SASS Wire Forum

Hiking the Cotswolds?

The Cotswolds are an area of England that have intrigued me and my wife ever since our first visit to the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotswolds

We’d like to go back and do a walking tour of the area, staying at inns and enjoying the beautiful local scenery.

Has anyone ever done this trip?  Are there any UK pards who could offer insight or guidance about how to not act like a tourist?

As always, the Saloon’s help is much appreciated.

How delightful.
They film Agatha Raisin and the Midsommer Murders there.

I understand it is beautiful, crowded and pricey.

You will always be pegged as a tourist at first sight.
Good manners are always appreciated.

Dress like the locals and keep your mouth shut. It usually works for me. ;)

Though my several experiences are decades old, I found Great Britain to be extraordinarily friendly.  As noted, be polite. Dress simply, and I found Western Boots to be a conversation starter.  Don't leave cash on the bar at a pub, ask for the Loo or the Gents when in need.  There are many other linguistic catches, just soak it all in. If possible spend some time in the same area and pick a Pub you like as your Local.  I would tour in working hours circle back to the Pub after.  Made a few friends that held trip to trip.

It's a great idea, and I'm sure you can find many resources on the internet that can help you set it up. We've walked the footpaths around Painswick, Stroud, and other Cotswold locations, but just on a day-hike basis.

Essentially the English system is that while most rural properties are private, the pathways over them are of ancient provenance and are public rights-of-way. The area has lots of B&Bs and country inns. I am virtually certain that you will find packages or suggestions that fit exactly what you are thinking about.

Don't worry about the 'tourist' bit or anything else. Totally not a problem. We've been to the UK many, many times and it's always great for the American visitor, especially the kind, like you, who get out there and exert yourself a bit!

There's not a moment to waste! Go for it....

2 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

It's a great idea, and I'm sure you can find many resources on the internet that can help you set it up. We've walked the footpaths around Painswick, Stroud, and other Cotswold locations, but just on a day-hike basis.

Essentially the English system is that while most rural properties are private, the pathways over them are of ancient provenance and are public rights-of-way. The area has lots of B&Bs and country inns. I am virtually certain that you will find packages or suggestions that fit exactly what you are thinking about.

Don't worry about the 'tourist' bit or anything else. Totally not a problem. We've been to the UK many, many times and it's always great for the American visitor, especially the kind, like you, who get out there and exert yourselves a bit!

There's not a moment to waste! Go for it....

Don't know how that double-tap happened...

Archived