SASS Wire Forum

Primers - Remember when...

Matthew Duncan

Remember when you find a primer on the reloading room floor, you'd pick it up and toss it it the trash without hesitation because you didn't want to risk a dud causing you stage time?  Now you get the magnifying glass out for a quick look see and quickly decide the cost made the dud risk worth using the found primer.

Remember when you found a split case after seating a new primer and you'd toss the whole thing in the scrap jug for recycling?  Now you gently use a hand deprimer and cross yourself as you gently remove the primer for reuse.

Remember when you'd drop on primer on the floor and you'd think "BAH I'll sweep it up the next time (if ever) you sweep the floor?  Now you miss your morning and afternoon nap times on your hand and knees trying to find where that little (and expensive) rascal bounced too.

I was hand loading yesterday and a primer got flipped and ended up with a dent on one side.  The anvil looked good  to me so I loaded up the case.   There's another one under my front porch somewhere, but I'm not going to tear it all out to find it; at least not yet. :D

Yeah, we pretty well cant get SPP in Aust at the moment. 

When we could they were $170 per 1K (about $115 USD).

To give you some context our minimum wage is $21.38 an hour ($14.40 USD)

2 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

When I started reloading in about 1999 SPP were $60 for 5000. LPP were $75

I started in 95 and had some Winchester with a 12.95 sticker on the box! Finished them up about 5 years ago ! They were LPP

I picked this box up about 25 years ago in a trade for a bunch of stuff and this was in the box. It is a full box except for one primer that I loaded a couple years ago just to see if they were still good... that are. Years ago a collector at a gun show told me they were from around 1957-1965 and cost $7.00 for the thousand. Not sure how factual that is, but i just keep it on a display shelf with a bunch of old ammo I've collected over the years.20220713_175113.thumb.jpg.69bdfad497ec6531540dc13e9095c039.jpg20220713_175200.thumb.jpg.fe827467985f64ad219746e72b2a6d8f.jpg20220713_175100.thumb.jpg.2ca3ede9f9aa2c8b2db78d94f86c79dd.jpg

In all my years of reloading, I have never "tossed" a live primer or given up on finding one that I dropped. Probably I'm just OCD. A damaged primer that may not work, I put in a case with no power and pop it off.

For the last year and a half, I have been hot gluing CCI 157 primers into 209 Rem STX hulls. Over 40 years old sitting in the barn.

Not a single misfire!

Shooters do wonder where these primers came from on a stage they are picking up my shells when they sometimes come out when they hit the floor. :blush:

Unlike 2k CCI pistol primers I more recently purchased, where I had 1-4 misfires per monthly match. I purchased the last 2k on the shelf when the rush on gun purchases began.

In spite of a P for not shooting the target misfired, I ran all matches as if they all went off. Better than playing the "I wonder if this will go off every time I pulled the trigger game" in my head.

I also shot up 7k of of CCI Green/white box primers, with no misfires. Also sitting out in the barn from 1975.

Anyone have these worthless primers, I'll even buy them off you!

Don't do this... :D

Soak them in oil, and bury them about a foot deep in the ground.

Unless you have some of those old hulls, they won't fit anything else.

I was happy not to throw them in the trash. Y

Obsolete.

1 hour ago, Blast Masterson said:

In spite of a P for not shooting the target misfired,

When you pointed the gun at the target and misfired, you engaged that target. You should not have been given a P for that, only a miss.

I joined Primers Anonymous.

Yes, I've wasted primers in the past. Testing springs with primer only - guilty. Trashing backwards primers - guilty. Not looked for dropped primers - guilty.

Sorry, I didn't know it was a Federal offense.:ph34r:

23 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I joined Primers Anonymous.

Yes, I've wasted primers in the past. Testing springs with primer only - guilty. Trashing backwards primers - guilty. Not looked for dropped primers - guilty.

Sorry, I didn't know it was a Federal offense.:ph34r:

SOMEONE QUICK GET A ROPE, I'LL FIND A TREE!!!:angry:

JEL

Archived