SASS Wire Forum

Taylor’s Runnin Iron

Bo Bender

I’m looking for any reviews of the Runnin Iron pistols from Taylor’s. I finally got a chance to hold one and the low and wide Bisley style hammer sure is nice for a duelist shooter. They offer a short stroke version too, would be interested in hearing opinions on SS pistols for duelist. 

Absolutely loved them when I had them.  As a fellow Duelist I found them almost perfect for one handed shooting.  I say almost perfect because I prefer the extra heft of the SASS Vaqueros.  That's the ONLY reason I switched.  Buy with confidence.  You won't be sorry. 

As a gunfighter, I shoot a pair of the short stroked running irons.  Absolutely love them.  Can't imagine it would be any different for a duelist shooter.  Since I work on guns anyway, I bought the plain ones instead of the Taylor's polished version.  They took a lot of work to get them slicked up.  Unless you are really good with the insides of a revolver or have someone in mind to work on them for you, in my opinion, the difference in price for the Taylor's polished version would be money well spent.  

2 hours ago, Bo Bender said:

I’m looking for any reviews of the Runnin Iron pistols from Taylor’s. I finally got a chance to hold one and the low and wide Bisley style hammer sure is nice for a duelist shooter. They offer a short stroke version too, would be interested in hearing opinions on SS pistols for duelist. 

I have not shot the Runnin' Irons as I have a fairly large had and the Bisley Vaqueros fit me better than anything else. I am also a Duelist shooter and I highly recommend the short-stroked in whatever you get. I am currently shooting Bisleys with Shotgun Boogie's short-stroke kits. They are a Super Blackhawk style hammer and trigger and they are slick. If possible I recommend you try some different guns before you decide what to buy.

Randy

Got several pairs of Cattleman with lowered hammers. I shoot gunfighter.  Got enough Colts with standard hammers.  Lowered hammers don't seem to add much to anything. 

I have a pair of Pietta with low hammers and short stroke.  In these guns, the timing was way off.  With short stroke you're trying to move parts with 2/3 the ark.   Also,  had to use stronger hammer spring to get reliable ignition.   I've heard others say the same.  

I've had two pair of short stroked Running Irons.  One pair now rests as my backups to my OMVs.  The hammers are an ergonomic thing.  They either work for you or they don't.  They worked for me.  One word of caution.  Not all of the internals on the standard and short stroked guns inter-change.  So if you keep a spare parts kit, you might want to ask Taylors what those parts are and stock them.  I had to wait quite awhile to get parts from Italy during the Covid epidemic.

I shoot gunfighter and have a pair of Taylor's Runnin Irons with the short stroke kit. I also had Taylor's tune them.  I have been using them about a year.  I previously used Vaqueros and had the lowered Super Blackhawk hammers installed. I am definitely a fan of lowered hammers for quicker one-handed shooting. The Taylors are lighter than Vaqueros and feel great in the hand. The Vaqueros are smoother and more solidly built. I am happy with both.

To be honest, I'm not sure of the short stroke kit yet. While I like the shorter travel distance, the short stroke definitely makes the pull stiffer and not as smooth. I don't know if one factor outweighs the other. I was also not a huge fan of the Taylor's tuning. I have done the work on all of my other guns. The tuning seemed a little pricey, and Im not sure they did anything I couldn't have done fairly quickly and easily. 

I've been duelist shooting a pair of the 357's with 4-3/4 barrel for about 5 years now. No short stroke. Been run real hard too.

Got them from Longhunter and they finally needed an overhaul at EOT.

Jared took them in and it took just a couple hours and they was like brand new again. I only paid for parts.

I'll probably get another good 5 years with them.

I highly recommend the Runnin Irons from Longhunter.

Archived