SASS Wire Forum

Helpful/Usefull info for 1894 Marlin & 1897 shotgun owners

Widder, SASS #59054

A friend lost the front BOTTOM floor plate screw to his 1894 Marlin.

I managed to break the hammer main spring screw in the carrier of an 1897 IAC.

For all intended purposes, these 2 screws in the 94 and 97 are almost identical and can actually be interchanged.   The head of the 97 screw

is a tad bigger but can be polished down to fit flush in the 94.

ANYHOW, the hardware store owner sold me some screws that seem to work great in both the 94 and 97 with minor fitting of the head portion.

The screws he sold me were Phillips head and the screw shaft portion was only a couple .000's longer than needed so I sanded them down.

I also had to turn the head of the new screws down to approx .277 to fit both the 94 and 97.

The hardware store owner referred to these Phillip head screws as a #5. (which didn't mean anything to me).

Anyhow, if any of our Pards are in need of one of these screws for their 94 Marlin or 97 shotgun..... visit your local hardware store and see ifn 

one of these screws can help you out.

P.S. -  if you shorten the screw a little, you can also use it on the left side of the 94 receiver.   

P.S.S. -  I don't know if  switching out a straight slotted screw for a Phillips head screw constitutes an illegal  external mod on the 94.

I'm gonna check with PWB on this.

..........Widder

Our Ace Hardware was a few boxes of "gun Screws" in hardware section.   And for $2.50 they have gage block to check thread sizes on typical American thread screws.   Very handy for mix and match screw sorting     GW

To be of use the thread size and pitch needs to be listed.  (E.g., 5-40, 6-48, 8-32, 10-32.)   #5 is a generic OD and does not tell you what size screw is needed.

Archived