SASS Wire Forum

Does New York know something we don't?

Well...

Brandon did say we are going to have a second pandemic so there's always that to fall back on if NY don't get nuked. :blink:

I figure if ANY city in the USA were to get bombed, the enemy would like to take out NY first and foremost.   

1. Its on the coast

2. its the center of the financial institutions

3. it would take out more people at one time

4. overall..... it would do the most damamge

and 5.   probably half the citizens in the US wouldn't care.

..........Widder

After learning a great deal about nuclear weapons and their aftermath in the Navy I have always thought that this poster from the 70’s, though humorous, is probably most realistic. 

319190EE-F395-47BD-AEA5-A01F10BF5FB0.jpeg.941cd4014f42d6a95fc4cfdd9e7b6461.jpeg

I hope this is never helpful to you. ;)

And then there’s this…

image.jpeg.02f40ddd1d6a6dbea259440b19186383.jpeg

But Noooooooooo…New York has to spend a million bucks on a PSA that essentially says the same thing and will have about the same effect. ;)

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

And then there’s this…

But Noooooooooo…New York has to spend a million bucks on a PSA that essentially says the same thing and will have about the same effect. ;)

I remember doing that.  Also remember all the fallout shelter signs on buildings.

Growing up on RCAF bases, in the early to late 1950's, we kids knew the drill and our likelihood of survival.

I recall at RCAF Cold Lake, (an Interceptor base flying CF-100's,) a new teacher trying to give us the nuke "Duck & Cover" drill and most of us started to laugh.

She asked why we were laughing about such a serious matter and turned green when we reminded her our base was a prime target and our temp school was right beside the Flight Line and Runways.

She was gone a couple of days later.

60fb206c1d4a17dbc45571b5_Avro-CF-100-Canuck-Mk--5D--RCAF--Serial-Nos--18423-and-18470-.jpeg

I can recall the drills from grade school.  One was under the desks, not dissimilar to the picture Pat posted.  The other was to file down to the basement which was sub grade and sit back against the wall that faced the potential target city, the same one that had the PSA.  A stout old schoolhouse, brick and concrete, but just prolonging the inevitable.  Strange days.  Particularly weird to run this now, they must be desperate,

F.U.D.
A steady diet of this is effective at keeping the sheeple in line.

As to nuclear... my wife and I ask if this is gonna happen, please drop it right on our house.
Neither of us want to survive with Hiroshima injuries.

Home on leave from the USAF, friends asked me if I was afraid of "The Bomb".  I said that at a range of twelve feet or so, if the bomb or the missile went off, it wouldn't be any different from a hand grenade at that range. That was about the distance from the bird to the lower equipment room in a Minuteman I launch facility, where I would be doing alignment work on the guidance system.  That was in the late '60's.  I think #6 and #7 in Pat Riot's list was about right. :rolleyes:

As I grew up in PA all the older schools were CD Fallout Shelters. When I lived in Georgia, Alabama, New Mexico and Arkansas for a short period(we moved a lot) the schools were not Fallout Shelters. 
When we moved back to PA 3 of the 5 high schools I went to were Fallout Shelters. 
I remember the duck and cover drills and the drills where we hustled to the basements. The one time the town blasted their Civil Defense sirens when I was in 5th grade seemed like the real thing. Scared the hell out of us. Mostly because if it was for real we’d have to deal with Mrs. Thistlewaite, Mrs. Clark and Mr. Blue for an extended period. :lol:
It was just a drill, but it sure was scary. 

After being in the Navy and learning the realities of life after nukes I anyways managed to find places to live that were assured to be first strike locations. 
I like being prepared for most anything, but I don’t want to live after nukes get popped all over the place. 
The crap you read in prepper books is exactly that, Crap! 

The most amusing part of this is the current military strategy on nuclear weapons is small tactical nukes for local attack and high altitude detonation creating an Electromagnetic Pulse. That fries electronics and without power, water, sewage treatment, food production and shipping gone, the population dwindles by 80 - 90 % and they are so weak they are no threat. The buildings, land are not polluted with fallout, allowing the aggressor to walk in and take over within a year.

1 hour ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

The most amusing part of this is the current military strategy on nuclear weapons is small tactical nukes for local attack and high altitude detonation creating an Electromagnetic Pulse. That fries electronics and without power, water, sewage treatment, food production and shipping gone, the population dwindles by 80 - 90 % and they are so weak they are no threat. The buildings, land are not polluted with fallout, allowing the aggressor to walk in and take over within a year.

You are under the mistaken impression that any use of Nucs would be limited to one side. 

