SASS Wire Forum

1873 Lever action Firing pin 'SPRING

Always have used the spring a lightened one.

Yay says I.

Yay because I purchased a rifle a few years back, had random failure to fire's, one day while doing a tear down cleaning, I noticed the firing pin spring was cut too short to be useful.  Fixed that issue with a spring from a click pen.  Rifle has been rock solid since.

The spring moves the fp back after firing, in part so that  the tip of the fp doesn't interfere with extraction.  Many have removed it.  I haven't heard any horror stories about stovepiped rounds with it removed.  Individual guns probably vary some. 

The Rifle will function with the spring removed.  The spring returns the Firing Pin tip away from live primers as a round is chambered.  It also moves the Firing Pin and Firing Pin Extension Rod to the rear for a more efficient transfer of energy when struck by the hammer.  The OEM Uberti return Spring is too heavy.  I would suggest an available light return spring from Pioneer Gunworks or Cowboys and Indian Store or ???   You also have the option of cutting the OEM spring down, but go slowly with this.

What is odd is that Kaya's Winchester came with a spring and mine, the exact same rifle, did not. It must be important because that is the only reason I can think of why hers is so much faster.

Original 73s had no spring and the firing pin + extension was all one piece and they work just fine. Just my opinion, Uberti's reproduction design with the 2 piece firing pin system needed the spring to keep the firing pin against the extension. A gap there could cause misfires as the energy of the hammer strike would be used up moving the extension. I use the lighter spring that comes with the longer firing pin.

Ranger Dan,

You're missing an important design difference.  The original Winchester One Piece firing pin included a "retractor" that was activated by the Toggle Link.

3 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Ranger Dan,

You're missing an important design difference.  The original Winchester One Piece firing pin included a "retractor" that was activated by the Toggle Link.

Chaparral uses the original design with the retractor as well.

As noted the originals had a one-piece firing pin BUT had a positive mechanical retractor.  Photo one.  An original 73 action.  Photo 2, the retractor.  Photo three, the pin on the left link that activates the retractor.  Uberti simplified the design by making the pin in two pieces with a spring to retract the firing pin.  The plate in the newer Ubertis is not a retractor.  It merely holds the firing pin extension in place and is much stronger than the older models with a small diameter pin retaining the extension.

P6030155.thumb.jpeg.dbef04a8e54220dfefcc03ced9e1082e.jpeg

P6030156.thumb.jpeg.8193cd6a2144386f8239b7d586d41a9b.jpeg

P6030154.thumb.jpeg.ca6de07c637a5474928e2caf320b363a.jpeg

Yes it retracts the firing pin on opening, it does not hold the FP back when closed as the spring does. As I said, just my opinion, but without the spring the FP could rest against the primer while the FP extension remains retracted, causing a gap. This gap could cause lighter strikes to the primer. Just as a matter of physics, having the FP and extension mated would create a better transfer of energy from the hammer to the primer. Who knows what the engineers were thinking when they designed it?

My 1986 production 1873 Uberti sporting rifle has not had a firing spring since the day it left Italy.  And doesn't suffer from light primer strikes.  Nor does it interfere with ejection as the extractor holds the rim tight to the bolt at the top, while the carrier forces the case upward at an angle, dislodging it from the pin. 

Archived