SASS Wire Forum

Federal ammo life

Highwall

Due to health issues and surgeries not to mention worsening eyesight I can no longer participate in active shooting.

My question is how long is boxed ammo still good? I have four boxes of 45/70 Federal 300 gr. stored in my basement that cost me 

$160 back about 10 years ago and wonder. 

I read an article back in the 1970s about shooting 45-70 rounds from a 100 year old unopened crate of military ammo. It was Loaded in the old copper foil cases. They fired 100 of them and only 2 failed to fire.

Thanks to all. Good to know information. 

On 7/18/2022 at 3:47 AM, Highwall said:

Due to health issues and surgeries not to mention worsening eyesight I can no longer participate in active shooting.

Sad to hear that :( I remember when you joined the Wire which isn't that long ago.

I hope you can still enjoy your other hobbies and activities!

All the best,

Phil

I just fired some WWI vintage .30-06 military ball in M1903 stripper clips. 

It all worked great.

On 7/19/2022 at 5:05 AM, Equanimous Phil said:

Sad to hear that :( I remember when you joined the Wire which isn't that long ago.

I hope you can still enjoy your other hobbies and activities!

All the best,

Phil

Thanks Phil. I was a long time member but didn't connect to the wire until I discovered it late. I'm looking forward to making hiking sticks, canes  and fishing again. Hoping my thumb will handle the tasks after having to have the trapezium bone removed. 

Most of the common ammo makers have decent bulk stuff. Federal, Winchester, PPU, Fiocchi... Then there are some remanufacturers that have gained a good reputation, Iike freedom munitions.

Steel cased stuff works, but I don't use it too much myself.

It boils down to how much you want to pay... But higher price doesn't mean better in all cases.

sorry to hear this , we are suffering a lot of losses these days - i fear faster than the new get started , 

ill add reinforcement to those above , your ammo should be good for a long time yet , its all about storage conditions , most of us that shoot this would gladly buy it and you should see a profit over what you paid , 

Archived