SASS Wire Forum

Dollar stores

Utah Bob #35998

Dove Creek has a population of about 600. The high school plays 8 man football. Not enough students for a marching band.
They put in a Family dollar on the west end of town a couple of years ago. 
Now there is a Dollar General going in on the east side of town about a mile away. We are turning into a dang megalopolis!
Pretty sure we could get half the town residents in one store and half in the other. :lol:

7 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Dove Creek has a population of about 600. They put in a Family dollar on the west end of town a couple of years ago. 
Now there is a Dollar General going in on the east side of town about a mile away. We are turning into a dang megalopolis!
Pretty sure we could get half the town residents in one store and half in the other. :lol:

Have to widen the street for when folks want to compare prices.

Just now, Cypress Sun said:

If the town can somehow wrangle up a Home Depot, Lowes will build directly across the street.:mellow:

Or a Burger King and McDonalds. :lol:

8 minutes ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

You misspelled China store , DG is China owned .

I’ll alert the local media. Oops, we don’t have any. :lol:

22 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

If the town can somehow wrangle up a Home Depot, Lowes will build directly across the street.:mellow:

Not necessarily. Our town came up with a Lowe's, and Home Depot built directly across the street. :P

12 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Old experience, but a big Mall at the edge of a thriving Mid Western City killed most of Main Street in a couple of years.  

No chance of a mall being built here. Or pretty much anywhere these days. They’re talking about converting abandoned malls into apartment complexes up in Denver. Our Main Street consists of two gas stations, the dollar store, feed store, bank, diner and barber shop. 
It makes Mayberry look like Manhattan. :lol:

9 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

No chance of a mall being built here. Or pretty much anywhere these days. They’re talking about converting abandoned malls into apartment complexes up in Denver. Our Main Street consists of two gas stations, the dollar store, feed store, bank, diner and barber shop. 

Yeah, well!  We have a post office and the Town dump, the end.  Ex. some chicanery before the turn of the century (the previous one to this last) should have been the county seat!

A DG opened here in beautiful downtown Lebanon, OK a couple of years ago.  Very often saves us a minimum 15 mile drive to get food and stuff.  No, they don’t have big selections, but they usually have what we want.

0AE4CA5F-3DF5-4F6D-B99C-80DAF6B4D771.jpeg

These Dollar Stores are becoming the "General Stores" of a time long ago. I see them in my travels in small towns, in the farming country next to a gas station sometimes in the middle of nowhere. Unincorporated towns also. Towns of populations of only 150.  In these small towns I see old pickup trucks with farmers sitting on tailgates conversing. 

They are also in these small communities, the only business operating.

11 hours ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

You misspelled China store , DG is China owned .

DG is an American company with central offices in Nashville Tennessee!!  I happen to be acquainted with a couple of the owners. 

That crap is just like the meme that Target is owned by the French.

10 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The big malls are dying out!! One of the first ones built in Nashville is now mostly medical facilities for Vanderbilt University Medical and the city and a couple other entities have bought the last one built here. They plan to do the same thing with it. There are just a few chain businesses still operating in either of them. Companies like Sketchers shoes and a travel agency are doing pretty well.  I think I heard that the most recent one will include a city operated ice rink.

On a recent trip to the Chattanooga TN area, I commented to the wife that I could nearly hold my breath between Dollar General locations while driving.  They averaged about 5 to 7 miles apart. 

14 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I’ll alert the local media. Oops, we don’t have any. :lol:

Sure you do....the Free Press, now there is a newspaper. Printed monthly, so most of it is way out of date.

DG and Dollar Tree are the "walmart" of lots of small towns here in the Midwest.  We have 5 DG and a $1 tree in my town of Sedalia.   We have a pop. Of a little over 20k.  I go to DG,  4 blocks from the house, for OTC medicine to paper products.  Small parking lot, lots of brand names and many prices less than walmart--which is also here.  They all seem to be thriving.

35 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I don't know about their corporate offices, but around here, at least, the individual stores are privately owned.

I think that they are that way around here in Pinellas Co., Fl. 

The Ace Hardware stores in both Dunedin and mid-Largo have some interesting things that aren't normally found in most "home improvement" stores any more. 

