SASS Wire Forum

Powder Vultures

Buckshot Bear

Powder has dried up drastically here in Australia and the vulture/scalpers are out and looking in their dark recesses of their sheds etc for any powder that they can gouge their fellow Aussie shooters out of $$$ for .....here's just a small selection of ads worst I've seen is Trailboss at $1500.....it still sold within an hour :(  -

1.JPG.e990267988b66dd2a32b51f389be859d.JPG

2.JPG.cc8df0d18c1ea79e61810cff5dcc1130.JPG

3.JPG.3e0376ade00cd5de2886bafcfc757b99.JPG

4.JPG.04b911f06a752348b6499ed0049dee27.JPG

5.JPG.fe9d27a486a26646730c1f1ac6a68977.JPG

6.JPG.72e3589926ab4c4d63de5bc3632751ad.JPG

7.JPG.b4bbf68b2498612db98fe264a2760877.JPG

8.JPG.b3bf1e752dc04c94b0c7f3232714a8d0.JPG

What some pistol shooters are doing who have run short is buying case of 12ga –

@ $110.00

Dismantling the shells for approximately 18gr of powder per shell –

= 4,500 grs of powder

Which roughly at 3.5 gr per pistol round (worked up using a crony for 38/357) –

= 1,285 rounds

I've got some time before I'm in that predicament ...... hopefully powder starts flowing way before I have to do that. 

1 minute ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Can y'all get BP there?

There's dribs and drabs but its starting to dry up as well and there's price gouging going on there with people selling it online used gun sites for exorbitant prices.

Some guys I think are getting it through fella's with powder monkey licences, not sure if its FFFG though. 

2 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

There's dribs and drabs but its starting to dry up as well and there's price gouging going on there with people selling it online used gun sites for exorbitant prices.

Some guys I think are getting it through fella's with powder monkey licences, not sure if its FFFG though. 

There is a bit of fireworks powder coming in the market. I forget the actual rating but its pretty close to 3F and a few of the BP target pistol shooters have been using it for years as it was a fair bit cheaper (back then).

I just saw some 2205 for sale at $150 and that's not too much worse than what the GS were charging at the end of its availability. I have asked him for two containers but haven't heard back?

1 minute ago, Major Crimes said:

There is a bit of fireworks powder coming in the market. I forget the actual rating but its pretty close to 3F and a few of the BP target pistol shooters have been using it for years as it was a fair bit cheaper (back then).

I just saw some 2205 for sale at $150 and that's not too much worse than what the GS were charging at the end of its availability. I have asked him for two containers but haven't heard back?

I saw that 2205 as well, nice to see that there is someone still decent....hope you get it MC. 

25 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I saw that 2205 as well, nice to see that there is someone still decent....hope you get it MC. 

The fireworks powder is 5FA its roughly 3F equivalent. 

Still a fair bit of black powder around, but you won't see smokeless for at least 5 years.

They turned back the last powder ship about a month ago coming to australia because it had a Russian crew for Gods sake.

ADI are only making rifle powder and have stated they won't be making pistol powder until they have built up 2 years worth of rifle powder.???

So cut down your stages and buy some 22s..:(

I just bought 75 boxes of mostly factory loaded shells at an estate sale. It is mostly duck and goose ammo but it has lead shot so no go for hunting in California. I was going to break it down for the shot, be nice to save the powder too but difficult to tell what it is exactly.

6 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Can y'all get BP there?

Swiss & Wano BP  have arrived  - the last shipments ..Goex has  been unavailable for a long time. Prices are now  between $140- $ 180 per kg [ = 2.2 lb ]

You can get cracker powder for $ 55 - $ 80 per kg..it works fine for Cowboy. The shit is really starting to hit the fan, the powder & primer gouges are nothing but a'oles !!

8 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

I just bought 75 boxes of mostly factory loaded shells at an estate sale. It is mostly duck and goose ammo but it has lead shot so no go for hunting in California. I was going to break it down for the shot, be nice to save the powder too but difficult to tell what it is exactly.

Most any shotgun powder would work nicely at SASS loading levels.  Nowhere near as good as BP but keeps a guy shooting.

One small bright spot.  A guy who has been importing and selling plated bullets (mainly to IPSC/Service match type shooters) has received his Powder Importation license and has his first shipment of European powder on the way.  Its only about 500kg and he is giving "first dibs" to people who have already been regular customers of his (fair enough I say)   If he can get that supply flowing then at least SOME powder will be coming in. 

As to those prices.  Are people ACTUALLY paying that?   I wonder.  Or are those folks advertising at THOSE prices.. SAYING it sold...and then in due course offering it at a lower-but-still-rip off price that SEEMS OK because of those original ads?  I'm sceptical...   Then again..as someone has already mentioned P.T. Barnum.....   who knows?

58 minutes ago, Constable Nelson #11784 said:

One small bright spot.  A guy who has been importing and selling plated bullets (mainly to IPSC/Service match type shooters) has received his Powder Importation license and has his first shipment of European powder on the way.  Its only about 500kg and he is giving "first dibs" to people who have already been regular customers of his (fair enough I say)   If he can get that supply flowing then at least SOME powder will be coming in. 

As to those prices.  Are people ACTUALLY paying that?   I wonder.  Or are those folks advertising at THOSE prices.. SAYING it sold...and then in due course offering it at a lower-but-still-rip off price that SEEMS OK because of those original ads?  I'm sceptical...   Then again..as someone has already mentioned P.T. Barnum.....   who knows?

I know who you mean and I'm rootin' for him and hope it pays off big time for him and he can order much larger quantities after this trial. 

Archived