SASS Wire Forum

Armed citizen stops mall shooter UPDATED AGAIN 6pm MDST Monday

Utah Bob #35998

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/hero-armed-citizen-in-mall-stopped-shooter-police-chief/ar-AAZGfGN?ocid=mailsignout&li=BBnb7Kz

Update

https://apnews.com/article/greenwood-indiana-mall-shooting-updates-01ae7fb09e48aebf0058a90907c0c26d

Update 2

While it's certainly a good thing in this mall shooting that someone was able to stop it before it went any further, let's not think we can substitute that outcome in all past and future incidents,” Lankford said. “If everyone's carrying a firearm, the risk that something bad happens just gets much larger.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/rare-in-us-for-an-active-shooter-to-be-stopped-by-bystander/ar-AAZHRfd?ocid=mailsignout&li=BBnb7Kz

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard this on every news channel including the local ones here that tend to be a little to the left. Good to see them finally reporting what a legal armed citizen can do to help save lives!

Good, I'm glad that this violent criminal was stopped permanently. It's a shame that he was still able to do the damage that he did.

Most of the malls around here have signs at the entry doors stating that weapons (specifically mentioning firearms) are prohibited. I guess that it scares the criminals out of their wits but, in Florida, is not really legally binding. If one's firearm was somehow discovered, they could call law enforcement and have a trespass warrant issued. If one refused to leave, it would be armed trespass...not a good thing. Anyway, I have to wonder if this mall had such a sign or prohibited firearms from its properties. If it did, I wonder if they will re-think their policy.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I've heard this on every news channel including the local ones here that tend to be a little to the left. Good to see them finally reporting what a legal armed citizen can do to help save lives!

I'm very surprised.

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Just out of curiosity, was the good guy carrying a California approved gun?

Would it have been reported the same way if it has happened in California....or any other anti-gun state?

Sadly, if he was in MA or CA, he would be charged with something, anything -- they couldn't let it slide.

• Utah Bob #35998 changed the title to Armed citizen stops mall shooter UPDATED 10:25 am Monday

And another case in Missouri yesterday

Armed citizen stops robbery

18 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

I can't find the article now, but one reported that the mall had signs prohibiting carrying of firearms.  

There is a mall I carried in it accidentally, did not realize it was signed.

I had parked by one of the anchor stores; this store was not signed. The mall entrance from inside the store was not signed.

I had stepped outside for a smoke, and only saw the sign as I was about to re-enter... Walked to my car instead and left.

Did this defender knowingly break a law by carrying in that mall? Well, one completely  legitimate defense in this case is  to say "Yes I did, and it is a good thing I did!" He saved lives.

I choose not to enter such a space at all if I can avoid doing so.

I am going to probably mess this up. I used to live and carry in Indiana. A sign is not considered legal notification. Even in these times some can't read, or don't understand English, and as others have pointed out, they often are not in full view. But, if someone that owns the establishment verbally asks you to leave, and you don't, you can be arrested for trespassing.

25 minutes ago, Cholla said:

I am going to probably mess this up. I used to live and carry in Indiana. A sign is not considered legal notification. Even in these times some can't read, or don't understand English, and as others have pointed out, they often are not in full view. But, if someone that owns the establishment verbally asks you to leave, and you don't, you can be arrested for trespassing.

You are correct.

2 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

There is a mall I carried in it accidentally, did not realize it was signed.

I had parked by one of the anchor stores; this store was not signed. The mall entrance from inside the store was not signed.

I had stepped outside for a smoke, and only saw the sign as I was about to re-enter... Walked to my car instead and left.

Did this defender knowingly break a law by carrying in that mall? Well, one completely  legitimate defense in this case is  to say "Yes I did, and it is a good thing I did!" He saved lives.

I choose not to enter such a space at all if I can avoid doing so.

He legally carried. Broke no law. All they can do is ask you to leave if they found out you were carrying, and how could they. If you refuse of course, then you’re trespassing and could be earned, cited or arrested, depending on the jurisdiction. In a few states, if they have posted a sign in accordance with state statutes, you could be arrested.

