SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 97 issue.

My 97 which is a original solid frame, has been off to a gunsmith, barrel cut, action gone through and slicked up, parts that needed replacing replaced, front bead installed, load 6 conversion installed. I was told it had been test fired and worked. Fed 6 out of the tube with no problem, I was even charged for the test firing.

Well it does not feed 6 rounds out of the tube. Some times it is the first round, some times it is one of the other 5 rounds. Nothing consistent about it. It does not work with my reloads, Winchester factory loads or federal factory loads or practice rounds.

I contacted the guy who did the work, he said it was puzzling and to send it back. I don't have an interest in doing that.

Any pointers or tips would be appreciated. 

When the shell is hung up.

IMG_9086.thumb.jpeg.e9f95aff268d30d6718e3f8dd135ddfd.jpeg

It appears your problem is when the carrier is up, that's when the plates are pushed outward allowing a round to feed against the carrier.  Then the carrier drops, the shell entered on top of the carrier the fingers go to the center and stop a double feed.  Either your plates are bent or carrier is worn. Null & Void's reply may also be the issue. 

If it was a Norinco, I could see that happening, mine had the same issue. With a Winchester, obviously used, I find that a bit odd. I've got no experience with the feed six mod, but you may want to check the clearance between the nose of the carrier. 

I'm not very good at describing what happens, but here goes. The feeding (from the magazine is controlled by several parts, and there are clearance and timing issues. Real Winchesters were timed from the factory, and that's it. I've seen very little written on the subject. In a nutshell, when you are pulling the handle back, the carier moves down and releases a shell from the magazine. With dummies in the magazine, slowly pump the action and observe the shell coming out of the magazine tube. I turn the gun upside down, or point it to the sky and look at the bottom. As you pump the carrier pushes the cartridge stops and a shell should pop out and rest against the nose of the carrier, but not push the shell back into the magazine and onto the stops. IOW, its a clearance and timing thing. At the end of the pump, the shell jumps into the action. 

I was unable to view your video, codec issue ???? Load it onto Youtube to convert it to their format. 

I've attached my write up on the issues i had with my Norinco, same symptoms. 

The Norinco 1897 Shotgun.pdf

I looked at your shotgun, and compared it to mine. IMO your cartridge stops are the issue. 

986955814_97cartridgestops.thumb.jpg.ec346cc1ffbc1f3f60ed00b0930b8926.jpg

The nose of the stops should be sharp, yours appear rounded. 

Don't see a video - just a white filled frame, and I hear the audio of action racking. 

But, if the shell stops do not move out of the way and let the round out of the magazine, it's commonly because the contact points on the insides of the tails of the shell stops have worn to the point of not opening enough.   Weld can be added, or the stops carefully bent.  

Bad springs or worn pivot screws or dirty channels for the stops can also be involved.  Work the action with dummy cartridges and watch the tips of the shell stops carefully.

good luck, GJ

Not sure what the problem on your SG is, but I know my Winchester will feed Remington hulls like a Swiss watch, but others are iffy and it will not feed a Winchester hull up from the magazine at all. I talked to the smith that set it up and he said he used Remington sts to set up the guns he works on. 

I had this same issue with a very slicked up 97. Too much material was removed from the carrier so it did not reliably push the shell stops to feed the round. Different ammo would feed better than others. However the fix (for me) was to put a little weld on the left shell stop, then file and polish it to achieve smooth reliable feeding. Been shooting it for over a year in WB since the fix with no problems.

Archived