3 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

The big malls are dying out!! One of the first ones built in Nashville is now mostly medical facilities for Vanderbilt University Medical and the city and a couple other entities have bought the last one built here. They plan to do the same thing with it. There are just a few chain businesses still operating in either of them. Companies like Sketchers shoes and a travel agency are doing pretty well.  I think I heard that the most recent one will include a city operated ice rink.

Most of the big walk around inside to get to the business desired type malls around here have closed. They got torn down and rebuilt as walk around outside (or drive) to get to the business desired. Either that or got turned into "stick building" apartments that are WAY overpriced.

24 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I think that they are that way around here in Pinellas Co., Fl. 

The Ace Hardware stores in both Dunedin and mid-Largo have some interesting things that aren't normally found in most "home improvement" stores any more. 

Several of them around here sell ammo. And not just 9mm and 5.56. When you could GET ammo, one of them had a HUGE display and variety. One of them, said to be the largest Ace Hardware in the country, has a very large housewares section, a hobby shop. They also have a bunch of helicopter ceiling fans in the store. Kind of like this:

helicopter%2Bceiling%2Bfan.jpg

Well, ours aren't THAT interesting, dang it.

We did used to have a store, actually it was a city block building, called Webb City. It featured everything from the live tightrope walking chicken for a nickel to firearms. I still have a 50 round box of .22lr with a price tag of $0.16 around here somewhere. Webb City was something to see when I was a kid.

1 hour ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Several of them around here sell ammo. And not just 9mm and 5.56. When you could GET ammo, one of them had a HUGE display and variety. One of them, said to be the largest Ace Hardware in the country, has a very large housewares section, a hobby shop. They also have a bunch of helicopter ceiling fans in the store. Kind of like this:

helicopter%2Bceiling%2Bfan.jpg

The little hardware store in Dove Creek and the Ace in Cortez both sell ammo…..

and the guns to go with it. ;)
The True Value hardware in Cortez used to, but stopped a couple of years ago.

3 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I don't know about their corporate offices, but around here, at least, the individual stores are privately owned.

Yes, they franchise. A friend of mine is partner in one

Interesting.  I noticed one being built in a town in rural northern Michigan. The town probably has less than 100 residents.  There is a town of about 500 people only 10 miles away that also has a Family Dollar store.  I don't even know how they are going to find employees to work there.

They're everywhere in the surrounding towns. I remember 88 cent stores when I was a kid. We'd get big bags of green army men from there. I looked up one of those calculator sites and in 1964 (11 years old) 88 cents would be the same as $8.52 today.

On 7/13/2022 at 5:28 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Dove Creek has a population of about 600. The high school plays 8 man football. Not enough students for a marching band.
They put in a Family dollar on the west end of town a couple of years ago. 

8 man football?!?!?! You Yankees are weird. It's 6 man in small towns here.

JHC ;)

8 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

We did used to have a store, actually it was a city block building, called Webb City. It featured everything from the live tightrope walking chicken for a nickel to firearms. I still have a 50 round box of .22lr with a price tag of $0.16 around here somewhere. Webb City was something to see when I was a kid.

I lived in St. Pete in 1958/59, right at the end of the Gandy bridge on Snug Harbor Rd.  I remember Webb City and the Webb City Outposts. They had almost anything you could imagine. They even had a pet store in the main store!

My dad stood in the bird section of the pet department and taught a big parrot to cuss!   My uncle walked by the cage and the bird called him big and dumb and questioned his legitimacy in my dad’s voice!!  My aunt thought it was the funniest thing she’d ever seen or heard of! My uncle wasn’t amused…

Going to Webb City was a huge thing back then!!

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I lived in St. Pete in 1958/59, right at the end of the Gandy bridge on Snug Harbor Rd.  I remember Webb City and the Webb City Outposts. They had almost anything you could imagine. They even had a pet store in the main store!

My dad stood in the bird section of the pet department and taught a big parrot to cuss!   My uncle walked by the cage and the bird called him big and dumb and questioned his legitimacy in my dad’s voice!!  My aunt thought it was the funniest thing she’d ever seen or heard of! My uncle wasn’t amused…

You wouldn't even recognize that area around Gandy (or most of Pinellas Co.) now. 

Yep, going to Webb City was a big treat back then...still a lot of good memories from going there.

9 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Found them. Had the numbers reversed, it was $0.61 back then...

20220714_221717.jpg

20220714_221800.jpg

20220714_221838.jpg

Archived