SASS Wire Forum

Do you need to reholster pistol after shooting a stage?

Quiet Burp

You can set them on the table after firing as long as the pistols are shot last. Otherwise, generally they go back to leather unless stage instructions allow the option of setting them on table.

• Revolvers are returned to leather (re-holstered in a safe condition) at the

conclusion of the shooting string, unless the stage description specifically directs otherwise (e.g., “move to the next position and set gun on table or prop”). A shooting string is defined as shots from one type of firearm prior to the next type of firearm engaged.

Shooter's Handbook, page 14.  You can download a copy of the rule book off the SASS main page.

You can set them down. However, must be holstered before firing next gun. So not practical except when pistols are last guns on a stage.  In general I do ground first pistol when pistols are last. Many prefer to just let muscle memory take over and holster pistol. 

Shoot gunfighter and you don’t have to worry about it.

Also, most clubs will make accommodations as needed for new shooters that don't have holsters yet and allow for staging of revolvers and shotgun loads… also done for more experienced shooters that for some reason left their leathers on the kitchen counter …probably because they were so excited to head to a match… hey it could happen … even to the best of us! 

Around here (and most places, I think?) rifle is never last, so pistols will be last on half of the stages.  Lately I've been thinking I should start doing it, but then I'm having enough trouble already trying to work on my other transitions (overcoming 20+ years of time-wasting muscle memory).

1 hour ago, El Catorce said:

Also, most clubs will make accommodations as needed for new shooters that don't have holsters yet and allow for staging of revolvers and shotgun loads… also done for more experienced shooters that for some reason left their leathers on the kitchen counter …probably because they were so excited to head to a match… hey it could happen … even to the best of us! 

it is also done for people with disabilities and older experienced shooters that are not as able to move safely between stages with their guns.

Then there is also the stage instruction "make pistols safe" which allows setting on the table/prop "when safe" to do so.  Whether this is allowed other than when pistols are last, is somewhat "grey." 

Since I have been back shooting, from my 6 year hiatus until Shyster's Revenge got big enough to shoot, several rules have changed.

For example this one in this post. The way I've been advised you can now set your first pistol on the table if it's the last gun and if it's not the last gun it can still be placed on the table, but then it must return to leather before the next gun is fired. Where do they get that from?

The RO 1 says: Revolvers are returned to leather (in a safe condition) after the shooting string unless otherwise directed by the stage design/description.

Are they considering both pistols to be a shooting string?

I'm not doubting the rule, I just cant find where it says you can do that. 

While I'm on this the rule changes subject there is one new rule that was made since I left and came back that I cannot stand. It's the rifle lever closing during the stage and the call being be made afterwards: 

Rifles will be cleared and discarded with their barrels pointing safely down range. If the action of a rifle closes after being cleared, the shooter will, at the conclusion of the stage, show it to be clear to the TO. No person other than the competitor may handle the long gun prior to opening the action and showing it to be clear.

Since I have been back I have never seen such horrible and unsafe discarding of shotguns and rifles. To me this was a HORRIBLE rule change and allows shooters to literally drop their long guns with almost reckless disregard and I have seen it very often in my few months back. I personally will NEVER leave the lever closed during discard and I am teaching my son that it MUST be open before moving to the next gun. This rule, in my opinion, teaches bad and unsafe habits.

OK, my preaching is done.

JEL

6 minutes ago, John E. Law said:

I personally will NEVER leave the lever open and I am teaching my son that it MUST be open before moving to the next gun.

Why would you NEVER leave the lever open, but teach someone else to? ;)

16 hours ago, Quiet Burp said:

After drawing from a holster, do you need to reholster your first pistol after shooting a stage or can you place it on the table?

Go to a match.  You'll find out what rules are.  Australian Single Action Shooting may not go completely by the Single Action Shooting Society rules.  Just as you Australian alias may not be your SASS alias unless you register it with SASS.

The S.A.S.S. rules are:  

16 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:
  • Revolvers are returned to leather (re-holstered in a safe condition) at the

conclusion of the shooting string, unless the stage description specifically directs otherwise (e.g., “move to the next position and set gun on table or prop”). A shooting string is defined as shots from one type of firearm prior to the next type of firearm engaged.

Shooter's Handbook, page 14.  You can download a copy of the rule book off the SASS main page.

40 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I'm pretty sure he just mistyped, and meant that he would never leave it closed.

9 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I'm pretty sure he just mistyped, and meant that he would never leave it closed.

That's why I winked.

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Ahhhhh I see that. Should be closed. Brain doesn't keep up as well as it used to. 

JEL

1 Yes

2 No

3 Maybe

Yes if it doesn't specify staging them on the table but only after the pistol string is completed

No if there is a pistol malfunction and there is a round or rounds left in the pistol unfired

Maybe in the case of #2 OR the stage instructions specify staging guns on the table

kR

On 7/20/2022 at 3:30 AM, McCandless said:

Go to a match.  You'll find out what rules are.  Australian Single Action Shooting may not go completely by the Single Action Shooting Society rules.  Just as you Australian alias may not be your SASS alias unless you register it with SASS.

The S.A.S.S. rules are:  

There are no different rules in Australia, we shoot to SASS rules. The OP needs to read the rule book.

35 minutes ago, Jackaroo, # 29989 said:

There are no different rules in Australia, we shoot to SASS rules. The OP needs to read the rule book.

Harsh?

I've read a ton of questions asked on the Wire where a curt answer such as "The OP needs to read the rule book" could have been said, but that's one of the great things I've found with a lot (though not all) of the pards who frequent the Wire, is that they will answer helpfully and with friendliness, questions that have obviously confused another pard who is seeking some clarification.

I know I'm late to the party here, but yes, you can lay the first pistol on the table while shooting the second one. Then both have to be holstered before leaving the line or moving to the next gun. Here's the rub: if you get in the habit of laying your first pistol on the table while shooting your second one, and pistols are shot first, are you going to lay one on the table, shoot the second, then holster both before moving on? I personally have enough going on in my little pea brain without that, so I just holster every time no matter whether pistols are shot first, second or last...

It really depends on the height of the prop I always work out. If its a foot or so below where you're shooting from then yes, it's faster to put in on the prop, but if you have to bend over quite far, it would be faster to holster. And I only ever do that if pistols are last, you're losing a ton of time by laying one down and picking it up again to holster and it's far slower to holster two guns at the same time too, imo. And if you're shooting a cross draw,...well why would you even think about it? :huh:

On 7/19/2022 at 12:50 PM, John E. Law said:

Are they considering both pistols to be a shooting string?

I believe the answer to your question is that a shooting string is a series of required shots from a type of gun.  So, a 10 shot pistol string incorporates both pistols.  

From the glossary:

Shooting string – shots from one type of firearm prior to use of the next type of firearm

engaged.

A stage could be written with two separate 5 shot pistol strings, shooting a different gun between them, but if there are ten consecutive shots from pistols, that sounds like one string according to the SHB p44.

Archived