SASS Wire Forum

Perdersoli vs Uberti vs Miroku vs Chiappa

Cholla

I am toying with the idea of getting a reproduction Winchester 1886. It is my impression Perdersoli is top notch. I think my Miroku 1873 is well made. I like my Uberti 1873 well enough. I have never had a Chiappa.

Experiences?

Side note: I noticed several Miroku 1886 rifles have Black Powder Only on them. That seems odd as the action can easily handle smokeless and it was the barrel that Winchester changed in going to smokeless.

Those are all manufacturers. Sometimes there is confusion about manufacturers and importers.  As far as I know, they are all high quality.  I have owned guns of all of those 

manufacturers.

Horace

I've handled several Pedersoli 86/71 models and they were all seemingly flawless. Very excellent workmanship, fit and finish, color and wood, and with an impressively smooth factory action.

I am waiting to compare the Miroku Winchester '86 to these. Be several more weeks before I can personally handle one of the 5 the store has for sale. (Gotta travel 850 miles to  get there...). I do like the Miroku's 24" barrel the Pedersoli's shorter.

Both look quite excellent. For the price the Winchester better be tip top to compare to the Pedersoli.

Had I a preference I'd get both of them were the money available. I'd hunt with the 86/71 and use the Miroku '86 for long range sidematch.

I'm sure either would be an excellent choice in big bore.

I have Taylor's and Cimarron Uberti pistol caliber rifles and I see no real difference between the two, both importations always look and run extremely well. 

Chiappa? I've only handled their 1887 lever shotgun. It's quite nice but I cannot speak for any rifles they may have.

I had two Miroku 1886s.  One was a carbine with a shotgun butt plate and the other, a rifle, with a crescent butt plate.  The carbine was a tack driver at 100 yards and the rifle was a high grade model with factory engraving and nice wood, but not quite as accurate as the carbine.  I believe the '86s marketed as Ubertis are made by Pedersoli.  They look to be well made.

I have a Chiappa 92.   Assuming similar quality for their 86's, I don't think you can go wrong with them.  Good to go right out of the box, and they are of comparable quality to a real Winchester made in New Haven back in the day.

And speaking of real Winchesters, that's what my own 86 is.   Be prepared to pay more for one if you wanna go that route, but if you look long and hard enough, you can get one in good shooting condition for a reasonable price, even in .45-70.

The  only 1886 that I currently have is a Winchester made in 1897 with a factory letter.  Not a collector because it has been reblued and some point, but a nice shooter.

Horace

IMO, the Browning 1886 by Miroku is the creme de la creme of reproduction 1886s.

I have the following Miroku made rifles, a 92, 1886, 1885, 94, 1895, and two 1873s. Some with the Browning name, and some with the Winchester name on them. All of them are well made rifles. I have used the 1886 for deer hunting and took a nice buck with it. The 1873s are both in .357 mag and are currently my main rifles for shoots.

19 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

I've handled several Pedersoli 86/71 models and they were all seemingly flawless. Very excellent workmanship, fit and finish, color and wood, and with an impressively smooth factory action.

The Pedersoli 1886 is different to the 86/71 series. The 86 Sporting rifle has a 26" barrel.

https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/en/products/model-8671-lever-action

https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/en/product/1886-lever-action-sporting

Archived