SASS Wire Forum

Magnum vs. Non-Magnum

German Jim

About 2/10's of a grain difference in powder to get the same result.

Since we don't go near max loads, they are safe.

In some cases the mag primers are just a little more difficult to work as to hammer strength.  So if you are set for very light hammer, you may need to slightly increase it.

26 minutes ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

About 2/10's of a grain difference in powder to get the same result.

I'm not sure I'm tracking you on this. It's probably just me, but could you explain just a touch more?

No difference I can tell.

Personally I use magnums all the time because when the community organizer was in charge that was all that was available.

Never saw any reason to change back to standards since the magnums worked just fine.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

When using powder that is cold temperature sensitive (actually less sensitive),  a magnum primer will give more consistent

and complete burn of your powder.

When I talked with a couple primer manufacturer reps a few years back, both of them told me that magnum primers

initiated a LONGER lasting flash to help ensure a more complete powder burn.

They stated that the magnum primer WAS NOT hotter, but rather longer burning.

Personally, when I used CLAY powder in my pistols with standard Federal primers, I got inconsistent burning of my powder and erratic

performance of my reloads.

When I switched to Federal MAGNUM primers, I started getting consistent performance from my reloads.

All of this was cold weather results.     I couldn't tell any difference in either primer performance during the summer months here in E.TN.

..........Widder

I've used Fed 150s and Fed 155s pretty much interchangeably for years now. No discernible difference in my 45 Colts. 

10 hours ago, Hendo said:

I'm not sure I'm tracking you on this. It's probably just me, but could you explain just a touch more?

If you change from standard to magnum, you will get the same velocity if you decrease the load by about 2/10 of a grain - that is assuming that your load is not so light that the reduction will lead to inconsistency.

So generally, you will not notice a difference between the two.  But as mentioned, you may get more consistency, especially in colder weather, as others have mentioned. 

But many have said that with their tuned guns, the magnums were not quite as reliably in firing.

40 minutes ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

many have said that with their tuned guns, the magnums were not quite as reliably in firing.

I agree.

I've talked with a number of shooters, including myself, who had to increase hammer spring force a small amount to avoid failures with Federal magnum primers -- for both pistols and rifles. 

How much increase?

I have gone from 15# to 18# springs in my NMVs, mostly to reduce lock time. With the 18#  springs, my primer failures disappeared.  Previously I had to wrap around at least once or twice in every 5 stage match. 

My wife was shooting 13# in her SS .32 mags, and had fairly frequent primer det. failures.  With 15# springs, her problem disappeared.  

So we are talking about fairly small spring force increases in the pistols.

The rifle is  harder to quantify.  I had to tighten my hammer spring tension noticeably (maybe 20%) with my Uberti '73 (.357 cal) to get reliable primer detonations.  But timing and pilot error  are such a big factor on rifle primer function that It is difficult to know for sure how much more force was required.  

German Jim,

There's lots of great advice here. Personally I've used magnum and standard primers interchangeably in Cowboy and WB.

Slo Mo and I have had no issues with magnum primers in our tuned Shotgun Boogie Vaquero's.

With your full house BP loads in your Colts, you shouldn't have any issues.

Tully

Widder pretty much covered it.  I try to use Magnum primers whenever I can.  

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

1512234863_OldPrimersAug2020.jpg.39472e3fe4713404b8a3f3c0769aa7d2.jpg

I've used Winchester primers for 50 years. No problems. No confusion. 

$1.20/Hundred!!!  When did you get those?  When central fire cartridges were invented. :lol:

The only problem the wife and I have experienced with Federal Small Magnum pistol primers have been with her Ruger Single Six .32 mags.  She has had failure to fire problems with the way her pistols are set up now.  I have enough regular Federal Small Pistol Primers for her.  If my supply gets depleted, I will change her hammer springs.

The Federal magnums run fine in our 1873 rifles and my Pietta .357s. 

I can’t tell any difference at all!  They cost more I do believe,  so I think we’re being hoodwinked!

On 7/14/2022 at 10:54 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

When using powder that is cold temperature sensitive (actually less sensitive),  a magnum primer will give more consistent

and complete burn of your powder.

When I talked with a couple primer manufacturer reps a few years back, both of them told me that magnum primers

initiated a LONGER lasting flash to help ensure a more complete powder burn.

They stated that the magnum primer WAS NOT hotter, but rather longer burning.

Personally, when I used CLAY powder in my pistols with standard Federal primers, I got inconsistent burning of my powder and erratic

performance of my reloads.

When I switched to Federal MAGNUM primers, I started getting consistent performance from my reloads.

All of this was cold weather results.     I couldn't tell any difference in either primer performance during the summer months here in E.TN.

..........Widder

Same for me. 

Federal Magnum is my preferred primer. 

Will shoot the regular primers in the summertime.

But cooler to cold weather it's magnums only.

I also agree with what Widder said. My chronograph can’t tell any difference till it gets below 50 degrees and then I start to see more consistency between shots using the magnum primers. 

I also prefer the magnum primers when using black powder subs like 777. 

On 7/17/2022 at 6:34 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I can’t tell any difference at all!  They cost more I do believe,  so I think we’re being hoodwinked!

I was thinking hornswoggled but I'm not sure what that word means anymore. :D

12 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

I was thinking hornswoggled but I'm not sure what that word means anymore. :D

Hornswoggled fits perfect!!

Just replaced original springs with Wolf hammer 17lb and trigger 30lb in my 96' Bisley Vaquero 44 Mag.  I guess when I take her our for a spin boys, I will find out if she;s gonna hunt and do her job.  I will be shooting jacketed ammo as lead BP is far and few inbetween, these days.  I have noticed that when I pull the trigger it seems to not drag when released but like it hangs and goes thru a reset configuration.  I rechecked the install and could find no hiccup.  That lightened spring strength is noticeable.  Maybe it will smooth out with time.  Also the shortage of BP ammo especially in my 44 - 4o Win makes me want to spit.  Reloading will be a totally new game for me.  I am looking at a Load-Master Reloading Press by Lee.  I am sure it is not top of the line but cost and available add On's looks inviting.  My main thought is longevity and functionality.   If I could only find some brass?  Comments welcomed.image.thumb.jpeg.4beba473cd573c557cee42ccdf9d01aa.jpeg

If you have certain loads that you have done before, they may not work as well with the more powerful primer in place. More importantly however, don't stick a magnum primer in there if you are at max or near max with your load.

Honestly, the best way to handle this is to start all over with starting loads and your new magnum primers.

And for the record, it doesn't have to be a "magnum" caliber to utilize a magnum primer, and a "magnum" caliber doesn't necessarily require a magnum primer. Where primers are concerned, magnum means that it burns hotter for longer.
Where cartridges and calibers are concerned, "magnum" is nothing more than a name applied to it for marketability. We recognize a "magnum" round as one that is faster, heavier or more powerful than a similar one (or one it was based off of), but "magnum" in a caliber name is nothing more than a catchy name designed to attract buyers.

Archived