SASS Wire Forum

John Wayne impression

Alpo

If you were going to do John Wayne, what routine would you do?

Because, it's not just the sound of the voice. It's also the rhythm of the speech, and frequently when you do an impression of somebody it's something he actually said. Like you going to do Kennedy, and you say, "ask not what your country can do for you", or maybe, "today ich bin ein Berliner". That way, even if you don't really sound like John, people know you're doing John.

So if you were going to do Duke, what would you do?

I'm not gonna hit ya...The hell I'm not.

or

Not hardly.

When I was in the hospital a few years ago, I did a John Wayne quote. I was getting the tubes taken out of my back in a "recovery room" type area, the one where there are pull curtains between you and the patient next to you. Prior to this, every time that anyone came in my room they would ask my name and date of birth. When they did the tube pulling, no one asked any of this. About 5 minutes after they were done, the nurse across the hall said, "No one asked your name." You are XXX XXXXX aren't you?' Being the smart a$$ that I am, I said "No". In a concerned voice, she asked "What IS your name?" In my best John Wayne voice, I replied "Jacob McCandles." A few seconds passed and a male voice from the curtain on my right side said "I thought you was dead." I started laughing, which HURT LIKE HELL. Never did get a clear look at the guy, I assumed that he was as old, or older than, me.

2 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I'm not gonna hit ya...The hell I'm not.

I remember Radar O'Riley doing that one on M*A*S*H.

18 minutes ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

I remember Radar O'Riley doing that one on M*A*S*H.

That's what prompted the question. I watched McLintock! last night, which is where that scene came from. It's a very famous scene, and has been done by many many people over the years. But the movie came out in 1963 - 11 years after Radar O'Reilly was in Korea. And every time I see the movie and it comes to that scene, I wonder why they didn't use a actual period correct Wayne impression.

I have always liked this line and have used it at work, even though I no longer drink. 

George Washington McLintock : I've got a touch of hangover, bureaucrat. Don't push me.

I would just say “Pilgrim” a lot. :lol:

I retired a few years ago from 44 years of teaching high school history.  The last year I taught, I used one of my best John Wayne lines/impressions on a kid.  He had no clue who I was imitating, and sadly, no one else in class did either.  

I fired up the computer projector and showed them a short clip from El Dorado.  One kid said, "Oh that guy, my dad loves him".  Most of the rest of the class had no idea who John Wayne was, even after watching the clip.  I was very sad the rest of the day.

On 7/13/2022 at 3:33 PM, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

I retired a few years ago from 44 years of teaching high school history.  The last year I taught, I used one of my best John Wayne lines/impressions on a kid.  He had no clue who I was imitating, and sadly, no one else in class did either.  

I fired up the computer projector and showed them a short clip from El Dorado.  One kid said, "Oh that guy, my dad loves him".  Most of the rest of the class had no idea who John Wayne was, even after watching the clip.  I was very sad the rest of the day.

My grandsons know who John Wayne was, I made sure of that.

You know he made five movies with Maureen O'Hara. And in all five of them they broke up. In Big Jake he left her, but in McLintock! and Rio Grande and one that I don't rightly recall the name of it (Wings of Eagles? maybe) where he was a Navy pilot early on - World War I time frame. She packed up and left in all three of them. And he let her go. The fifth one - The Quiet Man - she left him there too, but for a change he went after her and fetched her back.

20 minutes ago, Alpo said:

You know he made five movies with Maureen O'Hara. And in all five of them they broke up. In Big Jake he left her, but in McLintock! and Rio Grande and one that I don't rightly recall the name of it (Wings of Eagles? maybe) where he was a Navy pilot early on - World War I time frame. She packed up and left in all three of them. And he let her go. The fifth one - The Quiet Man - she left him there too, but for a change he went after her and fetched her back.

A hard man to live with I reckon. 

Always good, no GREAT entertainment !

Even the non-westerns: HATARI ! ; Donavon's Reef; Brannigan.

42 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Always good, no GREAT entertainment !

Even the non-westerns: HATARI ! ; Donavon's Reef; Brannigan.

The Conqueror...:o:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Seems as often as not he didn't get the girl.

And maybe that endeared him to most guys.

32 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Nobody’s perfect! :blink::lol:
Case in point, Sean Connery. 

14 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

It just proves that the Duke could do comedy,  too.

I know I crack up every time I see the scene where he walks up to Agnes Moorehead and says, "Hail, Mother."

14 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

And maybe that endeared him to most guys.

Nobody’s perfect! :blink::lol:
Case in point, Sean Connery. 

Zardoz?

Whenever I see this picture, I am reminded of a movie review. Don't recall the movie name, but he's a doctor back in the jungle - South American, or African, I don't remember.

It was one of his later movies, when he was old.

337775967_seanConneryZardoz.jpg.4e3b5d12a0467d14b9db7c11968e3ec4.jpg

"Sean Connery, sporting a manly gray ponytail..."

I guess it got manly when it turned gray, because it certainly did not look manly in that picture.

15 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Sean Connery, sporting a manly gray ponytail..."

I guess it got manly when it turned gray, because it certainly did not look manly in that picture.

15 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Whenever I see this picture, I am reminded of a movie review. Don't recall the movie name, but he's a doctor back in the jungle - South American, or African, I don't remember.

Sean Connery, Zardoz.bmp 610.37 kB · 1 download

I gues it got manly when it turned gray, because it certainly did not look manly in that picture.

Medicine Man,  1992.

My memory was saying it started with an M, but the movie coming up andIN memory was Mosquito Coast. Which I believe starred Han Solo, not James Bond.

Oh well. I was getting there. B)

Alpo: you realize Han Solo is not a real person, right? Neither is James Bond.

19 hours ago, Alpo said:

337775967_seanConneryZardoz.jpg.4e3b5d12a0467d14b9db7c11968e3ec4.jpg

How 'manly' can a ponytail be when it's combined with a red diaper, matching suspenders and a pair of dragoon boots?:huh:

21 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

It just proves that the Duke could do comedy,  too.

I know I crack up every time I see the scene where he walks up to Agnes Moorehead and says, "Hail, Mother."

Zardoz?

Exactly!

21 hours ago, Alpo said:

Can you read that line out loud without doing a fake Irish accent?

Archived