SASS Wire Forum

After recommendations for an accurate powder thrower

Quiet Burp

I use the RCBS Chargemaster for my rifle loads. It works great and is fast and accurate.  I got mine used at a great deal, but they are pricy when new.  If you're loading a lot of cartridges is worth the money. 

JEL

I have a Lee disk powder measure too, but I can only use it with certain powders. Powders too coarse or too fine causes accurate throw issues for me.

For more precision powder throws with any type of powder, I use my CH4D No 502 powder measure. I use it for cartridges as small as 32 ACP and as large as 338 Lapua. 

Bad part is that I think you have to buy them direct from CH4D, so no discount pricing.  I've had mine for about 30 years. My uncle bought it for me when he saw me struggling with my Lee disk measure while trying to throw charges of Unique...which metered about as well ss Corn Flakes. 

I think you would be happy with the CH4D No 502

The RCBS Chargemaster JEL mentioned is awesome! I have one of those too. I've never used it for pistol loading, but I have it programmed for two of my 308 Winchester long range match loads and one 6.5 Grendel long range match load. 

I've had a RCBS Uniflow on my bench for over 48 years.  Since I bought my first Dillon 36 years ago, it's been relegated to rifle loading only.   It like others of similar design & operation, seems to prefer ball & flake powders over extruded ones.  But, I don't find many pistol loads using extruded powders, so all is well.  Just make sure you use a baffle and throw at least 5 consecutives at a particulasr weight before setting off to charge a bunch of cases w/o weighing each individual charge.  They are sensitive to changes in technique and force, so checking often is preferred.  I generally weigh every 5th charge.  

21 hours ago, Quiet Burp said:

throw very consistent loads of 1.5grns of WIN231.

For Cowboy?    Way over complicating things. 

I find my Dillon measures with pistol slide are about as accurate as any measure. 231 is a ball powder and measures pretty well in most measures.   But looking for accuracy better than +/- 0.1 grains on that load is a fool's errand.

good luck, GJ

6 hours ago, Quiet Burp said:

I'm needing to throw very consistent loads of 1.5grns of WIN231.

I use my RCBS for my 308 (42.5 grns Reloader 15), 38-55 (21.5 grns & 24.5 grns 4198), 45 Raptor (47 grns Lil'Gun) and 50 BMG (247 grns Hodgdon H50) (for those I gotta drop 3 loads of 100, 100, and 47 since the RCBS will do 100gr drop max). The only pistol I use it for is 500 mag (44 grns 5744 (350gr bullet) 27 grns 5744 (500gn bullet)). 

For that little 1.5gr amount I'd just use my hand trickler onto the scale. That's what i do for my subsonic 300 BO load (13.5 grns Lil'Gun). I think if you're dropping under 15 grns the RCBS is slower. 

What load are you dropping 1.5gns for?

JEL

Doesn't make any difference what I use.  None at all.  Even a spoon.  Throw a spoon of powder and it all scatters every which way in the breeze.  Same same with scoops.  Throw the powder and it just goes in the wind.

10 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

I don’t have to respond to this.  As I read Griff’s response above, I realized that is exactly what I was gonna say.  So I guess that would be Griff +1

+2

9 hours ago, John E. Law said:

I use my RCBS for my 308 (42.5 grns Reloader 15), 38-55 (21.5 grns & 24.5 grns 4198), 45 Raptor (47 grns Lil'Gun) and 50 BMG (247 grns Hodgdon H50) (for those I gotta drop 3 loads of 100, 100, and 47 since the RCBS will do 100gr drop max). The only pistol I use it for is 500 mag (44 grns 5744 (350gr bullet) 27 grns 5744 (500gn bullet)). 

For that little 1.5gr amount I'd just use my hand trickler onto the scale. That's what i do for my subsonic 300 BO load (13.5 grns Lil'Gun). I think if you're dropping under 15 grns the RCBS is slower. 

What load are you dropping 1.5gns for?

JEL

1.5grns is for loading .32 S&W Long

1 hour ago, Quiet Burp said:

1.5grns is for loading .32 S&W Long

I figured it had to be 32s of some sort. 

JEL

I replaced an RCBS Little Dandy with the fixed rotors with a Lyman Brass Smith. It uses a stem for gross adjustments and a micrometer to dial it in. I've found it's quite easy to hit the load you want and is very consistent.

Redding BR3 with the handgun metering option. Very good for 1-3 grains of 231, clean shot, or any other very fine type powder.  

use this for 2.5 gr 231 loads and 1.8 gr loads for pocket pistol 32s&w.  

not great for flakes like red dot though

56FACF38-E5C2-4555-A9E1-77FF370AA781.png

37020C03-A93A-4C10-8A30-954EE10F3C36.png

Plus 1 for the Redding #3. The newer ones have small and large metering chambers. I have 3 of the old original #3’s that had a standard metering chamber. The micrometer adjust is really nice. It allows recording a setting and going right back to the exact charge when I set up that caliber again. I have had no issue running 2 grains of Bullseye. This measure does not really like stick powder, but for flake and ball I’ll take it any day. 

Sam Sackett 

Hi Appreciate the answers......just to double check is this the one that is recommended for down to 1.5grains and 3.5grains and also suitable for rifle powders with the other 'insert' ???

It doesn't say "Model 3BR" 

https://safarifirearms.com.au/redding-model-3-powder-measure-with-both-chambers-sku-03200r/

Here is a link to the Redding powder measures on the Titan website. They list the 3BR with the universal only and also one with both the universal and pistol measures. 

https://www.titanreloading.com/product-category/redding-reloading-equipment/redding-powder-handling-equipment/

Hope this helps. 

Sam Sackett 

Unless you weigh each charge individually on a very good scale you aren't going to get better than +/- .1.    I used to shoot Benchrest..used a Redding Model 3BR (a VERY good thrower) and that was true then as well.  

The good news is it doesn't really matter.   Even with loads like that in a 32 you'd be hard pressed to be able to find any noticeable difference between 1.4 and 1.6. 

My Pocket Pistol loads (back before the bans.....grrr) were 1.1 of 231 in a 32 Short, and I never felt concerned about that sort of variation... 

Archived