Know your state’s gun laws if you’re carrying.

They are really playing it down, saying what a rare exception this is. They would like to sweep it away as it doesn’t fit the agenda.

Yes they are downplaying it and describing it as extremely rare. But, as the left point out "if it just saves one life it's worth it".  Using the lefts reasoning this incident proves that lawful citizens carrying concealed is a good thing. Many lives saved.

33 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

They are really playing it down, saying what a rare exception this is. They would like to sweep it away as it doesn’t fit the agenda.

Darn!  How can we Woke Liberals get all firearms banned with this kind of incident?!?   Oh, let's pass laws that make all places of business a "Gun Free Zone" just like schools.  Then these rouge people walking around with concealed evil guns loaded with lung blowing bullets won't have opportunity to be called "Heroes."   That way we can then exploit situations when mass shootings do take place to further the removal of all evil guns from society!   It's for the good of the children and future generations!!

13 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

The article in Fox News shows some are criticizing the guy and the phrase "Good Samaritan".

Totally expected! :angry: He denied the poof fella his due process. 
But the coroner will process him at the morgue. I’m okay with that.

I don't get the preoccupation here on the media accounts. The NYTimes article is straightforward enough. It describes the shooting and that it was stopped by a citizen with a gun, whom the police are quoted as calling a 'good Samaritan'.

They (libs and MSM) really can’t stand that a good thing happened.

• Utah Bob #35998 changed the title to Armed citizen stops mall shooter UPDATED AGAIN 6pm MDST Monday
11 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Nothing on CNN's main page.

Try link below.  A little more information on the shooter and the good Samaritan.  Number of rounds fired by each, etc.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/17/us/indiana-greenwood-park-mall-shooting/index.html

1 minute ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Try link below.  A little more information on the shooter and the good Samaritan.  Number of rounds fired by each, etc.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/17/us/indiana-greenwood-park-mall-shooting/index.html

I hate it when they identify the good guy. If it was me I would want to remain as unknown as possible. The reporters will be camped out in front of his house and digging into his background.

And they do not have to immediately identify him. Let the press file a FOIA request. Give the guy some breathing room. 

6 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

For some reason that link wont open for me

Screw Adam Langford. The guy’s a flippin’ twit. Criminal Justice expert my arse! An office jockey that sits in a protected environment scanning stats and numbers. The turd probably never sets foot off university property. Self-righteous jagoff. 

From the article UB posted:

“There's been this statement: ‘The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.’ That's factually inaccurate because of the word ‘only,’” said Adam Lankford, a criminal justice expert at the University of Alabama who has written books and research papers about mass shootings.

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Screw Adam Langford. The guy’s a flippin’ twit. Criminal Justice expert my arse! An office jockey that sits in a protected environment scanning stats and numbers. The turd probably never sets foot off university property. Self-righteous jagoff. 

From the article UB posted:

“There's been this statement: ‘The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.’ That's factually inaccurate because of the word ‘only,’” said Adam Lankford, a criminal justice expert at the University of Alabama who has written books and research papers about mass shootings.

Well, he can't be expected to condone such actions!

Independence like that must not be acceptable.  It makes the sheep uppity and we can't have that.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gun-control-advocates-stunned-man-165604677.html

"I don’t know who needs to hear this but when a 22-year-old illegally brings a loaded gun into a mall and kills a mass shooter armed with an AR-15 after he already killed three people and wounded others is not a ringing endorsement of our implementation of the Second Amendment," Moms Demand Action founder Shannon Watts said on Twitter.

It's not? A bad guy kills three people and wounds others, and an armed good guy stops him by killing him. And this is not a good thing?

Although, the way that was phrased, it reads like the 22-year-old killed three people and wounded others before he killed the man with the AR.

I wonder if that was deliberate, or just stupidity on that woman's part?

Archived