SASS Wire Forum

IAC v. Norinco

Col Del Rio

Good question! I didn't stop to think and just picked up the first reasonably priced 97 … now i need to dig out my wild bunch gear to check which one i got

2 hours ago, Col Del Rio said:

Is there a difference between the IAC 97 clone and the Norinco 97 clone?

International Arms Corp., Billerica, MA imported '97s under various markings.  Early ones may be marked "Norinco" and or you might find some late model ones marked "S.C. China (Sun City Manufacturing, China).  Mine, a middle-years gun is marked I.A.C. Billerica, MA, China S.D. 1.  It is generally thought that the later you get into the I.A.C. 97s, the better the quality.

The Norinco company was found guilty of selling armaments to US enemies.  After warnings, the Federal Government set a sanction against them exporting sporting arms into the US, including the 97s and 1911s they were making.   Interstate Arms Corporation of Billerica MA then struck a deal to import the same guns, bypassing the sanctions by having their name put on the guns. 

Those were basically the same designs and made on same machinery that Norinco used.  Coyote Cap then wanted to see better quality 97s built, so he worked several years with IAC and the Chinese company to make many improvements in quality, parts fit, metallurgy and stock wood.  Including eventually going to American Black Walnut for the stocks.

So, other than the many improvements that were made, the Norinco and IAC imported 97s are derived from the same copied Winchester 97s.   Yes, there are differences, mostly IAC is considered better or much better by most pards.

good luck, GJ

Archived