SASS Wire Forum

Dillon primer pick-up tube jamming -- Need to replace the tip?

One of my primer pick-up tubes stops/jams after just a few primers.

The others work fine

Do I hafta replace the tip?

Any special things to look for or special techniques for installing the new tip?

I feel silly asking this, but rather ask now than after I screw something up.

Thanks in advance

--Dawg

Yep.  Replace the tip.  Or call Dillon and they will probably send you new Tube.  If you can get thru to them.  Or, let me know if it's a Large Primer Tube or a Small Primer Tube (betting it's a Large) and I'll throw one in my possibles box and bring it with me.  It does sound like there is some Spooge in toobge B)

Pop it off and put it back on.

Most times it's come out of alignment with the tube itself and snags on the side of a primer.

Taking it off and resetting it seems to work for mine.

Sounds like the tip is not fully seated on the tube or there is something inside of the tube jaming up the works.

I had issues getting the tips on both ends to fully seat. If they are not on far enough the gap can allow a primer to not make the transition from the tip to the metal tube.

I used some emory paper and my drill to reduce the OD of the tube till the tips were fully seated but still snug enough not to fall off.

Make sure there is nothing stuck in the tube, Use compressed air and a pipe cleaner to remove any debris.

A short blast of air through the pickup tube helps sometimes...I have a small tipped air nozzle on the end of my shop air hose.  If that doesn't do it then running something down the tube to clean it out would be my next thing to try.

Kajun

I've had the issue on most of my large tubes. Dillon replaced 3 and the problem stayed. It's worse with CCI, usually I get half in and then the jam and difficult to get the bad one back out. Most of the time it appears the primer is out of round as I can see light past 2 sides and not the the ends so to speak. Had one flat (100) of Federal I had to load on the primer punch one at a time due to so many jamming in the tube. Generally I have no issue thank goodness. Changing the tip has done nothing for me so far and I have a bunch of the tips. New and old tubes give me the PIA. 

If the tip is not fully seated it will cause the jamming problem.  As the tips age they seem to get a bit brittle and not remain tight on the tube.  Soetimes a tiny split develops.  Just call Dillon, they will send you some new ones.  

I store my tubes with an AR 15 gas tube cleaner (long pipe cleaner) inserted into them.  That keeps them clean and free of tiny little crawling/flying things.

Blackfoot

21 hours ago, Flying W Ramrod said:

Pop it off and put it back on.

Most times it's come out of alignment with the tube itself and snags on the side of a primer.

Taking it off and resetting it seems to work for mine.

+1

Mine are wicked hard to remove even with pliers or teeth.

3 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Mine are wicked hard to remove even with pliers or teeth.

Sometimes these things can be a bear to get off.  Here is what I do.  Put the tube into a vise and close the jaws to they are not touching the tube but won't allow the plastic tip to pull through.  Stick the tip out about an inch and snap your hand backwards.  The tip should pop right off.  I don't use the tips anymore since I have an old Palvic primer filler and you remove the tip when using the filler.

DSC_0001.jpeg

Archived