They don't call it MUTUALLY ASSURED DESTRUCTION for nothing.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

You are under the mistaken impression that any use of Nucs would be limited to one side. 

They don't call it MUTUALLY ASSURED DESTRUCTION for nothing.

You ASSUME I am under mistaken impression only one side would use nukes.  Nowhere did I so state,. only one side would use them.  I stated that it is current military thinking that the use I described would work best.  What I did not say is that the first to use them would set the mode of delivery.  Retaliation by any side would not be minimal structure damage.  It would be total expenditure of munitions.

10 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

And then there’s this…

My school still had those exact same desks, mid '70s.

We only did fire drills, but the CD shelter signs were around.

Being brought up during the "cold war" in Florida was different than many other places, especially with a communist country just a 100 miles away.

I don't remember much about the Cuban Missile Crisis. Too young, I guess. All that I remember is the constant sonic booms from the jets flying overhead. Those booms continued well after the "crisis" was averted.

The Civil Defense posters, ads and commercials seemed like they were everywhere up until the late 60's. The signs for the defense shelters were still prominent even into 70's. As a kid, We saw the PSA commercials with the turtle (and others) but we really didn't worry about nuclear war...we were kids, we lived in Florida, on the Gulf Coast, we had no worries.

Fast forward to now. No illusions, live fifteen miles away from MacDill AFB. I hope they miss by a few miles...instant vaporization. 

Otherwise, I don't worry about it. 

Does New York know something we don't

That’ll be the day! :lol:

6 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Being brought up during the "cold war" in Florida was different than many other places, especially with a communist country just a 100 miles away.

I don't remember much about the Cuban Missile Crisis. Too young, I guess. All that I remember is the constant sonic booms from the jets flying overhead. Those booms continued well after the "crisis" was averted.

The Civil Defense posters, ads and commercials seemed like they were everywhere up until the late 60's. The signs for the defense shelters were still prominent even into 70's. As a kid, We saw the PSA commercials with the turtle (and others) but we really didn't worry about nuclear war...we were kids, we lived in Florida, on the Gulf Coast, we had no worries.

Fast forward to now. No illusions, live fifteen miles away from MacDill AFB. I hope they miss by a few miles...instant vaporization. 

Otherwise, I don't worry about it. 

I remember the Cuban Missile Crisis well. I was about 13.

We lived southwest of Miami. My grandfather was DCO of the 435th Troop Carrier Wing, an Air Force Reserve unit based at Homestead AFB. He was on alert and down at the base for a week or so. Grandma was not happy. I remember seeing the Hawk anti-aircraft batteries set up in the tomato and bean fields of of US 27. We were stockpiling canned goods. 

Mostly I remember the look on my dad’s face when he watched the news. Dad was a WWII army Air Force vet, as was grandpa. Scary uncertain times.

We've got Cleveland to our east.
Nuclear power plant to the west.
Youngstown, former steel producer, to the southeast.
Russia will obliterate an entire acre with artillery to get one sniper; they dedicate mucho overkill nukes per target.

Their accuracy is not that great, but with a nuke, precision isn't that important, especially when you're landing several on the same target.
I can see a lesser nation, such as a bad actor from the Middle East, or maybe North Korea, flipping an EMP over us, but if it's either of the major com-bloc players, I will be standing unharmed, looking around with surprise, at least until I realize that I am now become a disembodied spirit and what's left of my earthly carcass is blown as radioactive dust at least a mile downwind.

1 hour ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

We've got Cleveland to our east.
Nuclear power plant to the west.
Youngstown, former steel producer, to the southeast.
Russia will obliterate an entire acre with artillery to get one sniper; they dedicate mucho overkill nukes per target.

Their accuracy is not that great, but with a nuke, precision isn't that important, especially when you're landing several on the same target.
I can see a lesser nation, such as a bad actor from the Middle East, or maybe North Korea, flipping an EMP over us, but if it's either of the major com-bloc players, I will be standing unharmed, looking around with surprise, at least until I realize that I am now become a disembodied spirit and what's left of my earthly carcass is blown as radioactive dust at least a mile downwind.

No targets within a huge radius. I will retreat to my literal man cave.

Then emerge to a new dawn and say, “ Dang! I wish I had lived at ground zero”

My mantra is don't worry about things you can't change.  Hard of course, but a bad hailstorm or a Wildfire are higher on my list than a Nuclear Holocaust.  Notwithstanding my mantra, I worry about the first two and what the current Regime is doing to our country.  At least I can vote on the last and have some slim chance of making a difference, or maybe not. 

Archived