SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 1897

Hawk Eyes Hudson

Looking to do some CAS tune up work on this old 97.  She's in pretty good shape but looking for a gunsmith to give it a good once over.  Any names appreciated.

Winchester 1897.jpg

IMG-1399.jpg

If I lived in Texas, I would probably seek out BoomStick Jay.

As for the 97, there are probably a number of GOOD 97 mechanics down there.

Another well known and reputable 97 guru among cowboy shooters is Outlaw Gambler.   You can find him in the 

MERCHANTS section of this wire.

..........Widder

Good 1897 man to do good for your 97 is Brisco Kid.

Joe & Martha Brisco  (580)873-2663

Located Fort  Towson, Oklahoma

cowboyshooterssupply.com

Email; mbrisco@aol.com

Great folks they are pilgrim.

Jackrabbit Joe #414

• 1 month later...

I built a spare carrier for my Winchester 1897. I purchased a new carrier and stripped the old parts off of an
Ebay purchase, added some new parts that I purchased. Everything was stiff but it is starting to loosen up. I think these old guns have a mind of their own. Everything is working well with one exception. When I rack the slide the trigger moves to half cock or safety and does not fully cock. I can find no visible differences on the old carrier and the new. I install the old carrier and viola it works perfect. I am getting involved in Wild Bunch and will at some point build a spare bolt to boot. I have adjusted all spring tensions with no resolve. Any knowledgeable suggestions welcomed.

I recommend the your check that barrel length.  My shortest 1897 is 18.5". I can easily get 4 fingers between the end of the mag tube and the muzzle. 

Your photo looks a bit short.

20180307_203441.jpg

Just now, Tom Bullweed said:

I recommend the your check that barrel length.  My shortest 1897 is 18.5". I can easily get 4 fingers between the end of the mag tube and the muzzle. 

Your photo looks a bit short.

20180307_203441.jpg

Wrong 97.  That one is 22".

This one is 18.5"0524162116.thumb.jpg.a0d054fe0ee85799c6f9ccb266be0657.jpg

On 8/27/2022 at 12:23 PM, Hawk Eyes Hudson said:

I built a spare carrier for my Winchester 1897. I purchased a new carrier and stripped the old parts off of an
Ebay purchase, added some new parts that I purchased. Everything was stiff but it is starting to loosen up. I think these old guns have a mind of their own. Everything is working well with one exception. When I rack the slide the trigger moves to half cock or safety and does not fully cock. I can find no visible differences on the old carrier and the new. I install the old carrier and viola it works perfect. I am getting involved in Wild Bunch and will at some point build a spare bolt to boot. I have adjusted all spring tensions with no resolve. Any knowledgeable suggestions welcomed.

In a way, they do have a mind of their own. My experience is mostly on the pre WW I production. There are mostly pretty well worn by now, and some have been abused more than one can imagine. In the 60's and 70's the old 97's were practically free, and were treated accordingly. I have several but for two in particular, one had an issue with the hammer following the bolt, would not cock. In an attempt to sleuth the issue, i swapped bolts. That fixed the one, and for some reason the "bad" bolt works good in the other one as well. i just left them that way. 

That whole cocking process involves several parts, and those parts work with each other. The point on the hammer that contacts the bolt for cocking wears, i started butting a dab of grease on it. That relationship controls how far the hammer is pushed back. How far the hammer needs to be pushed back is controlled by the relationship between the trigger sear and the sear notch in the hammer. If you swap triggers and hammers with "new" ones, this relationship sometimes needs a bit of a tune up. If you shorten the trigger, the distance from the pivot to the sear, by stoning the sear surface, the hammer will cock sooner and the hammer needs less movement to cock. This tuning can go south fairly easily, I'm a bit cautious here. 

It helps if you have a stash of parts to try swapping first, modifying second. Because parts wear, to fix an issue the "wear" must be compensated for. It's not easy to add metal. 

My latest project 1897 required quite a few parts to get it running. The parts changed were worth more than what I paid for the shotgun. Sometimes you get two for the price of one, sometimes you pay for two but only get one. 

1280163195_1897Right.thumb.jpg.5b55a613513421726a6b043b9cc9236b.jpg333515920_1897Left.thumb.jpg.aa1877b95ed31102ac3ed74ccdf0986d.jpg

Not a prom queen, but she works fairly well. It does pierce the odd primer, I should "adjust" the firing pin protrusion a bit and make it a bit less pointed, probably a this winter project. I cut the barrel to 20", same as what Winchester did for their riot version. I did use a bit of cold blue to add some color to the barrel. I removed the barrel from the extension, cleaned and smoothed the metal, gave it some color and then replaced the extension. A bit tricky applying just enough torque to align the arrows, you have to know when to stop the grunt. A bit of an ugly duckling, but it's functional. 1913 production, over 100 years old. 

One last comment, I went with a Model 12 for Wild Bunch, a bit more bad a$$ IMO.

BB

Hey BB,

I am under the impression that the Model 12 has to be the trench gun configuration, correct?

2 hours ago, Hawk Eyes Hudson said:

Hey BB,

I am under the impression that the Model 12 has to be the trench gun configuration, correct?

It can be, but does not have to be:

"The Winchester model 1897 and model 12 pump in 12 gauge, civilian or military style are allowed. The IAC ‘93/’97 reproduction Winchester is also approved. This shotgun may be identified by the numbers ‘93/’97 on the left side of the barrel and the words IAC Billerica, MA on the right side of the barrel. Original Winchester 1893 shotguns were declared unsafe by the manufacturer and are NOT legal for use in Wild Bunch Action Shooting™ matches. Fully accurate reproductions are allowed." -page 14, WB Rule book.

On 7/15/2022 at 1:55 PM, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

Good 1897 man to do good for your 97 is Brisco Kid.

Joe & Martha Brisco  (580)873-2663

Located Fort  Towson, Oklahoma

cowboyshooterssupply.com

Email; mbrisco@aol.com

Great folks they are pilgrim.

Jackrabbit Joe #414

I have sent Brisco Kid emails about doing some work on a 97 but haven't heard back from him. 

Archived