SASS Wire Forum

Security/trail/game cameras?

Our neighborhood has had a rash of smash and grab break-ins of vehicles parked on the street.

The neighbors on our block are looking for some type of camera to mount which would look at the sidewalk and record activity, especially at night.  It does not have to be Internet connected and all that stuff. Something that simply records a decent quality video or photo and then purges the old images once storage is full.  When we wake up and find broken windows, we want to have images of what happened last night.

I appreciate any insight the Saloon might offer. 

DISCLAIMER:

This story is told as a tale of a 70 year old incident in CANADA and is not a recommendation for the use of violence or to encourage the use of a trap or any other illegal method of securing private property. 

Your problem reminded me of a farming Uncle of mine in the 1950's and his solution to night-time prowlers/egg poachers around his hen house and orchard.

Stealing eggs and fresh fruit from his orchard was bad enough, but the damage done to the trees getting the fruit and the broken eggs just wasted had a serious affect on his small farming operation.

On the advice of an older neighbour, he placed a couple of Trail Guns, each loaded with a blank in a couple of strategic areas and waited.

One night, he heard one shot, then another, followed by some yelling, a vehicle starting, racing away, followed by a crashing/crunching sound and a motor over revving before it was shut down.

He called the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) who showed up some time later to find a car in the ditch after it had struck a mail box and the neighbours empty bulk milk container stand.

Strangely, the car was reported "Stolen" but Uncle Bert and the neighbours never had a problem with night crawlers again.

The trail camera that Wal-Mart sells will work for your purpose.  Get several of them so that you can get different camera angels.

Harbour Freight has a set of 4 cameras that, while no great shakes, are decent enough. I've got them on the front of my house, and I can see everything that happens on the street outside. They are connected to my T.V., and you can watch all 4 at a time, or a single one full size on your T.V. It can record for about 7 days, and you can go back and look at it for that time. The system has 8 inputs, and they also sell additional cameras if you need more. 

There ARE instructions on connecting it to your confuser, but I haven't bothered. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/home/security-safes/8-channel-surveillance-dvr-with-4-hd-cameras-and-mobile-monitoring-capabilities-63890.html

It seems that lawlessness is continually raising year after year.  It is so saddening.  

Charlie, I apologize that I have no advice to give you as I have no experience with security measures or cameras.  But, it breaks my heart that you’re having to deal with this.  

I do hope you’re successful in countering these criminals.  

The issue with trail/game cameras is most only film for about 15 seconds and reset. That may be enough to get your scum however. Sad what we have come to. Remember when ya could leave your keys in the car and the door unlocked when ya went out?

Actually, you might try some motion detecting spotlights mounted on the second story.  Crims like it dark.  Home Depot and the other big boxes have reasonably priced light / camera combinations.  Never used them as we have always had dogs which would wake me up.

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

Actually, you might try some motion detecting spotlights mounted on the second story.  Crims like it dark.  Home Depot and the other big boxes have reasonably priced light / camera combinations. 

If you're just looking to chase them off, that would probably work. 

Some years ago, my landlord had me do this: We set up a motion detector light across the drive looking at his door. It was literally the only way into his place, so anybody wanting to get in there would set off the light. Now, the kicker was that we connected a 12V DC transformer up to it and connected THAT to a car alarm siren. Anybody trying to get in there would get lit up AND have a siren wailing at them. I liked the idea so much that I did the same at my place. 

Had our car hit by smash and grab at 5:30 pm parked in well lit spot outside a bass pro shop and restaurant.  Asked for tape from the owner, they had the vehicle, plate, and saw him circling the lot.

you know what the cops did with that information?  Nothing, not a damn thing.  Didn’t even want it.   If a firearm wasn’t stolen or over 10,000 damage you can call in and file a report so you get a number to give to your insurance.  

they most likely are not going to care one bit if you hand them a gift wrapped evidence package.

Get cams that will take burst shots and keep shooting as long as the motion is detected. Generally the pics will be a bit more clear than the video, the trick will be concealing them well enough.

Covert wireless are great.  Cameras that send an instant picture are less likely to be stolen and can be tracked if they are.  Place another camera covering the first one.  

Simply safe has cameras if near a wifi.  

@Charlie Harley, #14153,

When our mailbox got run over we wished we had some sort of surveillance set up but did not.

We did set up inexpensive trsil cameras in the tree by the road , high enough not to be seen easily nor stolen without a ladder.

The problem we encountered with them is that no matter what setting we used the batteries drained too quick.

Have considered other alternatives and will follow this thread as well

20220317_141018.thumb.jpg.cd464a7a959581e4e9a87d21394b57b1.jpg

20220317_141004.thumb.jpg.bdedf5177343377de300ec35b93c9521.jpg

Archived