SASS Wire Forum

Ruger hammer metallurgy?

Palmetto Traveller

I would like to get the transfer slot welded up on a few pair of Vaquero hammers, both stainless and regular. I visited Ruger's website but all it says are "stainless steel" or "alloy steel" but what grade? The SS could be 304, 316 or something else entirely. I'm not a welder so it may not make a difference but I'd like to know.

Thanks,

PT

I don't know what the stainless is but I had Wes Fargo fill that space after I broke my first tranafer bar. I am pretty positive he silver soldered a stainless piece in. On the other hand I believe a tig welder could use stainless rod and fill that space. Mine were stainless Bisleys and Fargo also did the half-cock mod at the same time. I love the way the trigger stays at the back of the guard and never returns the the original factory position.

Doc Nelson

Hopefully you are doing this only after you have had a four click conversion.  Simply welding up the transfer bar notch is not safe as there is no half-cock notch to set the hammer when loading or unloading.  Most people do this as part of a short stroke conversion.

The half cock notch is a part of the planned modifications. I have a couple of other hammers that have been modified as models but I do not have welding equipment so I have to farm that part out.

The easier route is to simply send them to one of our better known experts but I want to learn and be more self sufficient.

Most firearms stainless steel is in an alloy family labeled 410 or 420.  This is a magnetic stainless steel.  Martensitic, hardenable, with variable carbon content and tempering heat treated.   Could also be 440, but that is much more commonly used in "low end" pocket and sheath knives.  Could also be a 17-4 stainless steel, which is a precipitation hardening stainless steel.

304 and 316 are NOT used in firearms much.  These are "chemical" (austenitic) stainless steels with much higher corrosion protection and much lower strength.  Not hardenable, not magnetic.  They see lots of use in chemical plants and marine environments.

good luck, GJ

2 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Boomstick Jay welds hammer spurs, he could tell you.

Imis

+1

The filler rod he uses to TIG weld them creates a very hard surface.

16 hours ago, Palmetto Traveller said:

The half cock notch is a part of the planned modifications. I have a couple of other hammers that have been modified as models but I do not have welding equipment so I have to farm that part out.

The easier route is to simply send them to one of our better known experts but I want to learn and be more self sufficient.

You've shot with Three Cut, give him a holler.  He'd more'n likely give you some good advice.

Archived