SASS Wire Forum

Best round for a 38 conversion cylinder on a steel Pietta 1858 36 cal Remington?

Not Dead Ed

Hi All, 

I recently acquired a Pietta 1858 Remington with a conversion cylinder.  
With regular 38 RNFP ammo, the rounds are keyholing at 5 yards.  
Everything I read suggests using 148 grns HBWC (hollow base Wad Cutters) to expand to the gap and engage the rifling. 
Anyone ever use 38SW rounds at .361. I hesitate to try just because they are a hair oversized to the barrel bore and I can’t find any reference either way.  
thanks kindly in advance for advice.  
Not Dead Ed.

UPDATE 7/27/22.  Bear Creek has a 150grn, RNFPHB (hollow base) bullet now in stock in addition to the wadcutters.  I ordered 500 of them and will try them out with my BP subs here this weekend.    The long skirt on the bullet should engage the barrel’s rifling.  

Howdy NDE,

I've had some luck with HB wadcutters in an 1851 Colt repro .38 S&W. I use American Select powder for those loads. My load will be of no value to you for . 38 Spec. My recommendation is to use a handbook and work up to a load with enough power to blow the base of the bullet out to fill the bore. You'll know when you found the right load as the groups will come in dramatically.

4 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Tuolumne Lawman recently posted about Bear Creek Bullets coming out with a new hollow base bullet (not wadcutter) for use in conversions.

I saw Bear Creek has HBWC’s, I’ll see if there are others on their list.  Thanks. 

6 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Bear Creek is supposed to be making a bullet to address this problem.  So far, however, it is not on their website.

Sounds like I’m making a call on Monday.  

54 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

The barrel bore on a .36 cap and ball is .375.  That is why the bullets are key holing at five yards.

Yep, when you can drop a 38 round right down the barrel, and can tap it out with a bamboo skewer, you know it’s just rattling down the pipe.  

56 minutes ago, Not Dead Ed said:

I saw Bear Creek has HBWC’s, I’ll see if there are others on their list.  Thanks. 

I don't think the new one is on their website yet.  I'm thinking it is 150gr, but not sure.  Also, they have a 105gr bullet that is hollow base, but that has thick skirts.  The reason for the hollow base on that one is to make the bullet longer, not to expand.

• Not Dead Ed changed the title to Best round for a 38 conversion cylinder on a steel Pietta 1858 36 cal Remington?
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived