SASS Wire Forum

'73 rifle extraction variation

Dusty Devil Dale

I'm noticing a huge variation in the extraction efficiency between different '73 rifles.  Some throw the rounds higher and much further than others.  My own Uberti .357 tends to barely eject the cases, and they tend to dance around on top of the barrel between my eyes and the sights, which is irritating, at best.  Occasionally, one falls into my sleeve and brands my forearm.  

I understand the function of the extractors, and have changed both, my upper extractor and lower tab, and also the firing pin, several times, seeking a remedy.   I've also tried TIG-modifying an extractor hook to extend it and get a better grip on the case head.  The replaced/modified parts and more fitting care have not corrected the issue.   

I don't think levering force is the culprit, because working the lever more slowly, deliberately, and forcefully changes nothing. 

I shoot only Starline .38 sp brass.  

It isn't a drop-dead issue that affects the shooting very much, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how they overcame it.  

I tend to shoot the rifle rapidly, but again, speed doesn't seem to affect the extraction very much.  

Im perplexed (and multiple-branded). 

My ejection throw got significantly lower after replacing the stock UBERTI lifter and lever springs with wire springs (The Smith Shop). But I have the impression that it's just the lower required force and more controlled movement for levering the smoother action that causes the lower ejection, not the lifter spring itself. The last case always fly much higher when I slam the lever open after the rifle sequence.

I am looking forward what the experienced gunsmiths will say :)

It is the subtle differences in the carrier that determine where cases are ejected. Timing is also important.

Have a good 73 smith check your timing. You could try a different carrier 

The only functions the Extractor serves is to well, Extract the case then retain the case in position for the Carrier Block to Eject the case.  Over the years of setting up '73s, I found some rifles spit cases out and others just dribbled 'em out.  Much depends on how forcefully the lever is run and other etheric factors I never fathomed.  Concluded the rifles just "run the way they run."

Best of Luck

My OPINION after watching your video a couple times is - it's you.

Not saying that as a negative.

But I watched your technique and your lever opening motion is (again, my opinion and video can be deceiving) the barest minimum required to operate and cycle the rifle - now that is probably the absolute best for conservation of motion and efficiency and all that - but EJECTION is caused by the carrier block; velocity of ejection is based upon the speed/ force the carrier interacts with the empty case while direction is a factor of carrier design and modification.

I think you are being too gentle (and "maybe" failing to fully open the lever) in the cycle for high velocity ejection which might be the cause for your cases to dribble out instead of disappearing into the horizon.

I would recommend you let someone else run the rifle and see if they have the same results as you are experiencing.

If we were closer I would volunteer myself as I have a reputation for putting brass yards away from where I am standing.

Of course - I look like I am attempting to rip the lever from the rifle every shot - so there are trade offs.

If you watch the brass in the rifle run - it demonstrates the height and distance.

30 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

My OPINION after watching your video a couple times is - it's you.

Not saying that as a negative.

But I watched your technique and your lever opening motion is (again, my opinion and video can be deceiving) the barest minimum required to operate and cycle the rifle - now that is probably the absolute best for conservation of motion and efficiency and all that - but EJECTION is caused by the carrier block; velocity of ejection is based upon the speed/ force the carrier interacts with the empty case while direction is a factor of carrier design and modification.

I think you are being too gentle (and "maybe" failing to fully open the lever) in the cycle for high velocity ejection which might be the cause for your cases to dribble out instead of disappearing into the horizon.

I would recommend you let someone else run the rifle and see if they have the same results as you are experiencing.

If we were closer I would volunteer myself as I have a reputation for putting brass yards away from where I am standing.

Of course - I look like I am attempting to rip the lever from the rifle every shot - so there are trade offs.

If you watch the brass in the rifle run - it demonstrates the height and distance.

You've made some good points, and observations.  I may be levering too lightly in trying to get more speed.  Having another experienced shooter work the gun is a good idea.   

What is hard to understand is that the gun ejects cases weakly even when I test fire it and work the lever individually, one round at a time, and very deliberately. 

But your and others' comments got me wondering about the condition of the top of the carrier block itself and the lifter arm.  I'm using a fairly worn bronze carrier that does show some wear across the top, especially in the empty case path.  I have several extra aluminum carrier blocks, so I will give another one a try.  I will also go out to the range and try slamming the lever forward fairly hard just to see if it changes the ejection path. 

Thanks for taking time to analyze the video and comment back.  Very helpful.

Mine will throw them 6-8 ft. in front of me. Shot my wife's and they dropped at my feet. Put her lifter in my rifle and they dropped at my  feet.  The top of her lifter is more beveled than mine so I carefully filed a little on mine so it looks like hers but still throws them out front 6-8 ft.  When both are at their highest point they appear identical. Puzzling

LF

Archived