SASS Wire Forum

16 July, 1969

Subdeacon Joe

I remember it well.  My father, who spent his entire career in aerospace, gathered the three of us around the TV to watch.  Magnificent.  That is what inspired me to work in aerospace.

July 1969, I was fresh out of high school and in Navy Boot Camp in Orlando.

It was hot and it WAS NOT 'learn how to swim day' in the training schedule.

..........Widder

I was 15 and trout fishing on the Rio Grande river south of Creede, Colorado. When I got back to the house it was on tv and my step dad was telling us that it was all staged and it didn’t really happen. 

I was visiting Grandparents on Cape Cod at 15 yo.

Happy Birthday Slim

I was in a popular College Bar on Cape Cod, and it was on the TV.  A drunk staggered over to play the juke box and without a word said was picked up, passed hand to hand and thrown out the front door.  Everybody else was really fired up. 

Our neighbours, my Mother and Father, my bride and I all watched with excitement, bated breath and even a few tears of joy. 

You have to dial back to the Cold War and the USSR putting Sputnik up in '57 which scared the heck out of everyone.  Our attempt to respond in '58 failed when the booster blew up.  That led to the creation of NASA and ARPA plus a huge boost in money for College Education.  At the height of the drive for space 5% of national spending went to NASA.

20 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I remember it well. I was 8 and totally nuts about NASA and the Apollo missions. 

For me it was the space shuttle.  I was in third grade when the Challenger blew up, and I watched it live while walking from the classroom out to recess (they had a TV on a cart!). 

I was 22 married and my son was a year old. I remember watching it!

Armstrong was supposed to say, “ One small step for A Man, one giant leap for mankind. 
I guess he was a little nervous!:lol:

I'm told I witnessed it, but I have no memory of it.  Of course I was only 37 days old so I suppose I have a legitimate reason for not remembering.

Archived