying to get a powder measure setup for black powder and I have a RCBS, Hornady and Lee pro auto disc. The lee is the only one that has plastic meeting plastic the others have steel meeting steel. Is the lee safe to run black powder in it? Thanks

2 hours ago, Snakebite Dust SASS 75484 said:

I load on a Dillon with 3F. If I see static in the powder hopper, I rub a dryer sheet on it and it takes the static away 

++1

My 2 cents worth.

1. It is almost impossible to ignite graphited Black Powder (What 99% of all shooters use. It is why there is a "g" in the granulation size) via static electricity. I don't have enough information to make a determination about un-graphited Black Powder.

2. It is possible to ignite BP if you happen to catch a piece of quartz (sand) in the metal drum of a powder measure and crush it. It is not unheard of for sand to become trapped in a tree and wind up as a contaminate in the charcoal used to manufacture BP. I know of a couple of BP plant explosions where a piece of quartz caught in the corning mill was listed as a probable source of ignition.

3. The reason that all BP rated powder measures have a metal powder hopper with a loose fitting lid vice a plastic hopper is so that if the BP is ignited, the deflagration will be directed upwards and away from your face. (Although it will rain down on your head)

Interesting read.  The Electrical Ignition of Gunpowder

Archived