SASS Wire Forum

Armed citizen stops mall shooter UPDATED AGAIN 6pm MDST Monday

Utah Bob #35998

15 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Try link below.  A little more information on the shooter and the good Samaritan.  Number of rounds fired by each, etc.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/17/us/indiana-greenwood-park-mall-shooting/index.html

I notice that most of the shootings are in or near large metropolitan areas, lots of parties (alcohol?), lots of suspected gang activity, and a few involving other crimes as well.

I also note that quite a few are committed by people who are breaking the law simply by being prohibited from owning a gun.

Lots are in places where guns are not allowed for some idiotic reason or another.

Finally, i see where very few are committed in places where a vast number of citizens carry guns just as a matter of daily living....like Arizona where almost all of the VERY FEW shootings are in or near Phoenix, a place that could be called "Eastern California" because of all the immigrants for other countries, but more importantly, moving in from other states.

I believe I'll stay here for the rest of my life.....and carry or have immediate access to at least one loaded gun (often more) at all times.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard to argue with people who have made the determination that their families, kids, grandkids are not worthy of having dad or mom be prepared to protect them. But they want other people who are willing to put themselves at risk to protect others to be prevented from doing so. This fits with their victimhood social justice award system that rewards followers with praise for being victims. 

3 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

It's hard to argue with people who have made the determination that their families, kids, grandkids are not worthy of having dad or mom be prepared to protect them. But they want other people who are willing to put themselves at risk to protect others to be prevented from doing so. This fits with their victimhood social justice award system that rewards followers with praise for being victims. 

That’s usually my argument to people not willing to defend themselves or their loved ones . I’ve asked a number of people if they have explained to their loved ones that they are not willing to defend them from an attack ,  but they are willing to place a call to have a total stranger in a uniform with a gun come to protect them , if they arrive in time . Because either way a firearm is being introduced into the situation . This is the one time I believe  gun control, “if there’s a gun around I want to be in control of it “ . To me it’s like telling someone who’s bleeding out I’ve called the ambulance but won’t make a attempt to stop the bleeding myself. I just don’t get some peoples lack of logic/problem solving/survival skills.

6 hours ago, Alpo said:

Although, the way that was phrased, it reads like the 22-year-old killed three people and wounded others before he killed the man with the AR.

I wonder if that was deliberate, or just stupidity on that woman's part?

Yes stupidity. Because she thinks he was illegally carrying. Which he wasn’t.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Yes stupidity. Because she thinks he was illegally carrying. Which he wasn’t.

Since when do the anti-Constitutionalists of the Left let a little thing like facts interfere with their chosen narrative, Bob? 

Her accusation of illegality is just more fearmongering, hysteria and hyperbole- in other words, it's a day with a name that ends in 'y', so it's business as usual.

The police have said that the citizen was legally carrying in the mall. The mall sign saying no firearms allowed or however it was worded, is the equivalent  of a sign stating no shoes, no shirt, no service. If they discover a mall customer is carrying they can ask you to leave but it's only trespassing if you refuse to leave at that point. He was legally carrying per law enforcement. 

Tuesday Afternoon update.  Police have updated their statement on how quickly the response happened.  Dicken took the shooter down from 40 yards in 15 seconds from the time the shooter exited the bathroom and started killing innocents.  

Police update the time of response to the active shooter

Apparently he fired 10 shots at 40 yards and hit the murdering POS 8 times in 15 seconds.   That is very good to exceptional shooting.

Those of you who carry might want to incorporate some distance shots in your practice.

14 minutes ago, Chantry said:

Apparently he fired 10 shots at 40 yards and hit the murdering POS 8 times in 15 seconds.   That is very good to exceptional shooting.

Those of you who carry might want to incorporate some distance shots in your practice.

And so far I’ve seen nothing presented that he is any type of high speed low drag operator . Kinda shoots a big hole in the anti gunners theory that the normal Joe is just some bumbling fool that can’t be effective. None of us know how things will turn out when we’re tested , I’m glad this young man excelled 

7 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

And so far I’ve seen nothing presented that he is any type of high speed low drag operator . Kinda shoots a big hole in the anti gunners theory that the normal Joe is just some bumbling fool that can’t be effective. None of us know how things will turn out when we’re tested , I’m glad this young man excelled 

I suspect either he lived at the range, or more likely, is a regular competitive shooter in one of the handgun action shooting disciplines where he lives.

On edit:  And I look forward to the anger & bitterness of the anti gunners when they find out the new details

3 minutes ago, Chantry said:

I suspect either he lived at the range, or more likely, is a regular competitive shooter in one of the handgun action shooting disciplines where he lives.

