SASS Wire Forum

RIFLE QUESTIONS FOR CLASSIC COWBOY AND B-WESTERN

OutlawPreacher

So I think I am going to need new rifles....

I had a Henry Big Boy in 45Colt prior to me considering the sport used for hunting and I picked up a Winchester 1873, but in 357/38spl as I picked up two pistols in the same caliber (also cant be used for the Classic Cowboy division, but luckily I have two Army Outlaws in 45 Colt that would work for the pistols.)

Neither of these rifles are legitimate rifles for these categories correct?  

For Classic Cowboy, I need a 40 caliber or greater rifle in 1873 or older, so my 1873 doesnt work.....

For B-Western I need an 1892 or newer rifle....in any caliber, which I am not sure about the Henry Big Boy, but I read no one wants this rifle from a sporting perspective anyway.

Is this correct?  Appreciate the knowledge as I am new to the sport and not doing so great at it if I am right with regard to the selection process of what I should be bringing!

For CC your rifle can be a Henry 1860, an 1866 or a 1873 model, 38-40 caliber on up.

The Henry "Big Boy" is legal in B-Western.

Henry Big Boy Rifle (not legal in Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl Categories) (SHB p.39)

The Classic Cowboy rifle and ammo regs are on
p.7 of the SHB.

B-Western rules are on p.8.

From the Shooters Handbook

SASS RIFLE REQUIREMENTS

=========================

Rifles or carbines used in the main and team matches must be original or replicas of lever or slide action rifles manufactured during the period from approximately 1860 until 1899, incorporating a tubular magazine and exposed hammer. Rifles with box magazines may not be used. Certain shooting categories require a specific type of rifle and ammunition to be used. Please see the shooting categories for further information

- Rifle Calibers - Must be centerfire of at least .32 caliber and not larger than .45 caliber. - Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers. Examples include, but are not limited to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .38-40, .44-40, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, and .45 Colt. The only allowed exceptions are the .25-20 and .56-50. No rifle calibers such as .30-30 or .38-55 are allowed.

- Henry Big Boy Rifle (not legal in Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl Categories)

Classic Cowboy/Classic Cowgirl SASS RIFLE REQUIREMENTS

=====================================================

- Rifles: Any 1873 or earlier manufacture SASS legal rifle or a replica thereof (e.g., 1866 Winchester, 1860 Henry, 1873 Winchester). - Revolver and Rifle Calibers: .40 caliber or larger, rimmed cartridges. Examples include, but are not limited to, .38-40, .44 Special, .44 Russian, .44 Mag., .44-40, .45 Schofield, .45 Colt, or .36 caliber or larger cap and ball.

B-Western/Lady B-Western Category SASS RIFLE REQUIREMENTS

==========================================================

- Rifles: Any SASS legal rifle of 1880 or later design or a replica thereof (e.g., Burgess, Lightning Rifle, 1892, 1894 Winchester or Marlin)

Here’s another tip,..you dont need to shoot in either costume category at all! shoot what you already have in an age based category…or in a shooting style category  as in duelist or gunfighter… most of us sweat the category details when we are starting out… most of us also outgrow it real quick when we figure out that “fun” is how each of us defines it.. and we shoot for fun! @Doc McCandless posted on the fb group a while back that we all do this for fun and we all define “fun” very differently than everyone else. 

get out there, shoot what you already have to get started then make changes to your gear/category/technique/shooting style/outfit/hat/cart/loads/etc as you figure out how you define “fun” and make this game we love even more fun for yourself! 

And there's one other thing...

Sooner or later you will be saying something like this...

I've got 1 Henry, 2 66's, 1 73, 4 92's, 1 Spencer, 1 Burgess and 5 Lightnings.   Some originals, some reproductions, and several calibers.  And that's just main match rifles.   This game will cause your gun collection to unexpectedly grow.   A lot.

To amplify El Catorce; Take the guns you have, pick the age category (think duelist, but forget classic cowboy or B western). Then dress for the category you consider the one you like and shoot. You will have all of the fun right now, and can work you way into CC or BW as $'s and interest allow. I repeat: Start with what you have. You'll end up with a better idea where you want to end up.

Rev. Chase

OP (the OP, in this case),  since you mentioned both BW and Classic, which are quite different clothing-wise, do you already have some of that or are you thinking you would like to "dress up"?  I agree with just wearing whatever you want and shoot in the age-based category with duelist or traditional or however you like to start.  Learn how to shoot and you can decide if you want to "specialize" later.  I wear enough stuff to shoot classic but don't want to shoot duelist.  Since you're just starting remember: shooting good is important, but it's more important to look good than shoot good.  You can only shoot good for a few minutes at a match but you can look good the whole time.  

p.s. don't forget those two categories have their own leather requirements as well.

On 7/20/2022 at 11:31 PM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Since you're just starting remember: shooting good is important, but it's more important to look good than shoot good. 

And if you neither shoot good nor look good, well, I guess there are spelling contests.

antidisestablishmentarianism

:rolleyes:

8 hours ago, Will Kane said:

And if you neither shoot good nor look good, well, I guess there are spelling contests.

antidisestablishmentarianism

:rolleyes:

One could argue that antidisestablishmentarianism is not a word.  A 'word' is a collection of sounds spoken in a specific order that have a commonly understood meaning, and an agreed upon spelling in its written form.

