SASS Wire Forum

Cat question

Alpo

I don't own a cat. NoKNOW next to nothing about cats.

Story. They have gone to his house, and he is taking a shower while she is going to feed the cat.

>I hear the shower stop, so I raise my voice. “Cat food! You’re starving your kitty.” 

“Tall cabinet. Middle shelf. Make sure it’s cat food. I don’t want to feed him tuna!” 

“Got it,” I replied. “Finish your ablutions!”<

Is there any particular reason why you should not feed your cat Starkist instead of Fancy Feast?

Mercury in the tuna.
Same reason why humans are advised no more than 1x weekly.

I pay $0.74 for a can of Fancy Feast.
Tuna is more $$.
Cat snubs FF all too often... would torque me off if he was snubbing real tuna.

Tuna is like crack cocaine for cats, but it lacks all the nutrition they need.

When I make tuna salad for the wife, I have to give our little monsters a little tuna - they demand it.

3 hours ago, bgavin said:

Mercury in the tuna.
Same reason why humans are advised no more than 1x weekly.

I pay $0.74 for a can of Fancy Feast.
Tuna is more $$.
Cat snubs FF all too often... would torque me off if he was snubbing real tuna.

I don't eat tuna at all so I guess I'm safe.

I have a big yellow CAT that’s very expensive to feed. And when it gets “sick” boy that’s really expensive. I thinks it’s $3000-5000 just to pull in the parking lot.

I love cats...but it's hard to eat a whole one at one sitting.  

The way my two kitties eat, I'd have to get a third job to afford all the tuna they could eat.  They get a little nibble from the wife when she eats some.  I personally don't eat tuna, mostly because it was the staple, every day meal fixed by my mother during my early childhood.  

Actually, I suppose, a better question is why does he keep the cat food and the people food on the same shelf in the pantry? The dog food is nowhere near where my food is. Not because I'm afraid of eating her food by mistake. It's just - like I don't keep the ammunition next to the toilet paper. I keep the dog food with the dog food and the ammunition with the ammunition and the toilet paper with the toilet paper and the people food with the people food.

Reckon I've got OCD?

I had two cats for 20 years ( one was 19 and the other 20 when they died) I would feed them Starkist tuna for a treat once in a while. They loved it but it didn't stop them from eating the cat tuna. For me it was mainly cost. 

Having caught a lot of tuna and delivered them to different cannaries for packing (actually swapping for previously canned product), I've seen first hand the difference between what goes into the Starkist or Chicken of the Sea cans and what is carted across the street to the pet food cannary. 

The cat food tuna at modern cannaries is really not too bad.   They used to utilize offalls and rejected/tainted tuna that did not receive proper refrigeration on the catch boats.  But today all of the offalls are used for livestock protein supplementation, and  virtually all of the commercial and sport catch boats are well equipped with fast Nitrogen  freezing equipment, so tainted tuna don't really show up in the catch now, except from an occasional private sport vessel. 

Today most of the pet food cannaries use mostly the  discarded oily belly meat and thick red lateral muscle tissue off of the tuna (non- palatable to humans), plus any strong tasting Skipjack Tuna that show up in the delivered catch.  People wouldn't find those products very palatable, but most cats will eat them --at least occasionally. 

The cannary tours are really pretty interesting (but less than fragrant). 

Archived