SASS Wire Forum

Another thing to thank the pop pop boys for

Alpo

Here in Florida fireworks are pretty much illegal. All you can legally have are sparklers and smoke bombs. If it makes any kind of POP, it's against the law.

Nobody cares. Even the cops.

Many dogs, including my Worthless child Worthless.jpg.3d5cd483ef7c739c207977d3c3e16e35.jpg are gun shy. When explosions start going off outside, they cower in the corner and shake, and pee on the floor sometimes.

We have basically two days that we celebrate with fireworks - January 1st and July 4th. And if people would just do their pop pop pop crap on those two days, it would be acceptable. But they don't. They start three or four days before, and they continue three or four days after. So instead of having two days of fireworks we have about 2 weeks of fireworks.

After the dog has supper she has to go outside and pee. But during the week of explosions she won't go outside the house at night, because of the explosions. She's afraid to go out the door.

From about the 2nd to the 6th I had my alarm set to go off at 1:30 in the morning. I figured by that time people had gone to sleep, and the explosions would have stopped. I was correct. There were no pop pops, so she would go outside and pee. 7 or so hours late, but at least she didn't have to hold it for 14.

It's now the 10th (or possibly the 11th - I'm retired I don't have to keep track) and the pop pop boys are through for the rest of the year. After supper she has no problem with going out to pee.

It is now 1:47 in the morning. Why, you may wonder, am I up at this ungodly hour? Simple. About 1:30 in the morning, the dog comes and wakes me up so I can take her out to pee. She got used to it during that week of the pop pop, and even though the pop pop is over, she still wants to go out and pee.

So thank you, thank you, thank you. It was not enough that you had to have explosions going off for 8 or 10 hours a night for a week. It was not enough that you left the residue of your pop pops in the street, to make more trash. It was not enough that you were attempting to fit the neighborhood on fire, since we had not had any rain for a week.

No, that was not enough. You needed to give the dog another bad habit.

Sad to hear :(

It's the same thing here on our Swiss National Day (August 1st). We don't have pets but I know people who travel abroad (Italy, France etc.) with their dogs due to the daft fireworks. If we're lucky there's risk of forest fires during that time and fireworks is strictly forbidden (and people abide).

Another problem in our neck of the woods is that a lot of this stuff contains plastic which lands on meadowland. Cows, sheeps and whatever eat that trash... It should be easy to make firework at least only with decomposable materals as cardboard and wood.

My little Minn Pinn ( God rest her soul and I miss her terribly) she developed that habit before she turned a year.  She was born on Christmas Day 2009. We have the same fireworks problem here in Ky. So for the last 12 years she would get up at 2 am daily to go pee. And then back up at exactly 5 am wanting her breakfast. Dogs have an amazing sense of time. Kount , my German Shepard spent his first 18 months with her. Now he keeps the same exact schedule. He’ll bust through the bedroom door (it’s a folder) at the same two times a day.  Obviously I have a very screwy sleep schedule. Thank God I’m retired.

In Florida, flying or exploding fireworks are illegal to use except on three dates. Those being the 4th of July, Dec. 31 and Jan. 1. Sparklers, cones and non-flying/non-exploding fireworks are legal year round.

Like Alpo's neighborhood, they are still lighting mortars/exploding type fireworks around here. 

I've never owned a pet that was scared of fireworks. Alex, my last dog, loved fireworks. He would go crazy anytime I went near the garage cabinet drawer that I kept bottle rockets in. He loved those things. He was part black lab/part dobie and loved to chase (and catch) things. He caught plenty of squirrels, lizards, birds, a possum, fruit rats and the like...never caught a bottle rocket.

He had a "girlfriend" dog next door named Casey. Casey was a yellow lab, overweight, lovable as all get out but deathly afraid of fireworks. 

We would watch Casey on occasion when the neighbors went out of town. One of those occasions was the 4th of July. When the fireworks started going off, she went an hid under the bed. We thought, that's it for her tonight...it wasn't. We continued our activities of grilling out, etc. After a few hours, I went to check on Casey...nowhere to be found. We searched the house several times for places she could fit/hide, nothing. We said, uh oh, she got out somehow and hauled butt, so we went looking though the neighborhood...nothing, went by the owners sister's house a few blocks away, nothing. We came home thinking "how are we going to tell the neighbors about this?"

We sat down to  watch some tv and a idea hit me, lets get Alex to find Casey. I told Alex "Go find Casey" so he starts sniffing around for about 30 seconds and leads us to the spare bedroom closet. We'd checked the closet twice already. Each time the sliding closet door had been closed as it was now. We opened the closet door and saw nothing but boxes of stuff stored in there. Just as I was getting ready to close the closet, one of the boxes moved slightly. Yep, there she was, wedged in between the boxes and the wall. She had somehow opened the sliding door, nudged the boxes out from the wall, closed the door and wedged herself between the boxes and the wall for what was now 3 - 4 hours.

Alex had saved the day. We made sure that we didn't watch Casey on "fireworks" days again.

Here in the PRK, our neighborhood goes all out for quality fireworks.
They rent a port-a-potty and put up a wading pool for the kiddies.

The fireworks are fairgrounds quality, and run about 2 1/2 hours.
We have no boozers, no fights, no belligerents, no ANTIFA/BLM and the county sheriffs are elsewhere.
This whole section of the county is one big fireworks show.

I'm pleasantly surprised, considering I'm living in the Marxist part of the country.

I remember the days of living in a neighborhood. Thank God I don’t have to put up with that here. Y’all have my sympathies.

You have it pretty good.  We have the 4th of July almost every Friday night. A local school district insists on putting up a war zone of aerial fireworks every time a kid gets a touchdown or graduates.  I'm talking about 30 or so of the big aerial bombs for every home team touchdown. 

People spend days afterwards looking for their freaked out run-away pets. 

It is pure California lunacy.  I don't want to know how it all gets paid for. 

Anything for the kids self- esteem and psyche!

My dog Maddie is deathly afraid of the boomer fireworks. 
I have had other dogs that were afraid of them, but Maddie is by far the most sensitive to the fireworks. 
In Oregon the weeks leading up to July 4th and Jan 1st were noisy. Maddie hated it and we hated giving her tranquilizers so we only did on the big event nights. 
Now we live in the land of self absorbed, self centered adult children. 
It’s ridiculous here. All these losers elect leftist douches to office yet rebel against the laws the douches put forth because “Everyone should obey the laws except for me, because I am me and I need to do as I please.” :angry:
We have a guy or family in the next neighborhood to the east that randomly sets off boomers in the afternoon and evenings all the time. I think I have narrowed the culprits down to 4 houses but I am still not sure who does it. I talked with the police but the events are so random they can’t have an officer just sitting around waiting for this butthead to launch fireworks at random. I understand that. 
Previously, I was on a mission to catch this (expletive) and do something egregious to him and his peace of mind but I am leaving, so £#€¥ this place. 

Every evening this POS would set off one or two boomers was a night of terror for my Maddie. I truly hope he gets his one day. 

Archived