SASS Wire Forum

Wasps are the devil

Dang wasp got me this evening 3 times. Once on the ankle bone. Found out I was allergic a couple years ago. Apparently the venom or whatever I is never leaves some people's system. I'm a some people. I took some benadryl and a big helping of Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Rye. I don't know which one helped but it doesn't hurt anymore. My foot does look like a baby's foot now though. If it's like last time, it'll continue to swell for another 36hours or so. 

Yee, and I can't stress this enough...haw

Watch your breathing etc. 

A chum of mine dang near died when he reacted to a sting from those little^%$&%^*(*(

I poison 'em or burn them out.

God's creatures ????

Don't think so!

I had a major colony of the imported German yellow jackets in my shed.  The County Ag Adviser said to mix up a strong solution of Dawn or other dish soap in a weed sprayer and cautiously spray the nest.  I waited until dark when most of them were at the nest and sprayed.  They fell dead the instant the soapy water hit them -- tried to fly but fell out of the air.  I didn't get a single sting, but picked up a little more than a 5gal buckets of dead wasps the next morning.  

Since then I've been using the soap to kill out wasp nests at our range.  It works every time.   

The wasp killer sprays you buy all spray quite a ways, but accordingly, they seem to run out of spray just about the time the nest of wasps gets mad.  Not a good plan.  Try the soap.  It also kills ants, bees, black widow spiders and every other insect I've tried it on.  And it is cheap, safe, and easy.

28 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I had a major colony of the imported German yellow jackets in my shed.  The County Ag Adviser said to mix up a strong solution of Dawn or other dish soap in a weed sprayer and cautiously spray the nest.  I waited until dark when most of them were at the nest and sprayed.  They fell dead the instant the soapy water hit them -- tried to fly but fell out of the air.  I didn't get a single sting, but picked up a little more than a 5gal buckets of dead wasps the next morning.  

Since then I've been using the soap to kill out wasp nests at our range.  It works every time.   

The wasp killer sprays you buy all spray quite a ways, but accordingly, they seem to run out of spray just about the time the nest of wasps gets mad.  Not a good plan.  Try the soap.  It also kills ants, bees, black widow spiders and every other insect I've tried it on.  And it is cheap, safe, and easy.

What’s the mix ratio soap to water?

Is there anything else that you add?

Thanks for this tip, by the way. 

The last time I got stung by a wasp was a few years ago in Oregon on my motorcycle. That darn thing went right up my jacket sleeve. I felt something fly up my jacket sleeve and WHAM! Stung me once in the tricep. I pulled over and was trying to get my jacket off and he got me twice in the shoulder. Then the little bastage flew away as I got the jacket off. :lol:

Last week got stung 3 times by Guinee wasps, 1 in the top of my head , 2 behind my right ear. Today was walking on the carport barefoot and stepped on a red wasp or a hornet, not sure got me in my toe next to my big toe and boy did it hurt even after putting bleach on it. Swelled up like a big ole peanut also. I'm tired of stingy critters, oh and spiders also.

20 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

What’s the mix ratio soap to water?

Is there anything else that you add?

Thanks for this tip, by the way. 

It doesn't seem to matter.  I poured about a shot glass of soap into a 3 gal sprayer.  I think half of that would have done the job.   Nothing else added but water.  It's pretty amazing.  

A couple weeks ago, our host range had a huge aggregation of the big black and orange tarantula Hawk wasps on two of bushes--maybe a couple thousand of them.   One bush was right outside the women's restroom, so it was a problem.  It took just a short time to have nearly all of the wasps belly- up on the ground.  They just curl up on contact and drop out of the air. 

21 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

It doesn't seem to matter.  I poured about a shot glass of soap into a 3 gal sprayer.  I think half of that would have done the job.   Nothing else added but water.  It's pretty amazing.  

A couple weeks ago, our host range had a huge aggregation of the big black and orange tarantula Hawk wasps on two of bushes--maybe a couple thousand of them.   One bush was right outside the women's restroom, so it was a problem.  It took just a short time to have nearly all of the wasps belly- up on the ground.  They just curl up on contact and drop out of the air. 

Thank you. I will try this. 

If this stuff takes out tarantula hawks that is great. I am not usually afraid of wasps, hornets and bees- respectful, but not afraid. But tarantula hawks? Those suckers used to dive bomb me when I used to rock climb years ago. I guess they thought I was a big tarantula. :lol:

Soap removes waters surface tension.