He definitely has good trigger control under stress 

1 hour ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

He also definitely wasn't carrying a 2" belly gun or a pocket .380 either.

I would say that’s probably the case but I wouldn’t say definitely until all the details are in. I still kinda doubt the 40 yard comment. 

If the time frame of 15 seconds is correct then the approximate 40 yard engagement distance, at least for the first couple of shots, seems to make sense.  The distance might have lessened as Dickens was moving forward.  In any event, the police chief indicated it was "tactically" correct.

I saw one report that estimated the initial shots by the hero were from approximately 76 feet, 25 yards. It may take a while to determine how far the bad guy retreated and how far the good guy moved forward while he engaged. But I've seen some comments that think maybe the 40 yards was really 40 feet and that doesn't seem to be the case.

3 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

I saw one report that estimated the initial shots by the hero were from approximately 76 feet, 25 yards. It may take a while to determine how far the bad guy retreated and how far the good guy moved forward while he engaged. But I've seen some comments that think maybe the 40 yards was really 40 feet and that doesn't seem to be the case.

In either case, even if 40 feet, darn fine shooting.

No matter the distance, "Fine Job" by an armed citizen. Just wish they hadn't put his name out there. "Hero" is good by me.

17 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

No matter the distance, "Fine Job" by an armed citizen. Just wish they hadn't put his name out there. "Hero" is good by me.

Yes his name did Not have to be released, at least while the investigations is ongoing. Afterward it would be able to be accessed through freedom of information but it would give him some breathing room before the press camped out on his sidewalk.

On the other hand the MSM would probably be happy if this story went away.

But on the other other hand, they might hope to paint him as a gun totin screwball not much better than the but he took down. :angry: I hope he fever agrees to an interview.

On 7/19/2022 at 7:49 AM, Alpo said:

Although, the way that was phrased, it reads like the 22-year-old killed three people and wounded others before he killed the man with the AR.

I wonder if that was deliberate, or just stupidity on that woman's part?

Good question

I no longer believe in coincidence, poor phrasing, stupidity or misstatement when it comes from the left.There is absolutely nothing nothing nothing that is not a calculated furthering of their agenda in how they state things.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Don’t get me wrong. I have fired many rounds effectively from 50 yards. My point was Not that you can’t effectively engage from 40 yards,  but that in a shopping mall there are very few places where a clear view of Anything can rarely be seen from that distance do the the design of the average mall.

23 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Don’t get me wrong. I have fired many rounds effectively from 50 yards. My point was Not that you can’t effectively engage from 40 yards,  but that in a shopping mall there are very few places where a clear view of Anything can rarely be seen from that distance do the the design of the average mall.

It wasn’t my intention to imply anything. I just posted it so people can see what someone can do . This guy is a trainer and currently LEO . And I just find his channel interesting because he’s practical . I also like the fact he supports this kid and wants to give him a gun .

Two pictures of the food court, Courtney Spinelli appears to be a reporter for WTTV CBS4Indy

image.thumb.jpeg.259904944da3062065dc0caaeb477327.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a0e7c707e232e288bb81570a508b8b5c.jpeg

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Yes his name did Not have to be released, at least while the investigations is ongoing. Afterward it would be able to be accessed through freedom of information but it would give him some breathing room before the press camped out on his sidewalk.

But on the other other hand, they might hope to paint him as a gun totin screwball not much better than the but he took down. :angry: I hope he fever agrees to an interview.

I’m actually surprised I haven’t seen a story painting him as a racist Trump supporter 

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I saw early on that he (the hero) authorized his name being released, but that he would not do interviews at the time.

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I’m actually surprised I haven’t seen a story painting him as a racist Trump supporter 

I'm also surprised. I saw a picture of him. He's white. He must be a racist. It's required.

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bob said:

This young man seems to be the new rage in the training community, I’ve seen at least 6 Dickens drill videos pop up on my YouTube feed 

I hate to be the one to point out the obvious but...the steel isn't shooting back or moving. 

10 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I hate to be the one to point out the obvious but...the steel isn't shooting back or moving. 

Granted and we still don't know a lot of the details from this shooting.  

As someone on another board speculated, it is entirely possible the murdering POS didn't even know there was another armed person present until after he got shot the first time and presently there is nothing known either way if he got another shot off after being hit by the armed citizen.

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

It never is when your training, you can only simulate so much . 

9 hours ago, Chantry said:

Two pictures of the food court, Courtney Spinelli appears to be a reporter for WTTV CBS4Indy

image.thumb.jpeg.259904944da3062065dc0caaeb477327.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a0e7c707e232e288bb81570a508b8b5c.jpeg

40 yards, now 30 yards, We’ll see what the final investigation says.

Archived