SASS Wire Forum

Any one go back to their wood guncart and give up their Rugged Gear cart...

I have 2 rugged gear carts,  one the old style and the other the newer style. I only use them when I go to big matches. I built my wood gun cart to fit in my car and it just works better for monthly matches. When you're going all day long like at major 2+ day matches the rugged is definitely easier on the body,  but I like my wooden one much better. 

JEL

My back decided no more wood for me.  The rats got my new Rugged Gear I had stored in the shed so I bought one of those all aluminum carts.  So far I like it.

14 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

My back decided no more wood for me.  The rats got my new Rugged Gear I had stored in the shed so I bought one of those all aluminum carts.  So far I like it.

Larson,  where did your get that? I'm looking for a lightweight cart for my 7 year old so he has his own. I'm tired of pulling the extra weight:P,  in reality he wants to have his own. 

JEL

I am still using the 4 wheel wood gun cart I purchased as a kit when I started back in 2002.  Just changed out the wheels this year as the tires side walls rotted out.  :P :D

Range Tactical was a vendor at EOT this year.  While there he met The Brisco Kid and I believe Cowboy Shooter's Supply is now carrying them and will have them at EOT again next year.

3 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Wow,  those are nice,  but a little more than I want to spend on a cart for him just yet. 

Does anyone remember that tiny metal cart that held 2 guns and had a small tool box like box on the bottom and a small metal pole for a handle? I'd love to get one of those for him. That'd be perfect. 

JEL

I parted ways with my RG and went back to wood.  Sold Gray (truck) and bought SKI (Spending Kids Inherence) a class B+.  RG couldn’t fit in the available cargo bay so I bought a classy bare bones wood cart that did fit.

Hey J.E.L. google 3 board guys and take a look at their wood carts, I just got their 2 gun cart and love it, breaks down in minutes and has plenty of room for an all day shoot, it’s light and easy to handle, your 7 year old won’t have a problem with it! No dog in the hunt just like to pass on what really works!

10 hours ago, John E. Law said:

Wow,  those are nice,  but a little more than I want to spend on a cart for him just yet. 

Does anyone remember that tiny metal cart that held 2 guns and had a small tool box like box on the bottom and a small metal pole for a handle? I'd love to get one of those for him. That'd be perfect. 

JEL

I believe you’re talking about a Papa Dave gun cart. He’s no longer with us (RIP). I have one I use as a backup when four of us are shooting. When it’s just three of us we’re able to squeeze 6 long guns into a four gun Rugged Gear cart.

Would I go back to a wooden cart? Only if the sky opened up and dropped a @Yul Losecart on my doorstep.

10 hours ago, John E. Law said:

JEL

I think you might be talking about the Papa Dave gun cart.  It’s with great sadness I have to tell you that Dave passed away a couple of years ago.  If you really want one you can try contacting @Tennessee williams and see if there might be one someone wants to part with.  

Yeah, the Papa Dave cart is what you're talking about. I gave away my wood cart as soon as I got my first Papa Dave. I pick it up one handed out of the truck or trunk of my Challenger already put together. That's pretty nice. It will hold 4 long guns too. There may be something in the works to continue the line. @Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 would know more about that though if you want to contact him.

53 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I think you might be talking about the Papa Dave gun cart.  It’s with great sadness I have to tell you that Dave passed away a couple of years ago.  If you really want one you can try contacting @Tennessee williams and see if there might be one someone wants to part with.  

I just did a search and that's the exact cart I as talking about. I used to travel and shoot with an Elder Statesman named Dead Eye Bob about 8-10 years ago who had one. Bob moved to Texas and I haven't heard from him since. If he's still with us and if anyone shoots with him tell him I said Howdy.

I will get with TW and see if he has one.

Thanks all,

JEL

I switched from from a Rugged Gear Gun Cart to the RangeRunner Cowboy Classic 15 cart. Yul Lose was kind enough to build me a fantastic oak chest  that fits perfectly into the front of the Guncart. 

AA07DDE1-4503-4AE4-90F7-9E92E7C8D868.jpeg

1EB4E51A-C550-47C7-8ABA-1B8472E88EB7.jpeg

7357AF8B-230A-4449-8545-1C81F67467E0.jpeg

I went from wood to Rugged Gear to Range Tactical. I like the RT the best. It folds up flat, is more robust than the RG. Yes they are pretty spendy, but worth it. I have the 5 gun model. 
one other advantage I’ve found especially helpful after my knee surgery is they work as a Walker to give a little more stability when walking on uneven ground at a range. 

yo answer the OP, I wound not go back to a wood cart. 

I got sick and tired of the Rugged Gear cart. Started with the Small one, then on to the Big one. Even with the canvas compartments, it is a mess trying to keep things in order. There is no place to sit when I need too, and that cheezy off the side stool they have is next to worthless IMO. Then, the footprint when folded is HUGE. I went to a Mustang cart and it is far superior IMO. I like the box on top for small items, the large Box/seat works great for all my ammo. It folds down to a much smaller foot print than my Rugged gear cart, and will easily fit into the trunk of a small car. It's easy to put hangers on the side to hold drinks and "Stuff". IMO the only thing better about the Rugged Gear cart was that it pushed a little easier... but with large wheels on the Mustange it rolls over things very easily. JMO

1 hour ago, Tennessee williams said:

Yeah, the Papa Dave cart is what you're talking about. I gave away my wood cart as soon as I got my first Papa Dave. I pick it up one handed out of the truck or trunk of my Challenger already put together. That's pretty nice. It will hold 4 long guns too. There may be something in the works to continue the line. @Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 would know more about that though if you want to contact him.

We are working on trying to revive the Papa Dave gun cart ( it might be a while) it's a great cart and I'd like to see Papa Dave's legacy live on.

Randy

2 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

We are working on trying to revive the Papa Dave gun cart ( it might be a while) it's a great cart and I'd like to see Papa Dave's legacy live on.

Randy

I'll be waiting to hear.

JEL

57 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

I got sick and tired of the Rugged Gear cart. Started with the Small one, then on to the Big one. Even with the canvas compartments, it is a mess trying to keep things in order. There is no place to sit when I need too, and that cheezy off the side stool they have is next to worthless IMO. Then, the footprint when folded is HUGE. I went to a Mustang cart and it is far superior IMO. I like the box on top for small items, the large Box/seat works great for all my ammo. It folds down to a much smaller foot print than my Rugged gear cart, and will easily fit into the trunk of a small car. It's easy to put hangers on the side to hold drinks and "Stuff". IMO the only thing better about the Rugged Gear cart was that it pushed a little easier... but with large wheels on the Mustange it rolls over things very easily. JMO

I feel the same and did the same.

no , i only used my RG cart for sporting clays and recently returned it to its previous owner , ive always used a converted golf bag cart for three gun and SASS , i just built a second that is even lighter and folds more compactly , but the first one folds really compact and doesnt weigh all that much , very stable and move easily , 

You can check out my carts here. http://www.sswdistributors.com

If you click on the Cowboy Album there are a few more there too.

Been using mine for about 20 years I think a timber cart is 100 times better than any other cart and is more cowboy.

Only weighs about 30 lbs without ammo etc. and you can sit on it, stand on it, stick your shoot badges on it.

12mm CD ply not that heavy. With two people it's a breeze. :wub:

Archived