Bugs breathe through spiracles in their sides. Small holes through the skin. 

Water usually just rolls off their waxy surface but add soap and it suddenly can enter their little bodies. 

The dish soap allows the water to coat the little guys, drowns em DRT and makes em too heavy to fly.

I have also used WD40 or pb blaster to great affect.

Well, all I can say is that it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

My body chemistry must be 'Anti-Bee'.     I get popped by the flying critters but rarely stung..... maybe a couple times in my life.

I've walked across swarming Yellow Jacket nest and never stung.

Years back, while walking thru some woods with friends, we walked across some old dead tree brush and a swarm of YJ's came up and nabbed

my friends with about 20-30 stings each.   I helped slap the little buggers off of their arms and backs and I didn't get even 1 sting.

I've mowed across a YJ nest with no problems.   

Sorry to hear about your Wasp issues.   If your trigger fingers start to swell and you have trouble shooting,  I'll take that new RAPIDE

off your hands.   I'll give you a couple cans of Wasp spray for that new Rapide Scorpius.

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Well, all I can say is that it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

My body chemistry must be 'Anti-Bee'.     I get popped by the flying critters but rarely stung..... maybe a couple times in my life.

I've walked across swarming Yellow Jacket nest and never stung.

Years back, while walking thru some woods with friends, we walked across some old dead tree brush and a swarm of YJ's came up and nabbed

my friends with about 20-30 stings each.   I helped slap the little buggers off of their arms and backs and I didn't get even 1 sting.

Sorry to hear about your Wasp issues.   If your trigger fingers start to swell and you have trouble shooting,  I'll take that new RAPIDE

off your hands.   I'll give you a couple cans of Wasp spray for that new Rapide Scorpius.

..........Widder

The reason is obvious. They know their own. :P:lol::rolleyes:

Sorry…couldn’t help myself…

48 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The reason is obvious. They know their own. :P:lol::rolleyes:

Sorry…couldn’t help myself…

BUT....... I'm not the QUEEN bee.

:lol:

..........Widder

3 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

My body chemistry must be 'Anti-Bee'.     

Them Bees take one look at you and figger you've got it bad enough without getting stung too.:ph34r:

I'll never run a weed eater while wearing shorts again. Hit a ground nest of yellow jackets. Should I have to say more gentlemen? 

If ya don’t wanna, or can’t, get within range with that hand held sprayer get yourself a GOOD super soaker water gun and use the dawn solution. Works wonders! 

On 7/12/2022 at 12:28 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The last time I got stung by a wasp was a few years ago in Oregon on my motorcycle. That darn thing went right up my jacket sleeve. I felt something fly up my jacket sleeve and WHAM! Stung me once in the tricep. I pulled over and was trying to get my jacket off and he got me twice in the shoulder. Then the little bastage flew away as I got the jacket off. :lol:

Got it twice under my helmet and once on the wrist while riding!

On 7/11/2022 at 11:07 PM, Tennessee williams said:

Dang wasp got me this evening 3 times. Once on the ankle bone. Found out I was allergic a couple years ago. Apparently the venom or whatever I is never leaves some people's system. I'm a some people. I took some benadryl and a big helping of Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Rye. I don't know which one helped but it doesn't hurt anymore. My foot does look like a baby's foot now though. If it's like last time, it'll continue to swell for another 36hours or so. 

Yee, and I can't stress this enough...haw

You better be kerful there ol TW, I've heard tell of some stung foots begin to dry up and look all shriveled....kinda like a chicken foot....and you know what happens to chicken feet around the William's household. :o

Kajun

A friend of mine was showering of in his outdoor shower he built by the swimming pool. A wasp flew out from under the grate right up his swim trunks and stung him in the hangydown parts. :blink:

7 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

A friend of mine was showering of in his outdoor shower he built by the swimming pool. A wasp flew out from under the grate right up his swim trunks and stung him in the hangydown parts. :blink:

I can vouch for the suckyness of that situation.

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Well, that something ole TW says he don't have to worry about.

:lol:

..........Widder

17 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

What is worse then being stung by a wasp?  The wasp lives to tell about it.

Yes! I bet that buggar is waiting for me. Maybe I'll load up some of my and Widders wasp killers and go hunting.

Nah, I think I'll leave 'em alone!

Archived