SASS Wire Forum

Spurs

Alpo

Leave us say that you wear spurs on your boots.

When you were removing your boots, do you take the spurs off first? Or do you leave the spurs on all the time, putting the boots on and taking them off with the spurs still strapped on?

668399047_IMG_20220713_2028499412.thumb.jpg.55ab329b9ad01c3d8081265d886402cb.jpg

Rio Bravo, and as you can see the sheriff is putting his boots on and they have the spurs on them already.

Never having worn them, I just kind of assumed that they were put on after the boots. Like you put your coat on after you put your shirt on. You don't have your shirt sleeves pushed down inside your coat sleeves and put them both on at the same time.

Depends. I’ve seen Bull rider wire them on.

I always take my spurs off first, then use a boot jack for the boot itself.

2 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

.... have you still got them ?  :huh:

His first pair of spurs had Bill Sherman’s name on them. :lol:

I leave the spurs on the boots, but I only wear them for CAS, I am not riding horses.

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

Like you put your coat on after you put your shirt on. You don't have your shirt sleeves pushed down inside your coat sleeves and put them both on at the same time.

I also leave the belt in the trousers until they go into the washing machine which seems to be a better analogy ;)

The spurs stay on as RS stated they help in removal of the boot.  The bigger question is buckle to the inside or outside. I was told the buckle should be to the outside as the horse would prefer it that way. 

Gringo

I used to leave them on the boots, don't wear 'em anymore though.

It never crossed my mind to leave the spurs on the boots.   I always take them off before taking my boots off.  Then again, I tend to wear my boots on days I am not shooting.  Although it might be fun to run into the store for a gallon of milk wearing spurs. 

Spurs remain on the boots all of the time, unless the owner of the pick up has a "Spurs Off in the Cab " rule or the lady requires them off in the house. My riding boots and my CAS Classic Cowboy boots use the same spurs. So on occasion they do come off only to relocate to another pair of boots.  Most of us are just too dang lazy to take them off......

Boots and Spurs. Cowboy boots and spurs resting on a split rail fence ,  #AD, #Cowboy, #boots, #Boots, #Spurs, #spurs… | Cowboy boots, Old cowboy  boots, Cowboy spurs

10 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

His first pair of spurs had Bill Sherman’s name on them. :lol:

Better'n Autie Custer.

On the other hand, it wouldn't have surprised me if they had Pappenheim' signature on them.:rolleyes:

We are dealing with Forty, after all.:P

The real answer to Alpo's question , it depends on the boot-wearer. Some take 'em off , some leave 'em on. That simple.

Rex:D , who wore buckles on the outside , back in the day, and took the spurs off most of the time.:lol:

59 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Spurs that screw into the heel are meant to stay on permanently.  

Boot heel, or your heel?

And Pards don't forget the Cardinal rule:

"DON'T SQUAT WHEN YOU GOT YER SPURS ON!!"

8 hours ago, El diablo gringo said:

The spurs stay on as RS stated they help in removal of the boot.  The bigger question is buckle to the inside or outside. I was told the buckle should be to the outside as the horse would prefer it that way. 

Gringo

.......... horse ??   :huh:

20 hours ago, Alpo said:

668399047_IMG_20220713_2028499412.thumb.jpg.55ab329b9ad01c3d8081265d886402cb.jpg

Rio Bravo...

Love the movie but never could figger why the Sheriff wore spurs in town.

20 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I always take my spurs off first, then use a boot jack for the boot itself.

Don’t have a horse so don’t need spurs 

3 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Love the movie but never could figger why the Sheriff wore spurs in town.

I give you a better one. Was watching Rio Lobo tonight. The French/Mexican came downstairs in the middle of a gunfight. Wearing a union suit and a leather pullover shirt. He had a hooker in his bed.

To make use of the hooker he would have to take off the union suit, which would require him to remove the leather pullover shirt. So why did he have all that stuff on when he ran downstairs to shoot the bad guy?

But I also wondered about why he had spurs on if he spent all his time walking around town.

7 hours ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

Take them off  , I dont wear 100 dollar boots and you dont need spurs except when riding , like wearing a suit to swimming hole .  Different spurs depending on situation 23 degree  , 30 degree twisted shank  . Locked rowel ect

....... but I do wear a suit to a swimming hole ......... either swimsuit or birthdaysuit ........   depending on the company .....   :blush:

4 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

....... but I do wear a suit to a swimming hole ......... either swimsuit or birthdaysuit ........   depending on the company .....   :blush:

I think after 8 years in combat the vision you just put in my head scared my brain for life :)

On 7/14/2022 at 4:46 AM, El diablo gringo said:

Gringo

If you ride bareback with spurs on they might contact the horse otherwise they are inside of the stirrup

I like  to keep my gear clean, so spurs/straps come off first for cleaning and then boots (which also get a rinse down as a minimum).  I guess if I had bought cheap gear, I wouldn't bother, but I bought pretty expensive footware and spurs/straps and want to keep them looking good. 

Archived