SASS Wire Forum

Slotted screw vs. Phillips head screw: Legal or not?

Widder, SASS #59054

SHB pg 36

SCREWS
- Factory screws may be replaced with socket head cap or other type screws.

WIDDER,

Atz a screwed question.  Stop Screwing around would ya.  It's obviously not a screw up, to screw wid yer screws, no matter how screwed it seems.  Sorta.  Maybe. B)

I needed a small screw for an original 1887 shotgun.  I think it ran the trigger spring.  It screwed in from the top tang into the flat spring.  I tried everything I had at hand. It was an odd one. Went to Westlake Hardware with the spring in hand. Searched high and low and finally found an exact match. #5 fine thread. A little long. That was no problem.  The head was Allen. Used it. i think the reproductions have a coil spring. 

As easy as it is to bugger a slotted screw, it's even easier with (and just about impossible to touch up) a Phillips head screw.  I'd go with a socket or even torx.

good luck, GJ

4 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Can an external 'Phillips head' screw be substituted for a 'straight slotted' screw and be considered a legal mod?

Thanks

..........Widder

Ok, what did Tennessee Williams try and pull this time? :D

Kajun

Slowly, this "thread" may be "spiraling" out of control. :lol:

7 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Can an external 'Phillips head' screw be substituted for a 'straight slotted' screw and be considered a legal mod?

Thanks

..........Widder

Only on the left side :lol:

6 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

As easy as it is to bugger a slotted screw, it's even easier (and just about impossible to touch up) a Phillips head screw.  I'd go with a socket or even torx.

good luck, GJ

+++ torx are great for lifter spring screws.  ;)

Back when pards drug their irons through the dirt, dust and manure day after day, it was probably easier to clean mud out of  a slot than from a socket.  Now that we have compressed air, picks, ultrasonic cleaners and gun cases, the need for simple clean out has receded.  

good luck, GJ

On 7/16/2022 at 5:41 PM, Mister Badly said:

Phillips head screws are the devil. 

I've read that Phillips heads were originally developed to prevent over-torquing of screws in manufacturing assembly lines.  The screws were intended to strip, as a sacrificial part, and still  be reverse-removable prior to over-torquing and damage to more expensive parts occurring.  

Archived