SASS Wire Forum

Help me help my Ophthalmologist

On 7/25/2022 at 12:09 PM, Go West said:

I had an eye doctor who let me bring a gun to my appointment, but that was long ago. I found that the distance from eyebrow to front sight on my rifle and pistol were about the same as was the distance to stretched pointed finger. I normally wear bifocals, but have both lenses on my shooting glasses as single vision with front sight distance the optimum. 

That's what my opthalmologist did. I just shot with them for the first time this morning.  So much better seeing front sights!  And, I can see close enough to move around and far enough to make out the targets.  Win!  SB

On 7/20/2022 at 4:07 PM, Shepherd Book said:

I generally wear progressive corrective lenses with bifocals.  Went a week and a half ago to my ophthalmologist with both rifle and pistol.  Focal length is almost the same.  Getting safety glasses for that focal length.  Looking forward to trying them out.  Progressive lenses are not good shooting glasses....SB

I was going to suggest progressives, have for years and use them for shooting. They have never been an issue, my cataracts, well, that is an issue. 

I have my lens adjusted so that the line where the progression starts is lower than most users have them set. The recommended is for the center of the pupil, if I do that, I get sea sick walking. 

Corrective eyewear is a whole lot of personal preference and what your brain will adapt to. 

BB

Archived