SASS Wire Forum

New steel Targets for our club

Our cowboy club is planning to purchase some large circle targets.  I have seen online where High Caliber Targets in Broken Arrow, OK advertises what our club is looking for. Does anyone have any knowledge of them and can provide us with any information, good or bad, on this business?  We are in North Carolina and want to make sure they are reputable before we send them any money. 

17 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Shipping is $$$$$$$$

If you know someone shooting Land Run perhaps they could pick up the targets and drive them to NC.  I'm going to pick up some very heavy targets in Utah this Fall for a local club.  It will save ~$200 in shipping.

AR500 or 550 is the best Choice for Steel Targets, will last a Long Time on with Cowboy Loads and Ring Really Well.    Just Priced five 8" round and and five 10" Rounds for our Local Club and the Cost was $400 all targets had a 5/8" Mounting Hole in them.  

3 hours ago, Blue Eyed Drifter said:

AR500 or 550 is the best Choice for Steel Targets, will last a Long Time on with Cowboy Loads and Ring Really Well.    Just Priced five 8" round and and five 10" Rounds for our Local Club and the Cost was $400 all targets had a 5/8" Mounting Hole in them.  

They will only last if they are properly taken care of.  AR steels (400/500/550) will warp from repeated use in CAS. At a minimum, targets should be be turned around once a year. Those that see heavy use every 6 months. 

Where mild steel bows away from the shooter, AR steel bows out towards the shooter. Once they warp there is no practical way to fix them. Attempts to force them flat will cause stress cracks. 

3 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

We have nothing but AR500 we've been shooting for 10 years. Nothing has warped yet!

After 10 years I'm sure SOMETHING has warped around there....

taking a side road here--you knew someone would go off-topic

when we replaced ours we went with squares = you get more square inches of target without any waste for same amount of $$ (unless you have tiny little circles cut from the waste)

and now back to your regularly scheduled topic :)

Howdy Slim, you know most of our targets and the free hang mounting system by Arntzen we use. We also changed most of our other targets and modified stand attachment to that style. Since we did that several years ago I cannot remmber the last time we had any splatter, they are that good.....and they really ring. Alota of thoses came from Arntzen targets (Tombstones, Coffin Lids, Cowboys...etc), he has retired and sold his stuff to Made Targets. You're more than welcome to use some of them Sat. if you have someone coming your way. Good Luck:)

Steel Plate Targets - Tough Alloy Steel Targets | MADE Targets

Facebook@madellctargets

Jefro:ph34r:Relax-Enjoy

3 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

taking a side road here--you knew someone would go off-topic

when we replaced ours we went with squares = you get more square inches of target without any waste for same amount of $$ (unless you have tiny little circles cut from the waste)

and now back to your regularly scheduled topic :)

You are correct on that.  Square give you most targets for your money

On 7/11/2022 at 4:15 PM, Sandhills Slim, SASS #22998 said:

... High Caliber Targets in Broken Arrow, OK advertises what our club is looking for. Does anyone have any knowledge of them and can provide us with any information, good or bad, on this business?  ...

Ten replies, eleven counting mine and not single cowpoke answered your question.

Slim

I can not anwser your question about the target supplier you list.  But my Vix-n  and i also make  custom gun targets  for cowboy clubs. We use AR 400 / 500 /550 steel.   If tell me what you are looking for I will glad give you a quote.   As far as shipping  goes. If we have to ship them there will be a cost.  If we can work something out with travel or other Cowboys it mite save you money.

We are based out of Cincinnati Oh

Blue eyed Drifter.

VIX-N Targets

Blue Eyed Drifter, I am going to the range tomorrow to make a determination as to the exact size we need. It will probably be a 20” or 22” circle. I will contact you after that. Thank you. 

On 7/12/2022 at 4:11 PM, Jefro, SASS#69420 said:

Steel Plate Targets - Tough Alloy Steel Targets | MADE Targets

Facebook@madellctargets

Jefro:ph34r:Relax-Enjoy

Can’t answer your question either but I’ll second Made targets. Purchased from them, close to where I live so I could pickup. Quality targets, good guy to do business with, promptly returned phone calls. I think  they will cut special orders if they do not have what you want. 
might be worth a phone call. 
LF. 

Squares and rectangles waste zero material. I have a large plasma table and have cut many targets. Can't believe the waste after cutting fancy shapes. 

If squares or rectangles warp they can be cut in halves, thirds, or quarters, and used as plates for shotgun knock downs. Can't do that with fancy shapes. The larger the targets the quicker they'll warp. 

We use squares and rectangles at Hell On Wheels. Never had a person complain about target shape. 

Squares are way to go.  Can hang them as diamonds as well. Font ask mr why, but diamonds harder to hit!

we bought 4x8 sheets of AR 500.  called a local tech school, they cut it for free with plasma cutter. If you use a torch you will likely lose the temper in the steel. 

I recently bought 4-AR500, 20"x14"x1/2" silhouettes from Krate Tactical for $275 shipped this past April for my private range. I used their Elephant T-post hangers to mount them. Those and the t-posts were an additional $75. I am super happy with them. Well made and great service. The targets are awesome and ring like crazy. 

As for warping? My club bought 3- 4'x8'x1/2" AR500 sheets that we had cut into targets over 13 years ago. They are used for every match and there are no signs of warping. My other personal targets are from Action Targets. They are AR500 3/8th plates and are 15 years old and have been shot a LOT. Cowboy, 9mm, 38, 357, 45acp, 38 Super, 40 S&W, and more. (No Rifles except pistol caliber) and they still like new. I'm sure warping of the AR steel does happen, but in my experience it must take a lot to do it.

Also, and this is a little off topic, Target paint. If you haven't tried Rainbow Technology's Steel Target Paint and are still using the garbage big box store stuff you're wasting your money. RT's paint is made just for targets. It has more pigment than standard paints. It covers fast, isn't runny, and completely covers using only a little bit, I'm getting at least 4 times more target coverage per can. The cost is comparable to midgrade spray paint and cheaper than the higher end stuff.  It also hold up to cowboy loads for 3 times the amount of shots on target, but about the same with SG targets...not long. The stuff is great  https://shop.actiontarget.com/content/rtc-paint-rainbow-technology-steel-target-paint.asp

The Krate are the 4 left targets, Action middle circles, and the SG Swingers and 5 inch circles I made. They are all painted with the target paint

JEL

targets.jpg

There is a now disbanded club north of Alexandria, La that has all the steel targets for sale you could want. The club is Jackson Hole Regulators. The targets and prices are on facebook with good pictures. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll put you in contact with them.

Sandhills Slim and Blue Eyed Drifter if you work something out and it will fit and not too much weight for my 4 runner. I could bring it to you since I tend to shoot with both of you on my many trips.

AR steel is not Armor Plate. The AR stands for Abrasion Resistant and other than targets is used for concrete trucks, etc and any type of industrial equipment that needs their stuff not to wear out due to constant abrasion.

Bowing is normal with time but can be controlled by the thickness of the targets.  3/8 in is fairly normal and our club used it for years. We marked the targets and rotated them each use. They still bowed!. Once it bows in a particular direction, it is impossible to reverse. Wild Bunch almost destroyed them so we switched to 1/2 inch and other than being heavy, they haven't bowed in 5 years. We still reverse them occasionally but usually don't pay attention anymore.

Just a view from my direction. Your view my differ! :rolleyes:

Archived