How many people actually know what antidisestablishmentarianism means?  I'd venture to say that most people don't.  If its only function is to be an example of "really long word," but has no real meaning beyond that, is it really a word.   No matter what it may have meant in the past, it really isn't a valid part of the lexicon anymore.  It's just not a real word, irregardless of what some people may try to assert.  Ain't that the truth?

28 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

One could argue that antidisestablishmentarianism is not a word. ...

Okay, it's not in the dictionary (Merriam Webster online), but antiestablishmentarianism is. :)

The longest is Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis but don't ask me to spell it!

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

One could argue that antidisestablishmentarianism is not a word.  A 'word' is a collection of sounds spoken in a specific order that have a commonly understood meaning, and an agreed upon spelling in its written form.

How many people actually know what antidisestablishmentarianism means?  I'd venture to say that most people don't.  If its only function is to be an example of "really long word," but has no real meaning beyond that, is it really a word.   No matter what it may have meant in the past, it really isn't a valid part of the lexicon anymore.  It's just not a real word, irregardless of what some people may try to assert.  Ain't that the truth?

That is unequivocally the most antidisestablishmentarianistic response this pseudoneoantidisestablishmentarian ever come across! 

2 hours ago, Will Kane said:

Abilene, you bring back very fond memories of recess banter during the fourth grade at Stephen F. Austin Elementary School. :)

Will, they let you banter?  I mostly remember kickball.  My main memory of 4th grade was hearing Principal Baugh announce over the loudspeaker that Kennedy had been shot. :(

To the OP: welcome to the Wire.  Hijacks abound. ;)

Howdy Cowboys,

Speaking of banter: the banter is an important part of CAS. Getting together with a bunch of like minded folks and discussing a plethora of (un)important topics, kidding one another and even genuine commiseration over life's travails is a big part of what keeps us coming back. The shooting can be fun, too.

Rev. Chase

On 7/25/2022 at 6:07 PM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Okay, it's not in the dictionary (Merriam Webster online), but antiestablishmentarianism is. :)

The longest is Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis but don't ask me to spell it!

Abilene, you are quite the sesquipedalianist.

On 7/26/2022 at 9:21 AM, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

Howdy Cowboys,

Speaking of banter: the banter is an important part of CAS. Getting together with a bunch of like minded folks and discussing a plethora of (un)important topics, kidding one another and even genuine commiseration over life's travails is a big part of what keeps us coming back. The shooting can be fun, too.

Rev. Chase

I gotta agree… sometimes we are too quick with our floccinaucinihilipilifications! 

1 hour ago, El Catorce said:

I gotta agree… sometimes we are too quick with our floccinaucinihilipilifications! 

Sounds like something you don't want to catch!

Had to let Google pronounce it for me.:lol:

Well the times they are a’changing!

Now which categories can I do…let me see…

I was able to scare up the following and now I’ve got a smart sprinkle!

Got an 1892 in 45lc

Got an 1873 in 45lc

Got an 1873 in 357/38

Got a Henry Big Boy 44lc

Got a Winchester Model 94 12ga

Got a Stoeger coach 12ga

Got a pair of Army Outlaw Frank James in 45lc

Got a Pair of Army Outlaw 1875s in 357/38

Got a pair of Ruger Vaquero New models in 45lc

Got a Bond Arms Snake Charmer in 357/38

Got an Iver Johnson 32

Got an 1862 22 pump

Got a pair of Heritage 22s

Whew!  I think I’m set!  

Outlaw Preacher,
Go to a match, or even several matches.  The nuances of the categories will become much clearer as you become more familiar with the game.  Shooting in the age based categories, you can use pretty much anything and it's how many new shooters choose to start out.  Classic and B Western have costume and firearm specifications.  

Howdy Outlaw,

What? No Win 87? No Win 66 or Henry? No pair of Schofields? Just kidding. Seriously, just a hammer sxs and you can shoot any category you decide you like on any weekend. I'd be envious if I didn't already have way too many (according to my lovely bride) guns already.

The well armed,

Rev. Chase

7 hours ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

according to my lovely bride)

Once you get a few just pile em up and toss the new one ontop of the pile… they lose count after about 8 or 10…. Dont ask me how I know …

8 hours ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

Howdy Outlaw,

What? No Win 87? No Win 66 or Henry? No pair of Schofields? Just kidding. Seriously, just a hammer sxs and you can shoot any category you decide you like on any weekend. I'd be envious if I didn't already have way too many (according to my lovely bride) guns already.

The well armed,

Rev. Chase

Now I would enjoy a pair of Schofields!

14 hours ago, OutlawPreacher said:

Schofields!

I’d suggest a slicked up pair of ruger vaqueros in .357 next…now that they’re coming available again… 

10 hours ago, El Catorce said:

I’d suggest a slicked up pair of ruger vaqueros in .357 next…now that they’re coming available again… 

I saw a pair of SASS sequential stainless in 45LC for $2500 tonight!  

Archived