SASS Wire Forum

Coach Gun Ammo Question

Hayfever Hart, 112539

Legal - yep.  Powerful enough - yep.  BUT - Many pards find them rather awkward to load quick from shotgun belts.  Better practice.

And, there's better, softer recoil shells in the standard 2 3/4" 12 gauge ammo.

good luck, GJ

• 2 weeks later...

The Aguila 1 5/8" mini shells are 5/8 oz shot at 1200 fps, compared to 2 3/4" Winchester AA12FL8 low noise/low recoil loads with 7/8 oz shot at 980 fps. Felt recoil is reduced even more because the buffer/compression section of the AA wad is considerably longer than in the mini shells. In better times, the Winchesters were available from a variety of sources - Scheels, Cabelas, Sportsman's Warehouse, Walmart, etc., but in these times, they are where they are.

PLUS ONE for Garrison Joe and Three Foot.

Aguila Mini Shells are a poor choice.  Stout load and NO cushion wad.  Intended for hunting and breaking Clays.  Winchester, Remington and Federal offer light recoil ammunition better suited.  Shop around. 

Federal low recoil and winchester  featherlite both yield around 900-980 velocity, you will have to  look around for both. They  sell out as fast as they are put on the shelves. Shorter  shells are harder to slide/guide into the chambers on the clock. If you can find them get as many as  possible, even if you don't need them.

Rafe 

Winchester Low Noise Low Recoil Shells

Federal Metro Shells

B&P 2.5" low pressure shells

But, because all of these can be hard to find (especially now), folks wanting low recoil shotgun shells LOAD THEM.   We've got tons of folks with good recipes for 3/4 and 7/8 and 1 ounce shot only traveling 900 FPS or so. 

If you are seriously needing low recoil, I'd STRONGLY suggest you get a shotshell loader and use it.

good luck, GJ

Anyone have a low recoil load for 12 gauge? I have clays, wst, and tightgroup. Going to be a few more months before I go back to shooting, recovering from major shoulder reconstruction but don't want to beat the check out of it when I start back.

Thanks

Rafe

7 minutes ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

Anyone have a low recoil load for 12 gauge? I have clays, west, and tightgroup.

West = WST?

12 gauge Rem hulls, 15 grains clays, CB1078 wad (gray) or CB1100 (pink), 7/8 ounce shot  - works for me.  Just about any primer, but Cheddites will work.  Not a high pressure load.   Choose between those 2 wads to give you the crimps that you like.

WST is a poor choice for light loads, it likes to be running 1 ounce + loads at clay target speeds.

TiteGroup works.  Just the load data is much scarcer, but there is some is around for low recoil loads.

good luck, GJ

10 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

...WST is a poor choice for light loads, it likes to be running 1 ounce + loads at clay target speeds....

I'm using 15.0 WST , 7/8 oz in gray wad.  Friend of mine using less, about 12gr WST, with 7/8 oz.  Both are great!

Glad it works for you!  Some folks have more tolerance for unburned powder granules in the action and barrel than I do.  

And WST is denser than the flake powders like Clays and the Alliant Dot powders.  So you sometimes don't get a great crimp - it sinks in center.

GJ

I must correct myself, my friend is not using WST in his shotshells.  But like I said, my 15.0 gr WST have been fine, just looked down the bore and in the action of the '97 I've been shooting and no unburned powder at all.  Now, I don't know if the hot as hades weather here has anything to do with that.

Archived